Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-14-2005, 01:47 AM   #1
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
Cops took this guy's plates and made him tow his car! WTF?

So I was over at MBWorld looking for help with my C Class audio (see my thread in Audio sectin if you wanna help me out )

Here is his ride:

Quote:
Well It finally happened, got pulled over and the cops said my car was to low and took off my vanity plates. I tried to Re-Order the plates and the Ministry will not re-issue the plates saying that it's confusing for the cops....no way...lol..
Some guy asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!!!NJ Drive
how can they jus take your plates???.... what if you were far away from home, your supposed to drive home without plates on your car???...
and he said:

Quote:
had to tow it home, if i was far away i would have to tow it to the closest shop so i can safety it and emission test it to get new plates...

Now it's fine that they wanna take away his plates and not issue these ones again as they confusing, but how the hell do they have the right to take them ON THE SPOT and make him tow his car??? That is SUCH bullshit!

They should just send him a note in the mail and ask him to pick new ones or something, and then AFTER the new ones arrive if he gets caught driving with these this should happen.

BUt the MTO issued these plates to him how car they just do that and cause him so much incovenience? I hope they at least payed for the tow, otherwise this guy should sue, he did not do anything wrong and they wasted so much of his time (and money if he had to pay for the tow). We all know that tow trucks suck and maybe his car got damaged as well.

Discuss?
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:57 AM   #2
M3speed
6th Gear Member

i know this car, i see it around all the time

if the car is too low, it's considered unsafe to be on the road and the popo can seize the plates, thats probably what happened, it's BS but that's what they can do
M3speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:01 AM   #3
Furious
BMW again.

car looks lowered, but im really not sure they have the right to take plates just because.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:09 AM   #4
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
I see, I thought car too low was just a fixit ticket like loud exhaust or tint. ANd I thought the only reason they took the plates was because they're confusing. So I kind of feel stupid now. But let's pretend this never happened and go on with the "Should one's car be towed if it's too low" discussion we got going.

I say no it shouldn't, cause it's not THAT big of a deal. I mean, we have all these people putting 24s on their cars which clearly decrease perfromance and make it harder to stop on stock brakes, etc etc so why let those drive and own people with low cars? Then again if it's some ricer with cut springs on a Civic scraping the ground then THAT's unsafe, but if the car was lowered using normal legit modifications and the only flaw is that it's too low to the ground then it should jsut be a notice type thing to fix it and prove that you fixed it and otherwise pay a fine, or something.

The sad thing is that all the poeple making the laws probably know NOTHING about cars, and would never pass a law like the one I suggested above (which actually makes very much sense). They just categorize and **** everyone over, like always. And then make us pay the high ass taxes to **** us over more. ANd then take away our health care, yet still keep the taxes high as ****. And we do nothing about it. It makes me sad, really.

Last edited by BlitzSix; 06-14-2005 at 02:11 AM.
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:12 AM   #5
coolhand
Banned

I wanted to et plates that say "0O0OOO0"
coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:16 AM   #6
Gamite

Peel Regional?

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:01 AM   #7
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

nice plates, defenetly hard to memorize lol
Old 06-14-2005, 08:29 AM   #8
jeffrie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
car looks lowered, but im really not sure they have the right to take plates just because.
They can. It's legal under the statement that their to police their roads.
It's supposed to be a privlidge to drive on them, rules were decided by the majority of tax payers that had it built and appointed officials that make & enforce all the rules. Blows IMO, been shafted many times in the past and lost in court becuase of this.
Still pretty ignorant of the cop to just do that, thinking something ealse was part of this to piss him off to enforce it so strictly.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:54 AM   #9
Gianpaolo_E46
6th Gear Member

i see that car all the time at tims on calendonia, he probably lives around me
Gianpaolo_E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:00 AM   #10
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.

Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
welcome to Ontario, it is wise to read up Hwy Traffic Act, which shows how vague the act is.

http://192.75.156.68/DBLaws/Statutes...sh/90h08_e.htm
Old 06-14-2005, 12:52 PM   #11
SkycityBMW
6th Gear Member

take his plates is kinda dumb . . . like there are that many cars running around with plates close to that they need to remember plate numbers . . . idiots
Old 06-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #12
Ryousuke
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ryousuke Send a message via AIM to Ryousuke
Well having a too low of a car isn't exactly safe either what if he rear ends an SUV never mind the truck what will happen then?
Ryousuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:11 PM   #13
Veemax
aka Boško Buha

COPS are mad at the guy for out smarting them... with the Plates... I'm sure this guy speeds a lot otherwise he would not have cop evading plates on them...
They can pull you over for anything and they found a good excuse to pul lhim over being too low (if your tire pops ant the car gets burried into the ground at 120 kmh you wil most definetly spin out of control and kill somebody or hurt yourself) and take his plates because I'm certain that they had calls for a silver benz tearing it up with some weird ass plates that nobody coul remember...

Cops are pricks and if they really want to be they can do almost anything they want...
So be nice ehen you get pulled over and dont argue do what they say and see them in court later... FIGHT THE POWER!

Vee
Veemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:13 PM   #14
Ital_325i
Lost in a world of Chaos

If the ministry issued those plates, obviously there was no problem. What gives the cop the right to take them away. Cops have nothing better to do than be pests. They abuse their power, and think their God's gift to the World.

Also with the "Too-Low" Law. I thought it was that the bumpers have to be lower than the edge of the rim in order to be considered illegal. I thought this was the rule because in case of a flat, the car wouldn't be able to be moved.

Can anyone clarify this?
Ital_325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:04 PM   #15
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.

Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ital_325i
If the ministry issued those plates, obviously there was no problem. What gives the cop the right to take them away. Cops have nothing better to do than be pests. They abuse their power, and think their God's gift to the World.

Also with the "Too-Low" Law. I thought it was that the bumpers have to be lower than the edge of the rim in order to be considered illegal. I thought this was the rule because in case of a flat, the car wouldn't be able to be moved.

Can anyone clarify this?
I'm no expert, but I've spent sometime reading, basically there are 2 rules of too low, one is your headlight, it cannot be lower than certain to the ground, I cannot recall what it is, the second, this is where magic of Ontario legistration comes in, everything was made so vague in the hwy traffic act, it is up to the officer's judgement by inspecting the amount of space between the tire and the fender, if an officer believe it changes the safety of a car, he has the right to give you a ticket and even ask you to not to drive it on public roads.

It is a funny thing, I don't know if you've seen it or not, there's a vid of a Civic slammed on coils and try to change lane, he spun out and hit a light pole, in someway what they are doing IS protecting the masses, but at the same time, say your H&R kit is TUV approved and the specification says between 1-1.7", that usually means within that range the car's safety won't be harmed. If the officer writes you a ticket on that part, you can kindly inform him such specification, if he rudely replies to u "**** u kiddo, it means jack shit here", ask for his badge number and division, and file a complaint.

Are cops jerks? yes and no, to you and I , they seem to be on our balls busting our hobbies, but they are trying to protect (and ocasionally show off) the masses, everyone can lower their car, but how many has done it properly?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: