Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-08-2005, 10:49 AM   #46
E30 Girl
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to E30 Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by koncise
any nice places on yonge near dundas (or within a few blocks) that anyone wants to recommend? not an expensive place, just somewhere with good food
A really good place to go is Spring Rolls it at Yonge and Bloor really good food (thai food) and not to expensive.
E30 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:18 AM   #47
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Girl
A really good place to go is Spring Rolls it at Yonge and Bloor really good food (thai food) and not to expensive.

Best place for Thai is Salad king right across from ryerson.

I kid you not, if you try Salad King, u will think Spring Rolls second rate.

another good place is buai Thai @ Davenport & Avenue rd.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:24 AM   #48
koncise
all you need is one mike

Send a message via MSN to koncise
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD
It's not overkill. Why would you spend $150 to eat a steak in a restaurant, I can get a fantastic steak and cook it up on my BBQ for a fraction of that, with better wine than you will get with that $150 dinner in a restaurant.

When I eat in a restaurant, I'm willing to pay for food that is just too complicated to prepare at home. A steak is something so simple, I won't pay for that, as that is what I would call "having money to blow", not spending more for something I can't easily make at home.
So, spending $150 on a steak is overkill as you can cook it up at home for much less. I'm getting better value for my money by eating at a restaurant such as Splendido.

MarkD
Ok, but:

1. I dont cook
2. There's nothing better than a kick-ass steak.

Plus I dont eat ANY seafood, so that eliminates lots of those fancy, expensive dishes. And maybe no one in my family can bbq properly then, cause i've never had a steak at home thats as good as one in a top notch steakhouse.

I'm just a steak and potatoes kinda guy... and if I cant pronounce a food, I probably wont be eating it
Old 07-08-2005, 11:27 AM   #49
Gamite

From the looks of it, we're going to Susur.. and we'll be going to north 44 for summerlicious.

Thanks guys!

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:36 AM   #50
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by koncise
Ok, but:

1. I dont cook
2. There's nothing better than a kick-ass steak.

Plus I dont eat ANY seafood, so that eliminates lots of those fancy, expensive dishes. And maybe no one in my family can bbq properly then, cause i've never had a steak at home thats as good as one in a top notch steakhouse.

I'm just a steak and potatoes kinda guy... and if I cant pronounce a food, I probably wont be eating it

Well learn to BBQ and you can eat kick-ass steak at home anytime!
(it's not that hard at all)

I think I'll get a few for tonight!

MarkD
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:53 AM   #51
vanweb
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
Does $300 food taste better then $50 food?
Does an M5 drive better then an M3?...

At most places you do get what you pay for. I had a steak at Thuet (www.thuet.ca) paid over $40 for it. When it arrived they did not give me a steak knife.. I thought that was odd so I grabbed the table knife so that I could taste the meat. It was so tender that I did not even need a steak knife it was literally like cutting butter.

The chef came out later and I asked him how he does it, did he marinate it? He said he orders from a small butcher up north and gets huge peices of meat that are aged. He then cuts each steak himself ending up throwing away about a third of the meat.. He then lets the steaks "rest" and cooks them at a perfect tempurature.. No marinade, just salt and pepper and butter in the pan..

There is no way you can get steak like that at home on a bbq...
vanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:33 PM   #52
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanweb
Does an M5 drive better then an M3?...
Completely different arguement Plus you're comparing high end to high end. And you're paying for the materials, technology, engineering, and labour.

At a restaurant, the food itself is the smallest percentage of the end cost. Everything else is overhead, labour and a sometimes a hidden exclusivity charge.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."

Last edited by thinair; 07-08-2005 at 12:42 PM.
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:23 PM   #53
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
I was watching that show on Toronto1 where they blindfolded 3 people and gave them to try a $5 burger and a $35 gourmet type burger. The chef for the $35 burger was explaining how they prepare it, how they cut the meat and add different seasoning to it and then add some more stuff on the top.... yeah I don't really remember what it was.

But the bottom line is the 3 people could not tell the difference between the burgers.

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #54
BimmerBlonde
2nd Gear Member

^^^we don't have to keep anything in mind when replying (as long as it doesn't offend anyone) - it's called freedom of speech

If anything, YOU are the one who should watch how you quote and reply to other peoples' replies - if you don't have anything nice to say - then don't say it at all, there are enough negative repliers on this forum already
BimmerBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:11 PM   #55
vanweb
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
Completely different arguement Plus you're comparing high end to high end. And you're paying for the materials, technology, engineering, and labour.

At a restaurant, the food itself is the smallest percentage of the end cost. Everything else is overhead, labour and a sometimes a hidden exclusivity charge.
Both are the same...

materials = Ingredients
technology = Equipment - Special ovens etc...
engineering = Highly Skilled Chef
labour = guys to scrape crumbs off you table
The "BMW image" markup = hidden exclusivity charge

I bet in making a top of the line BMW the physical material is also the smallest percentage of the end cost. It should not cost much more in raw materials to make a 7 series then to make a ford pickup truck. But the engineering of that material into parts that make a whole vehicle along other things you mentioned (including a hidden exclusivity charge :-))

I saw the buger test that was also mentioned. What they did was give three people PLAIN burgers no condiments at all and they were asked to rank them. While the $35 burger when purchased at the restaurant would include expensive cheeses, and other condiments (including I think they said foie gras) so basically they were judging grilled meat that had been sitting around for a few hours.. not a great test of which makes a better burger..

But this is all just my humble opinion...
vanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:24 PM   #56
e36chick
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to e36chick
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBlonde
^^^we don't have to keep anything in mind when replying (as long as it doesn't offend anyone) - it's called freedom of speech

If anything, YOU are the one who should watch how you quote and reply to other peoples' replies - if you don't have anything nice to say - then don't say it at all, there are enough negative repliers on this forum already
lol hey thanks for that, i didnt even bother replying b/c as you said, it IS a public forum and all comments should be welcomed. some people have no concept of conversing in society and treat these little threads like high school science class or something..."just-answer-the-question,no-digressing" attitude. who cares?? it's a conversation, live with it.
e36chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:20 PM   #57
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
where did you end up going?
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:57 PM   #58
flyinggonzo
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD
I don't think it's crazy at all. I'm glad to see that there are others here who appreciate really good food in a restaurant also. Just because you like getting Lick'd on a date doesn't mean we have to like it also.

Splendido has a special menu on till July 16, I'll be going in a few days...

http://www.splendido.ca/toronto_by_table.html

MarkD
Wow, that looks wonderful. I wonder if there's still seats available for Fri / Sat (doubt it)... FYI, I read an online review and the menu has changed substantially versus what's on the website. To me it sounds even better though.

(sold) 2004 Z4 3.0 - Toledo Blue/Black - CDV Mod, Streamline Engineering CAI, Dinan Exhaust, Alutec Struc Bars, etc...
(sold) 2002 GTI 1.8T - Black/Black - REVO, TT DP, Milltek Catback, Koni/Eibach, Autotech RSB, Carbonio CAI, etc...
flyinggonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:59 PM   #59
rhythm
3rd Gear Member

Just out of curiosity, what kind of dress code are at these places?

If anyones ever been to Bahama's, there is a place called club landor, next to the Atlantis. Its a high class yacht club. Anyways, once the guy came around with the butter tray to give my girlfriend and I butter, I paid my bill and shaded out of there fast! Not my kind of atmosphere. I don't mind paying a lot for food and service. But i'd like to drink beer, not wine. And listen to a live band, not a piano.

Plus, once you go out for dinner that costs $300, how do you top that?
rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:27 AM   #60
WhadUpp
BIG BIG WHEELS

Downtown Toronto-Golden Thai is another good place 100 bucks, now thats even cheaper for two people and still pretty good. Also Mediterraneo in the Yonge/Eglinton area just north of Davisville. mmmm the swordfish so good
WhadUpp is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: