Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-13-2005, 10:38 PM   #1
95_318is
1st Gear Newbie

Suspension question for 95 318is

Hi folks,

I'm a new member here and I did do some searching to see what would be an inexpensive upgrade to the stock suspension system for my GF's 95 318is.

I've been checking out the for sale section and would like to know what most users here would recommend.

This is what I've found so far:

1. go with the M3 stuff (shocks/springs/sways)
2. go with M3 shocks / find some used eibach or HR springs
3. find decent/budget $$ friendly aftermarket shocks and used springs like eibach/h+r or m3

I really don't want to spend much money because it's a daily driver and I already have a money pit high perf car that I'm going balls out with. And I am not looking to slam the car either. I want a "slight drop" and nothing drastic as the car will see snow. I just want to make the wife's 1995 318is look nice by dressing it up a bit by getting clear corners, side markers and give it a "slight" drop and a bit better suspension setup. I already bought some 16" AKT spoke wheels that will be used as the 'summer' rollers.

Oh and I'll be needing upper suspension mounts because I'm getting the squeaking noise on the rear pass. shock.

Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions.

Danny
95_318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 10:49 PM   #2
jeffrie
Addict

If only a mild drop you want just get springs for a 98 323is with M3sport pakage.
And swap the front's only will make that gap in the front look the same as the rear. All e36 springs with the exception of the M3 are interchangeable on the 318 front struts & rear springs & shocks are all the same.
Do get Rear Strut Mounts (AKA RSM) Most will recomend Rogue Engeneering or Ground Control.
Will look nice after and not cost much.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:34 PM   #3
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
I drove my 318i in winter with Eibach Pro kit springs (Later got Koni Yellows). There was no problem but there is one or two days after a snow storm when the snow is up to the knees. But it was never a big issue.

A upgrade of 95 M3 suspension is not bad but remember you are upgrading with 10 year old parts with who knows how hard they were driven in their life.

A good pair of new shocks and springs will set you back more than $1000 or so, but if you plan to keep the car for a while it's not a bad idea. Scrounging for a good deal you might be able to get some for slightly less.

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:51 AM   #4
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

or other option would be to grab some inexpensive gas strut/shock and lowering spring.

You could try monroe sensa trak shocks and h&r combo. Very inexpensive
but very good for daily driving.

Just dont expect too much from it.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #5
95_318is
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks so much for the replies so far. It's a difficult task for me to go the economical route as I am always expecting good performance, but I know it's something I shouldn't be expecting going the budget route. I guess I'm just looking for the best bang for the lowest buck possible which I normally haven't done in the past with my own vehicles.

I'll look into the suggestions made so far.

Thanks again,

Danny

Last edited by 95_318is; 10-14-2005 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:37 PM   #6
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

there were some seriously cheap "cup kits" ( complete spring/strut combo) this summer...
any one got linkz for dude?

pelicanparts.com
Old 10-15-2005, 08:19 AM   #7
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

do it right once and do not look back, so go new and not used...cheers...
Old 10-15-2005, 09:52 AM   #8
95_318is
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul christians
do it right once and do not look back, so go new and not used...cheers...
I know what you mean, beleive me. I normaly live by this motto, but this time I have to make an exception. Just want to be clear that safety will not be compromised, the goal is for a small improvement over stock.

Thanks and keep the feedback coming guys.

Danny
Old 10-15-2005, 09:29 PM   #9
1fast325
2nd Gear Member

i would prolly go with the H&R cupkit...nothing to serious, to my knowledge its a decent drop but nothing to drastic. Nice drop but shouldnt give you a problem in the winter and its pretty cheap...ive seen them go for about $600...i dont know if thats in your price range or not.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:46 AM   #10
Dudesky_E36
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Dudesky_E36
You could try a shock/spring/strut setup by Tokico. Not the best, but I know a few people who've been satisfied with them. I think the whole setup runs under $500.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:33 PM   #11
95_318is
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudesky_E36
You could try a shock/spring/strut setup by Tokico. Not the best, but I know a few people who've been satisfied with them. I think the whole setup runs under $500.

I took alook on ebay and wow, the whole setup is very inexpensive. This could be the route I may take. So is it safe to say that the tokico combo is at least better than the stock? (i.e. ride comfort/performance etc)

Thanks,

Danny
Old 10-16-2005, 05:55 PM   #12
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

tokico's are supposed to be pretty good..depending what model you get.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:57 PM   #13
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

I went the very cheap way....I got 4 monroe's with Spax lowering springs(1.5" front and 1" rear)....so far no complaints but if something goe's I'll go another route....I don't drive her in the winter so I don't have to worry about ride height.....

Sorry I have one complaint, my rear tires were shot after 12,000km....spec sheet says -2 degree camber so it wears the crap out of the inside...plus soft compound summer tire....I'll just have to rotate every 2,000km from now on......

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:54 PM   #14
joeytomato
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to joeytomato
whats ure budget? i spent about 800CAD for bilstein sports and H&R sports.
im planning to keep my car till it dies do i figured its a good deal. i wanted to go coilovers but i think its overkill. rides very well.i just wanted a slight drop also nothing drastic. as for used parts i wounldnt bother cuz ull just have deal with it again later. also M parts have diff geometry and front end will be higher cuz of engine weight differences.
joeytomato is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: