Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-15-2002, 11:57 AM   #1
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Who knows anything about CIGARS?...

I'd like to know some info on "Cohiba"cigars.... cost, quality, authenticity, storage, rarety etc....

Thanks.

P.S. no... it's not for rollin' blunts!*drunk*

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 12:49 PM   #2
Bliss
Administrator

I have no idea about those things, but i know my friends, when they brought them deom CUBA they stored theirs in the freezer or fridge...can't remember.

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 01:49 PM   #3
JeorgeBaptista
2nd Gear Member

cohibas

Cohibas are one of the most expensive cigars made with the highes quality tabaco available. They are available in the US, but are Dominican made. The real deals are from CUBA ( the land of the free!!! ).

To buy them here in Toronto, they'll run you about $100.00 EACH CIGAR!

The way to tell the fake from the real is by the actual cigar and the label. If the label band is not perfect (ie the lettering not straight) and if the dots and the label band are not square dote, then you have a fake one.

To store them, you'll need a humidor so they will not go stale and hard. If you do not have one or do not want to buy one, just put them is the fridge in a plastic bag.

HTH
JeorgeBaptista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 04:15 PM   #4
EMPOWERD

JeorgeBaptista,

Thank you, much appreciated. I did a little research on the cigars down in Cuba (didn't know what to beleive) and I purchased a box (25 of them) of Cohibas. The vedor told me that his brother worked at the factory and they give the employees 2 boxes/week. The box has a certificate of authenticity and each label on the cigars look genuine.

I walked by a cigar store this past weekend and took a strole instide to investigate. The owner showed be the best cigars he had (Cohibas) and was selling each for $78.00. He also said that he'd sell me the box for $2000.00+ tax!

I bought my box for $50.00.... if I can sell it (even for a fraction of the going price)... it just paid for my trip!

What do you think? Who'll buy it/them?

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 01-15-2002, 06:47 PM   #5
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Easy enough to sell.

As there are plenty of people around who want to buy them.

If you wanted to make money (illegally of course), you could sell them in the U.S. (assuming they're genuine) for far more than you'd sell them for here.

Cigars are generally priced based on quality, country of origin and ring size. Cubans have had the prestige of being premium cigars mostly because they were unavailable in the U.S., not necessarily because they are any better a cigar than Dominican ones.

I tend to smoke a fair number of cigars (have a humidor in my house, and a small one on my boat), but have never settled on a particular favorite.

I'd suggest that it's easy enough to sell the box for $500 CDN and up here, or probably $500-$1000 US south of the border.

Cigars, like other somewhat *exclusive* luxury items, tend to suffer a little in recessions such as the one we're going through.

I don't think it's quite like the days of old when one could sell $50 boxes of Cuban cigars for $1000 here... I don't import cigars however, so I can't say what the relative cost is. I have a tough time believing the margin on a box of cigars is 2000%.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 06:52 PM   #6
Kaisake
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Kaisake
I collect Cigars, PM me. As for Cuban cigars circulating in the U.S. 90% are fake sorry to burst anyone's bubble. They even sell fake cuban cigars in Cuba, so do not be easily fooled by the low prices. The easiest way is to check the serial number that is imprinted on the bottom of the box and to check the label. I remember when I first went out to buy cigars, I spent $50 USD for a single Cuban and it was later found out to be a fake to my dismay. I have quite a few example of authentic cuban cigars. To keep the cigars in good smoking condition, buy a humidor to store them in. As for cohiba's (not red dot cohiba) I enjoy robustos. There are rarer ones such as Fuente Fuente Opus X (which I can't find anywhere) or Padron Milleniums (indv. serial numbered) which are not Cuban. I highly recommend Ashton Cabinet #2's. Here are some links to help.

http://www.cigarnews.com/articles.htm
http://users.pandora.be/casaparticular/Cigars.htm
http://www.cubamall.com/fakes.html
http://havanacuba.com/pages/cigarsce.htm
http://www.clubhavanacigars.com/cigars/fakes.htm
http://www.cigars-of-cuba.com/advice/advice_fake.asp

Vintage JojO SIGS, Inc.

Last edited by Kaisake; 01-15-2002 at 07:30 PM.
Kaisake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 08:03 AM   #7
EMPOWERD

Thank you very much for all the info Gentlemen... I appreciate it. I had no idea there was such an exotic market for these things. Since I don't plan on buying a humidor, I think I'll put them in the freezer for the time being (is that okay?)... I just wish I can benifit from the outrageous prices here by selling them for a pretty penny... If I find a regular buyer, I might fly down more often.

P.S. What's wrong with the "red dot" Cohiba's? Are they cheaper or just different?

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 01-16-2002, 12:23 PM   #8
Hammer of Thor
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Hammer of Thor
Cool Care of Cigars

Guys,

Cigars, even modestly priced ones, should NEVER be stored in a cold environment. As air temperature drops, so does humidity. Refrigerating tobacco reduces the moisture in the leaf. Freezing tobacco dries it outright.

Tobacco does not like radical change. Cigars should be stored in a humidor. If there is a temperature swing, you should allow the cigar to re-aclimate itself, before use.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
"The Ultimate Driving Machine"

http://members.cardomain.com/bimmerhead
Hammer of Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 03:42 PM   #9
Phantom
Automation geek

Thor is right!! No freezing. I've got my Cohibas in the fridge wrapped in foil. I get them from a Cuban guy who owns a pizza store I frequent.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 05:45 PM   #10
Kaisake
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Kaisake
For temporary storage, get a zip-lock bag (sized according to how many cigars you have), then fold up and lightly wet a napkin or piece of small cloth. Place the wetted piece at one of the zip-lock bag's corners and then put cigars in. Leave about 2 inches of space between the cigars' placement and the wet element so your cigars do not soak up the water directly. This will keep your cigars for a week or two. Change the wetted element every 3-4 days so that mold does not grow (mold is bad). As for the Red Dot Cohibas, I just wanted to make a distinction between them and the original yellow labeled Cohibas. I also believe that they are a strictly non-Cuban label established in 1997. And be careful both are widely counterfeited.

Vintage JojO SIGS, Inc.
Kaisake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 01:29 PM   #11
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
I had 2 boxes of cohibas i sold for $400 a box
i picked them up for $50 down in cuba lol

i didn't even know they were so expensive

i dont smoke them
but i knew i could make some cash off them
but i didn't expect that much!

i believe they're even sold for more!

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread