Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-03-2005, 08:47 AM   #1
Tilly
1st Gear Newbie

What parts can be swapped?

Im picking up my new car on saturday its an 03 plate 318ci coupe (its the pre face lift model as far as i know)

What I'm wondering is what parts I can port across from other models? For example will M3 bumpers or CSL bumpers fit straight on or is it a different chassis or mounting points?

Are saloon and coupe bumpers and other parts interchangeable etc etc

If I fit 18 inch alloys will the car sit six foot off the floor or will it still be a good height and what wheel size/width is best? 8.5 inch back and 8 inch front?

Any info will be greatly appreciated! cheers guys
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 02:10 PM   #2
JazzM
6th Gear Member

The bigger the wheel the heavier it usually is, now the problem with the 318 is that the small engine doesn't produce that much power and you will be robbing it even more with big heavy wheels. I wouldn't go bigger than 17x8.5/9 rear and 17x7.5/8 in the front.

I believe all body pieces are interchangable with the M3/CSL as long as your car is a 2 door coupe.

T.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:02 PM   #3
Infamous
2nd Gear Member

the m3 bumpers and CSL bumpers WILL NOT fit your car without slight modifications. it can be done, check out a lot of cars in E46 fanatics. if you have a coupe, you cannot use bumpers, front/rear, mirrors, clear signal lights trunks or basically anything else body related from sedans (sideskirts can be done) , convertibles the body kits are the same except trunk portions.

if you want 18 inch that are super light and look amazing, get the forged BBS RC

Last edited by Infamous; 10-03-2005 at 04:32 PM.
Infamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:10 AM   #4
Tilly
1st Gear Newbie

How high will the car ride on standard suspension? Problem bein over here is insurance is a killer and im only 18 so its been a pain in the arse affording the BM in the first place but as soon as I mod it im screwed. I mean my last motor was pretty modded but I struggled insuring it big time as ya can probably guess from the pic:

but i wanna avoid doin all that sh*t again to the beemer, I wanna keep it simple and do as much to it as I can, I dunno if u have them over there but people round here drive nothing but bloody saxos, corsas and underpowered boxes on wheels, I know to you guys a 318 is underpowered but in the UK its not a bad motor, pretty middle of the range performancewise as standard and probably one of the fastest cars someone my age will own so I just wanna neaten it up a little with some stock looking sporty bumpers and other parts, little bits of AC trim and that, bits I can do without insurance going sick on me
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: