Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-20-2005, 02:26 AM   #1
erikIS
bigcock

01 ITR vs 97 M3

I was at my friend's house and his cousin with a stock silver 97 M3 was over for dinner.

I'v always loved M3s, they were my dream car back in the day so we shot the shit. He didn't know too much about the ITR, said it looked nice but didn't think much of my "ricerburner" = ) i asked if he drag races or goes to the tracks, he tells me hes been only once.. but time to time races on the streets.. so i asked him for a run for fun..

We went to a rural part of town and lined em up, i told him first to 150 shut down.. dont want anything to crazy...

I held my Revs @ 6000RPMS and feathered my clutch... i actually hooked up alot better then him (i practice alot, new tires ) and had a 1 car lead...*woohoo.. 131ft/torque huh? ) .

So we are off, with me pulln with a 1 car lead.. i notice him shift while i'm still going to my 8500rpm redline.. slam her in 2nd chirp my tires (my 2nd gear goes to 110km/h) and its the same scenario...3rd gear.. im still ahead... didnt notice by how much.

The guy couldn't belive it, and kept askn me how the hell a N/A 4 banger can oull something like that off .. we lined her up again and he had a better launch... we were side by side , and i'd get a little dip again maybe HALF a car when he'd shift and i'd still be pulli in gear *8500rpms redline..* plus i think i bang my gears faster hehe..

anyway, fun race... i know the M3 would take me topend for sure though... or highway rolls.

Just for reference, i only have an AEM intake/minimal weight reduction and iv run a 14.2 @ 96-7 MPH @ cayuga ...w/2.160ft.

Stock ITRs run anywhere from 14.4-14.8, vary on driver.

Cheers.

Last edited by erikIS; 07-20-2005 at 02:29 AM.
erikIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:38 AM   #2
rico328i
5th Gear Member

run

Nice run Erik. You post some decent numbers with your ITR. Nice 1/4 time. I often tell people not to underestimate the low trq on the Hondas. For some reason, they still get decent performance out of the '4-bangers'! And I love it.

Stock for stock. all things equal. I think an E36 M3 would still take the ITR - although not by much. Those 1/4 times you have for ITR's are right in line with M3's though.....

Personally I've taken 2 ITR's w/my 328 on the street. But anything can happen on the street, we all know that.

Was the BMW driver fairly seasoned??? Now if you had the IS out..........

Good run.
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:25 AM   #3
erikIS
bigcock

Thanks Rico.

Aslong as the ITR is launched in the powerband (VTEC) it can pull out of the hole really quickly considering the lack of torque, by controlling the throttle and clutch you won't get much wheel spin either! Thank god for an LSD ! = ) ( 2.1 60' ft times!!! )

As for a 328(193hp) ITR(195hp), you must be modded? If you compare the power/weight ratio of the ITR an 328 the ITR takes the cake weighing in at a 2600lbs vs 3000lbs. same thing you could consider with the 40HP advantage the m3, but if you consider the power to weight ratio its ALMOST similiar. the ITR properly driven should not loose to the 328/325 = ).

I'm planning to get TODA cams, apexi N1 exhaust, hondata s200, comptech headers ... but i'll wait till next season. I'm aiming for over 200+whp with those mods with good tuning... and shed a few pounds.

If the lexus was out that M3 wouldn't know what happened to him :p

PS- If there are any E36 M3s that want to have a friendly run with my arghhhh. Give me a shout! I'd like to do another comparison and document/video for all of Maxbimmer to see. Finding M3's on the street is just as hard as finding an ITR practically!

Last edited by erikIS; 07-20-2005 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:25 AM   #4
skillton
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to skillton
Good kill.
ITR's aren't that hard to find... I've seen 5-10 times more ITRs than e36 m3s
Old 07-22-2005, 07:45 AM   #5
WhadUpp
BIG BIG WHEELS

Its still hard to find R's, I don't see many and I drive quite alot but it would be nice to see a documented 1/4 run vs an E36 m3. Its surprising how quick those R's are but the torque of the M3 will eventually dominate. 14.2 for an R is amazing. Correct me if Im wrong but Im thinking 0-60 would be 6 sec flat. Thats very quick for a N/A 4 banger.

Great run!
WhadUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:20 PM   #6
grossi
3rd Gear Member

Nice run bro. My buddy had a Type R as well. We did some runs against each other, and each time my car was ahead by maybe a foot or two (I have an '01 330Ci). I don't think he was the greatest driver though....

What kind of mods do you have done to your IS? A good friend of mine just got an IS this winter - he's been having some transmission, clutch and flywheel problems....

- Adam
Old 07-24-2005, 04:47 PM   #7
fukenricen
5th Gear Member

Thats pretty weird an itr winning to an m3 well maybe a e36 i can believe but not the e46 thoes bmw's have some serious beef and should wipe an itr on the street and highway no problem.Maybe groosi is right ,needs a better driver behind the bmw.
And as for seeing itr's around town its getting rare unless its a ls or gsr integra made into an itr because all the parts from itr;s around town are on at least someones civic on every block.

wooooooo woooooooooo
AntiRice
11.0@130mph
fukenricen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 09:23 PM   #8
erikIS
bigcock

Grossi: Toyo STG 2 Turbo.. and yes the stock clutch on teh IS suck. They usually wear out in 40-50kms.. its a known problem in the 02+ models

fukenricen:if you'd read the title of the topic it says 97 M3, making that an E36 not an e46. Although i know someone with a JRSC ITR making over 250whp that would give a E46 M3 a run for his money. hehe

and yes, too many civics/integras with ITR parts running around.. which is questionable, since the ITR is the most stolen car in the Honda scene... how can anyone possibly steal and put the parts from such a nice beautiful machine into those *$%(*$%...

Rico, you pm'd me.. what mods do you have done to your 328??? i won't mind running you if yuo have mods
Old 07-25-2005, 12:10 AM   #9
rico328i
5th Gear Member

mods??

Erik,

Mods? Does 94 oct count? No 'power' mods IMO. Just software and intake.

Fair enough. Your ITR has a better power-to-weight advantage over my 328. But I think if we both get an even launch - it'll still be close - I HOPE?!! Just not liking your damn redline!!!!!

BTW - 328's weigh in at about 3120lbs. Yeah...noticebaly heavier than your ITR on a diet!

All in fun.....
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 12:29 AM   #10
erikIS
bigcock

Sounds good Rico, are there any Maxbimmer meets comming up lately? I'm all the way in waterdown/burlington area.. kinda way out hehe.. but u can call my cell @ 905-317-5657 if u are in the area.

I weighed my car in @ 2540lbs at a local quarry with no rear seats/jack .. minor stuff. I guess if we take the ol'saying that 100lbs is .1th of a second its definetly in my favour hehe.

Redline is fun =) How is your gearing BTW? whats your max speed in 1st, 2nd? etc.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:11 AM   #11
328power
GAS GUZZLER !!

Good Run.... Those ITR can be quite fast with not much $$ thrown into it ..( also nice and light )

But i havent had much trouble against them... my 4.6 0-100km ussually takes care of that......
Old 07-27-2005, 09:55 AM   #12
02miata
2nd Gear Member

You say 200HP+ I highly doubt it based on your trap speed of 96MPH.

Brp M62 S/C A/W ic 7PSI
KVR Python 4 Piston Calipers + s/s lines
ACT HD clutch
Bilstein c/w H&R race
Sports Pkg 6 SPD c/w torsen LSD
CSC 4 PT S/D roll bar

Rota c8 15x7 wrapped in Azenis
OZ Supperleggera 15x7 wrapped in TOYO RA1
02miata is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: