Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-03-2005, 03:01 PM   #46
Striker
Turbo Ready

Read why the Garret GT series is rated top of the line and why they worth a bit more.
These are a few of the best series you can purchase bang for buck.

In the 1990's Garrett engineers developed a radically new efficient turbocharger baptizing it 'New Garrett Technology' aka the 'NGT' turbo. Over time the term was shortened to 'GT' and is now used to specifically describe the aerodynamically advanced Garrett turbochargers that cause the turbo to spool up to boost and accelerate your vehicle quicker than ever.

SPEED AND POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL,
THANK HITLER, BMW HAS ALL THREE
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 04:02 PM   #47
Striker
Turbo Ready

Garrett GT28RS being sold in the US now for US $ 1,175.00 plus shipping and taxes.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:35 PM   #48
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker
Read why the Garret GT series is rated top of the line and why they worth a bit more.
These are a few of the best series you can purchase bang for buck.

In the 1990's Garrett engineers developed a radically new efficient turbocharger baptizing it 'New Garrett Technology' aka the 'NGT' turbo. Over time the term was shortened to 'GT' and is now used to specifically describe the aerodynamically advanced Garrett turbochargers that cause the turbo to spool up to boost and accelerate your vehicle quicker than ever.
would a GT28RS or GT28BB be sufficient for a e36 325i engine?
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:29 PM   #49
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
would a GT28RS or GT28BB be sufficient for a e36 325i engine?
Justin, the GT28RS, like the GT28S is rated at 350HP, so for a nice quick spool up while still running a "safe" boost should be perfect for the e36.
Depending on how much power you are looking for you will have to throw in some bigger injectors and do some other mods as well.

Is your e36 stock?

Raph.

Old 10-04-2005, 10:44 AM   #50
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

I think the GT28 series is a little small for that motor... Seeing as the M20 is quite stout, and can easily make about 400 HP on a stock motor (with proper managment, head gasket, studs, etc..) .

I'm sure the e36 24V 2.5L is just as easy to get reliable power out of. I personally would just have cometic make a thicker HG to bring the CR down to about 9.0:1 or even 8.5:1 if you're looking for lots of power, some head studs, and you're good to go motor wise. Just take case of the fueling, cooling, and management and you'll easily see 400+ WHP, reliable enough for everyday use.

GT35R would be a nice size, and I bet you the difference in spool would be minimal and a good trade off for top end power. With the lower CR you could even go with say a GT40/42 or so... but it all depends on where you want your power band to be.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:39 AM   #51
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR
I think the GT28 series is a little small for that motor... Seeing as the M20 is quite stout, and can easily make about 400 HP on a stock motor (with proper managment, head gasket, studs, etc..) .
Thanks for your input Bud, but I am not sure where you got your information from as it's inaccurate. I only provide people with info I am sure about because of either seeing it personally or doing it myself.

The GT28S is reccommended for the 2.5L 6cy engines and was chosen from a Garret reference chart. The m20 CANNOT easily make 400HP regardless of the fuel management, studs etc. The most anyone (Bimmer Jim US) was able to squeeze out from the m20 was 298 RWHP and that was with lots of mods.

There was an m20 built in Sweden with huge mods, forged crank, forged low compression pistons, stand alone fuel management, huge intake and exhaust porting, bigger injectors, additional boost injectors, etc, etc, etc and were putting out close to 350HP so not easily done at all as you claim. This also would have cost thousands and thousands of dollars.

Quote:
I'm sure the e36 24V 2.5L is just as easy to get reliable power out of. I personally would just have cometic make a thicker HG to bring the CR down to about 9.0:1 or even 8.5:1 if you're looking for lots of power, some head studs, and you're good to go motor wise. Just take case of the fueling, cooling, and management and you'll easily see 400+ WHP, reliable enough for everyday use.

GT35R would be a nice size, and I bet you the difference in spool would be minimal and a good trade off for top end power. With the lower CR you could even go with say a GT40/42 or so... but it all depends on where you want your power band to be.
Whatt??? You said you are sure about this, how sure, have you done it? Using a thicker head gasket on a 3.5L engine to reduce the compression ratio from 10.1:1 to 8.5.:1 will require a thickness of about 5mm to 6mm, where are you going to get this????? And secondly this will blow even if it was custom made. To reduce the CR this low you will have to have a stainless steel STACKER custom made with the required thickness.

The Garrett GT3071R is rated at 450HP so why would anyone put a GT35R rated at 600HP, GT40 rated at 700HP or even worse a GT42 rated at 850HP to get 400HP

You are advising people here to spend US 1000.00 MORE on a turbo that will take them half hour to get going, cant even spool it up and still won't get 400 HP

Please don't misinform people, please write what you know about. I like when people contribute their facts not misinformation.

Last edited by Striker; 10-04-2005 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:50 AM   #52
Striker
Turbo Ready

For Christ's sake guys, please don't go posting sh!t all over unless it makes sense. I am sorry but this just triggers me. I am usually a cool guy, but I just hate it when guys just post stuff with no meaning behind it what so ever.

We are all here to learn, but when I see statements like "I am sure" and such like and it's not, I change colors Anyone can ask silly questions but "silly facts" is another story.

Just to enlighten you guys about turbo sizing and ratings follow this link to the Garret GT series

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/turboin...p/gtlineup.htm

Last edited by Striker; 10-04-2005 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:06 PM   #53
Striker
Turbo Ready

I see some people's jaw drop when they saw some asking prices for turbos, the same link below will justify this.

You can see the prices there for turbos and those are relatively great in US $

Turbocharging is not cheap as people think, I have spent over $ 6,000 CDN on turbo charging my m20. You can go cheaper, but pay for what you get. You can also completely destroy your engine buy purchasing a used turbo or the famous Chinese knock off brand from ebay. We have seen very close copies of Garrets made in China, just waiting to chip away compressor wheels and stuff it straight into your engine through the intake.

Old 10-04-2005, 01:15 PM   #54
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Hey Raf, I sent you an email.. sorry, lost your phone number..
Old 10-04-2005, 01:23 PM   #55
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast
Hey Raf, I sent you an email.. sorry, lost your phone number..

Hey Dude,

Got your email, will call you.

Last edited by Striker; 10-04-2005 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:58 AM   #56
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
The GT28S is reccommended for the 2.5L 6cy engines and was chosen from a Garret reference chart. The m20 CANNOT easily make 400HP regardless of the fuel management, studs etc. The most anyone (Bimmer Jim US) was able to squeeze out from the m20 was 298 RWHP and that was with lots of mods.
Ok listen... just because you don't believe it doesn't mean it can't be done...

Magnus' E30 turbo made well over 300 WHP on a STOCK M20... so I don't know what you're talking about. And the car does bottom 12's on the track.

Quote:
There was an m20 built in Sweden with huge mods, forged crank, forged low compression pistons, stand alone fuel management, huge intake and exhaust porting, bigger injectors, additional boost injectors, etc, etc, etc and were putting out close to 350HP so not easily done at all as you claim. This also would have cost thousands and thousands of dollars.
Then there was something wrong with that setup, or they weren't pushing it... a fully built M20 will be able to make more then 350 HP. Trust me.

Quote:
Whatt??? You said you are sure about this, how sure, have you done it? Using a thicker head gasket on a 3.5L engine to reduce the compression ratio from 10.1:1 to 8.5.:1 will require a thickness of about 5mm to 6mm, where are you going to get this????? And secondly this will blow even if it was custom made. To reduce the CR this low you will have to have a stainless steel STACKER custom made with the required thickness.
Headgasket/deckplate, same shit (with in reason, as people usually refer to deckplates as headgaskets)... It CAN be done... and HAS been done (and that many, many times).

FACT: MINT GTI's VR6 is a stock motor with just a thicker head gasket (read: deckplate) to lower the CR (to 8.5:1)... he's making in the area of 450 WHP on Sunoco 94.

The same principle applies to other motors (read: BMW's)...

Quote:
The Garrett GT3071R is rated at 450HP so why would anyone put a GT35R rated at 600HP, GT40 rated at 700HP or even worse a GT42 rated at 850HP to get 400HP

Listen... If you want more topend you need a bigger turbo... so stop playing the turbo god here... You need to remeber that we're not talking about a small engine here, and engine size DOES matter, as a GT30 even tho "rated" @ 450 HP will run out of steam in the top end on a bigger motor. ALSO, you were suggesting a GT28 which IS too small IMO for a 2.5L six.

FACT: that stock VR6 I mentioned above? 8.5:1 CR IS running a GT40/42, and it spools around 3800-4000 RPM. and again he's only making 450 WHP with it (as his tune is only for 94 octane). BUT he is still making power even @ 8000 rpm, and actually he was telling me that after 7k RPM he can feel a huge increase in power from 7k onwards.

Quote:
You are advising people here to spend US 1000.00 MORE on a turbo that will take them half hour to get going, cant even spool it up and still won't get 400 HP
I'm not ADVISING anything... I'm giving people a different view from real world engines running on these setups. Actually you are the one ADVISING here, and I just happen to disagree with you.

Quote:
Please don't misinform people, please write what you know about. I like when people contribute their facts not misinformation.
So just because I'm stating my oppinions here, and real life knowledge and you don't believe it to be true/or correct... I'm now wrong? lmao.. I hope no one ever goes to you for a turbo kit.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:03 AM   #57
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
For Christ's sake guys, please don't go posting sh!t all over unless it makes sense. I am sorry but this just triggers me. I am usually a cool guy, but I just hate it when guys just post stuff with no meaning behind it what so ever.

We are all here to learn, but when I see statements like "I am sure" and such like and it's not, I change colors Anyone can ask silly questions but "silly facts" is another story.

Just to enlighten you guys about turbo sizing and ratings follow this link to the Garret GT series

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/turboin...p/gtlineup.htm
I think you're misunderstanding that site's claims...

Just beacuse it says the turbo is good for say 350 HP.. doesn't really mean it is... as the compressor maps you have.. but what about the VE for the engine your putting it on?

Plus.. what's the point of running a turbo at it's max? 350 HP is nothing these days for a turbo engine... so I'd rather have some head room and have something bigger and don't have to run it right off the end of the map.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:59 AM   #58
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
I think you're misunderstanding that site's claims...

Just beacuse it says the turbo is good for say 350 HP.. doesn't really mean it is...

That is not that site claim, that is GARRET SPECS. So Garret is fooling the general public that the 350 HP rating is less, right?
Garret is a big con artist now, and all the other cars with HP ratings are not really what they say they are, correct?

[quote=NOTORIOUS VR]
Plus.. what's the point of running a turbo at it's max? 350 HP is nothing these days for a turbo engine... so I'd rather have some head room and have something bigger and don't have to run it right off the end of the map.QUOTE]

350 is nothing these days for a turbo charge engines, wow, I guess all the VR's especially the notorious ones are putting out way more than 350 HP hmmm. The m20 can barely put out 300HP so what happens to the other 50HP.

Running off the map????
You be careful, you may be running off the map with these comments

So you are talking VE now, do you know how it relates to the whole engine/turbo configuration?

Guy, I don't know why I am even responding to your posts, so I will stop now, sit back and be entertained.

Some advice, I know you have the internet, so look up Volumetric Efficiency on this link, it will not only teach you something but keep you out of trouble, at least for a while.

And two, when you are ready to turbo charge your VW VR, please seek professional help OK. Take care Guy.

This link explains VE and how relates to the performance of your car.

PS All the data on that VE below link is not what they claim, it's real math OK.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...n_9.012000.htm

Last edited by Striker; 10-05-2005 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:08 AM   #59
Striker
Turbo Ready

Where is Jordon when you need him

This guy is lucky Jordon is not around. I can now see why Jordon was so evil to some guys

Old 10-05-2005, 11:18 AM   #60
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartge H26
striker, (or anyone else)

do you have a turbo that will bolt on to the td manifold that will work for my car. I want to start getting the parts so i can start the car.
Sent ya a PM H26

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: