Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Classifieds > For Sale > Other BMW Parts
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-12-2002, 12:31 PM   #16
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by mkgino
I heard you get about 40-50 hp, read it a long time ago on dtmpower
Haha That's a bunch of bullshit!

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 12:35 PM   #17
Lil'Smoothie

must be wrong cuz That would give you more horse than an M3 motor no?

192+50=242
Old 10-12-2002, 12:40 PM   #18
EMPOWERD

There's more differences between the US M3 and the 328i than just the cam profile.... larger displacement motor for starters with slightly higher compression pistons... better breathing exhaust, remapped ECU and larger T-body to name a few things... these all make up for the 47hp deficit.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 10-12-2002, 03:08 PM   #19
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Oh my mistake I must have misread it somewhere, your probably right, but If id did do a cam swap would it be worth it after all the $$$$ spent, with the gains?? What about reliability after??
Old 10-12-2002, 03:19 PM   #20
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by empowerd

NO, NO, NO!!!

Thank God you're not a mechanic. The engine and everything are fine where they are. The cams can be swapped in a matter of 2 hours by sliding them out though the front of your head. The problem is... the stock M50 valve springs are not designed to push the higher lift (and higher revving) M3 cams.... very important to change them aswell ($19.00 each x24=$460.00 plus tax) and head removal is recommended for that (not entire engine Jon). Think about it carefully before purchasing the cams alone.

damm..good thing MKgino didnt follow my post...haha, i was thinkin that would it be easier to remove the head while the engine is out? that was my train of thought...i had the picture of a honda DOHC engine when thinkin too..hehe.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 06:37 PM   #21
EMPOWERD

Quote:
Oh my mistake I must have misread it somewhere, your probably right, but If id did do a cam swap would it be worth it after all the $$$$ spent, with the gains?? What about reliability after??
You probably didn't misread that, it's just that a lot of B/S is spread around on various sites from people that really don't know what they're talking about. They figure the only difference between the cars are the cams and therefore a cam upgrade should account for the 47hp BMW crank rating. You'd probably get an honest 15hp gain (mostly at top end too).... not the cheapest upgrade for $1500.00 but the logical one in sequence if you've already got all the other bolt-ons done. Reliability? Well, that's probably the best part of this upgrade (as long as the springs are also swapped).

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 10-13-2002, 11:41 AM   #22
Fast_Gal
3rd Gear Member

BTW.... you have pm
Fast_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 12:38 PM   #23
mkgino
6th Gear Member

See I would love to do this swap, since my cousin is a mechanic I could do it for free, but what if something goes wrong and my car doesnt run right after??
Old 10-15-2002, 02:25 AM   #24
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Quote:
See I would love to do this swap, since my cousin is a mechanic I could do it for free, but what if something goes wrong and my car doesnt run right after??
anyone?? What is the potential for problems after something like this?? Then wouldnt I need software for them to run properly too??
Old 10-16-2002, 09:27 AM   #25
Scottycs
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Scottycs
Why talk about shit you DON'T know. Heres some sheets to ponder. Wheel hp is 213 (PowCorr) hmm, that would mean 255hp at the crank. Thats more then quite a few M3s I have dynoed. Now I have a 3.0 with LOTS more power.

also the springs DO NOT need to be swapped. I have been there done that, no more speculation.

Quote:
Originally posted by empowerd

You probably didn't misread that, it's just that a lot of B/S is spread around on various sites from people that really don't know what they're talking about. They figure the only difference between the cars are the cams and therefore a cam upgrade should account for the 47hp BMW crank rating. You'd probably get an honest 15hp gain (mostly at top end too).... not the cheapest upgrade for $1500.00 but the logical one in sequence if you've already got all the other bolt-ons done. Reliability? Well, that's probably the best part of this upgrade (as long as the springs are also swapped).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chrisdyno.jpg (102.2 KB, 93 views)
FS: 6.4 Inch LCD
FS: BMW E36 M3 Sideskirts
Donate to DTM Power - Don't be a woman, Pay for what you use!!

Scottycs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 12:59 PM   #26
EMPOWERD

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottycs
Why talk about shit you DON'T know. Heres some sheets to ponder. Wheel hp is 213 (PowCorr) hmm, that would mean 255hp at the crank. Thats more then quite a few M3s I have dynoed. Now I have a 3.0 with LOTS more power.

also the springs DO NOT need to be swapped. I have been there done that, no more speculation.
First of all... list what's done to the motor.... I bet it's not only M3 cams right? Second, my point is that people expecting to get 40hp just from the cam swap can forget it, i've also seen it done with my own eyes on a dyno... not some computer screen you've posted from a car with unknown mods. My friend has a '93 325is with a chip, filter, headers and exhaust and is putting down 197rwHP with stock cams....you've "got" 213 with M3 cams... that's 16hp more NOT 40! Also, anyone that knows anything about motors will tell you that it's always a good idea to swap stiffer valve springs if you go to a higher lift cam, ever hear of valve float? You can always go the cheap (half-fast) route and leave the stock one in.... it's your waste of time and $$$.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 10-16-2002, 01:03 PM   #27
Scottycs
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, thats just way beyond believable. 40 WHP over stock from chip, intake, exhaust

Quote:
. My friend has a '93 325is with a chip, filter, headers and exhaust and is putting down 197rwHP with stock cams
Second that was cams, intake, chip. Also I have a dyno, its not just a computer screen. Want pics of it on the dyno???

Also, the springs are not need, they are not that high of a lift.

Old 10-16-2002, 02:41 PM   #28
mkgino
6th Gear Member

ohhhhh no, this is gonna get nasty.............
Old 10-16-2002, 02:44 PM   #29
Scottycs
2nd Gear Member

Didn't intend it to be. But what he is sayin is false. I dyno cars all day, i know what mods do what. Also I had to shed truth about the cams.

Old 10-16-2002, 02:57 PM   #30
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottycs
Didn't intend it to be. But what he is sayin is false. I dyno cars all day, i know what mods do what. Also I had to shed truth about the cams.
With all due respect (and Im not taking sides here), look at it from my perspective, from someone who doesnt know anything about how an engine works. If everyone could make their 328is as fast as an M3 by just changing the cams, then everyone would do it right?? Mind you a lot of people do it but then why would BMW have even made the 3.2L motor when they could get the same power from a 2.8 with better cams? 40 hp from cams is tough to believe.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: