Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-30-2005, 10:50 AM   #31
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschon
that's pretty arrogant coming from someone with a 20yr old shitbox bmw... i'd rather take a civic over your car. just because it's a bmw doesn't mean its the best thing ever.

Why does the car the man drives have anything to do with the value of his opinion? Why you have to bash other people's cars? You jealous or something? That's low.

It's too bad the reputation meter is off.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:10 AM   #32
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschon
and do you really think bmw's dont rust.. that 'in 10 years' comment is stupid.. these canadian winters + salt will kill any car.. I'm pretty sure if he's looking to buy a 2000+ vehicle.. he'll more than likely stay in new vehicles all the time.. so 10 years from now is irrelevant.
actually ithink YOUR comment is pretty stupid...when you look at the way bmw's and the majority of other luxury cars (mercedes, audi, lexus etc) their bodies are LESS prone to rust...than say a 95' civic bubble where the sheet metal is 'adequate'.

Case and point, I drive a 2002 Civic, and in 2004 after getting my car regularly washed at the automated places at gas stations and whatnot, i noticed small RUST forming at the trunk portion...took it to honda...what did they say "yeah this is not the first time we've seen this, you gotta make sure you "DRY the car really well after a car wash or it just rusts""
can you say WTF?! how many people can say they've experienced the same on a 2 year old bmw i'm sure there are cases but nowhere as many civic owners.

Bottomline Civic's are GREAT cars...20 buck fillups any1? ...great for maintainance cuz their a dime a dozen......insurance is relatively cheaper....etc

however bmw is a MUCH better driving experience....you get luxury.....you get that extra space if you should need it, best of all you have performance....mmm 540 6speed
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 11:31 AM   #33
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

Civic:
Pros
-warranty
-cheap on gas
-cheap on insurance
Cons
-get bashed by max members for driving a civic (who cares)

BMW:
Pros
-luxory
Cons
-shit for winter driving
-parts and labour are expensive

...smart choice would be to take the civic
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 11:37 AM   #34
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim .E.
Civic:

Cons
-shit for winter driving
not necessarily true...i know a couple ppl that drive 5'rs in the winter. A set of Winter Tires, safe driving techniques (ie nto flooring it through turns lol) and in most cases you'll be better off than a FWD car
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 11:44 AM   #35
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

you quoted me for saying, "Civics are shit for winter driving"....how so?
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:16 PM   #36
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

RWD's are better in winter if you know what you are doing.

Keeping in mind that the only difference in driving a RWD or FWD car is when you hit the gas:
FWD- power on= understeer, power off = understeer.
RWD- power on= oversteer, power off=understeer.

540i with VSC on with bad driver will humiliate a Civic with a good driver in snow.
540i with VSC off and good driver will humiliate Civic with good driver in snow.
540i with VSC off and bad driver will get humiliated by Civic with good driver in snow.
540i > Civc with bad driver
540i > Civic all things dry

Again, performance wise, a 540i is not in the same class as the Civic. The only issue here is the price. 540i will be more expensive to run, but- double the cylinders, double the doors, double the hoursepower, double the image, double the fun- and for way less than double the money, the 540i seems like a better deal afterall.

Get a Civic if you can't afford the BMW.

Last edited by M3ti Compact; 10-30-2005 at 12:20 PM.
M3ti Compact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:58 PM   #37
EuroSpectacle
88iS

Send a message via MSN to EuroSpectacle
justin its a maximum of 1000 thousand. from the government. for hybrids

well basically the ad read the 540 was 5 speed and that it had some warrenty left on it. and its only 65 km.

basically was thinking the bimmer. becuase its safer, and bigger, but the down side is is this is the car i share with my mom.. and shes like im 57 and i dont want to drive 5 spd anymore. ( i found an auto 540 as well) but who wants and auto bimmer. so im torn between the two pretty much. but i dont see personally any good choices. we need trunks space .. and the new si has a bit bigger trunk than the civic that got smashed (2001si) and the performance stuff is looking nice.. but as for anything else thats new and out currently, I think they are all shit.. i dont want any cars under 13,000

so the kia,echo,arieo- basically the shit box market is out.

the compacts.. i dont want a corrola i dont want a mazda 3. 6 is concidered dont want a maxima dont want an altima. dont want a sentra ser vspec, maybe a tsx but no other acura. dont really want a toyota..
new accord coupe is an option.. the accord hybrid is still 256 hp.

hold on guys i gotta reserch more i was hoping my little baby civic wasnt a write off.. atleast they didnt low ball me.

AND ABOUT A WITNESS
basically 1 second after the accident a tow truck flies through the intersection.. he gets out and hes all like dont worry I saw everything.. but now hes saying he doesnt want to be a witness.. but **** him if it comes to it and im being held responsible for this accident Ill sapina him to show up.
EuroSpectacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:59 PM   #38
EuroSpectacle
88iS

Send a message via MSN to EuroSpectacle
and civics arnt shit for winter..I can do all of torbram road sideways in the old civic RIP
EuroSpectacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:16 PM   #39
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to RevShoT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 323
^^^ That's rich coming from an domestic car owner... I'd rather own rice then domestic...
put it this way, ive owned a BMW before, you cant compare a bmw with my mustang, my mustang i purchased to go fast in a strait line for cheap, its by no means more luxurious, or handles better then my bimmer would i buy another bmw? hell yes if i needed a fun driver car, the mustang is all buiness and i chose the domestic V8 because its the car best suited for my needs.

why the hell would i buy a civic, there not nice looking, they dont go fast, there not that big, they dont handle like a bmw, to me if you want a civic for gas prices you mind as well buy a firefly because its pathetic
RevShoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:33 PM   #40
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

^^^ There are many reasons to buy a Civic...
Better Mileage, cheaper insurance, cheaper maintenance, etc. The list can go on. Now if you have money to burn, go ahead.

I'm by no means "Rich", but I do pretty well. Both me and my wife are professionals and make well over the average household income. Does that mean I want to waste another dime of mine on a BMW? No. No way in HELL will BMW ever get another cent out of me. I'm trading this sucker in and then I'm done...

Personally, I wouldn't buy a Civic. Not because I am a Honda hater, but because I'm too big for that car... 6'2"....

I'm looking at a Maxima now, just trying to decide whether the extra coin is justified by going to a 2004 and newer model (newer shape).
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:37 PM   #41
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevShoT
the mustang is all buiness and i chose the domestic V8 because its the car best suited for my needs.
You needs? That's funny... I don't remember anyones NEEDS ever being "let's to fast in a straight line as my needs require me to do so".

It's your wants that do that my friend, not your needs. There is a difference.

Deep
Old 10-30-2005, 01:44 PM   #42
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

Quote:
You needs? That's funny... I don't remember anyones NEEDS ever being "let's to fast in a straight line as my needs require me to do so".

It's your wants that do that my friend, not your needs. There is a difference.

Deep
my needs are to go fast, which is why i make my car go fast, im at the track on weekends tearin it up, ide like to see a civic run 11's with the amount of money i put into my stang (less then 5000 bucks, including the car) or a bmw for that matter

those items you mentioned, cheap gas, insurance ect.. they can all be found in a pontiac firefly or a toyota echo?, so why not get that instead?
Old 10-30-2005, 05:58 PM   #43
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

There are quality issues to be thought of there... The american cars are good for two things - Trucks, because they've been doing them for years and muscle cars, same reason. Apart from that, the compact lines leaves much to be desired. There are WAY more features in a fully loaded Civic SI then you'll get in an Echo or Firefly. The american luxury lines are split 50/50... Half are good and half are total crap...

Toyota would be a good option - if they increased their styling... Toyota cars have never been known for their styling, but they are number 1 when it comes to relability and cost effectiveness. There's a reason why my dad sold his 11 year old Corolla for $4000. Try that with any American compact car...

Deep
Old 10-30-2005, 05:59 PM   #44
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

BTW: If Racing was a real need of yours, why wouldn't you do it right and make a 100% track car and leave a runner for day to day stuff?

Deep
Old 10-30-2005, 06:04 PM   #45
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

Quote:
BTW: If Racing was a real need of yours, why wouldn't you do it right and make a 100% track car and leave a runner for day to day stuff?

Deep
why would i want a car that i could only enjoy once and a while, whenever i feel the need i can jump in my street legal drag car and have fun

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: