Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-31-2005, 02:45 PM   #1
Karim@Corner73
5th Gear Member

My first ticket in Ontario, need info.

Hi guys,

I recently got my first speeding ticket in Ontario.

I was caught apparently doing 70 in a 50 km/h zone on Bloor.
Total fine is only 100$.

My question is, how many points are removed? I am used to Quebec tickets where everything is written on the ticket. On this Ontario one, it doesn't even talk about points. Is there anyway I can find out?

I won't bother fighting it if there are no points, but otherwise, it's another story.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Karim@Corner73; 05-31-2005 at 02:48 PM.
Karim@Corner73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:47 PM   #2
crusher
OMGHI2U2

Send a message via Skype™ to crusher
that should be 3 points..
http://www.ontariotraffictickets.com...ingtickets.htm

EDIT: unless you don't get the ontario points? hmm
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:57 PM   #3
Ital_325i
Lost in a world of Chaos

In Ontario, points are added, not removed. So you start with zero, and accumulate. If you have a G2, at 9 points you are called to a meeting, and could have your lisence suspended. With a full G, you have till 12-15(can't remember the exact number)

Fight the ticket. Bring the ticket to a local courthouse, tell them you want to proceed with Option 3 (Not guilty), unless you want to plead guilty, and pay the fine, and get stuck with the charge without any trial. They process it and you get a notice in the mail of a courtdate, unless you plead guilty and pay the fine then and there.
Ital_325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:00 PM   #4
Karim@Corner73
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher
that should be 3 points..
http://www.ontariotraffictickets.com...ingtickets.htm

EDIT: unless you don't get the ontario points? hmm
Wow, pretty ridiculous to get 3 points for such minor speeding... I don't think they even bother stopping people for that in Montreal

I guess I'll have to fight it.

Last edited by Karim@Corner73; 05-31-2005 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:04 PM   #5
Karim@Corner73
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ital_325i
Fight the ticket. Bring the ticket to a local courthouse, tell them you want to proceed with Option 3 (Not guilty)

Do I absolutely have to go there in person?

I am in Montreal right now...
Old 05-31-2005, 03:13 PM   #6
Ital_325i
Lost in a world of Chaos

Try bringing it to a local courthouse in montreal, they should be able to file it for you. If not, there should be a number on the rear of the ticket. Call them and see what your options are to file the case as a "Not Guilty" plea.

Better yet, if you get legal help, get them to do all the dirty work for you, thats what your paying them for.
Ital_325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:17 PM   #7
Karim@Corner73
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ital_325i
Try bringing it to a local courthouse in montreal, they should be able to file it for you. If not, there should be a number on the rear of the ticket. Call them and see what your options are to file the case as a "Not Guilty" plea.

Better yet, if you get legal help, get them to do all the dirty work for you, thats what your paying them for.

I really doubt a Quebec court will file anything for me in Ontario.

I'll give the Ontario Court of Justice a call and see what I can do.

Thanks for the help.

I still can't believe it...3 points for 70 in a 50 zone... gosh...
Old 05-31-2005, 05:46 PM   #8
moregothanshow
All Show No Go!

easiest thing to do is ask for a first appearance or something like that, its basically u setting up an appointment with the justice of peace (jp) or something like that, where-in u "come to an agreement/plea" usually they will reduce it to 15km/h over the limit which should cost u about $57.50. that optiuon will cost u zero (0) point. its is usually what happens. they give u this option to save court costs, because in the end they will end up reducing it to 15km/h over anyways. the gov is just making money. also the first appearance thing is good because if the jp doesnt make u a deal u like, u can still set a court date. but bottom line is u will get the ticket reduced to zero points, trial or no trial. u just have to put in the time to appear of have someone appear for u. if u have someone appear for u sign a letter giving them the right to represent u. dont worrie its a pretty dumb thing cops pull u over for doing 20 over. its just a waste of time for us motorists. for the cops its a quota, and for the gov its the biggest revenue scam.
Good Luck,
Old 05-31-2005, 06:24 PM   #9
Bmwstylz
6th Gear Member

Just be careful if it was Reduced to 70km in 50km zone. They can tell on the ticket if this is the case and wont be too pleased if you lied to them about it lol
Old 05-31-2005, 08:45 PM   #10
Karim@Corner73
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moregothanshow
easiest thing to do is ask for a first appearance or something like that, its basically u setting up an appointment with the justice of peace (jp) or something like that, where-in u "come to an agreement/plea" usually they will reduce it to 15km/h over the limit which should cost u about $57.50. that optiuon will cost u zero (0) point. its is usually what happens. they give u this option to save court costs, because in the end they will end up reducing it to 15km/h over anyways. the gov is just making money. also the first appearance thing is good because if the jp doesnt make u a deal u like, u can still set a court date. but bottom line is u will get the ticket reduced to zero points, trial or no trial. u just have to put in the time to appear of have someone appear for u. if u have someone appear for u sign a letter giving them the right to represent u. dont worrie its a pretty dumb thing cops pull u over for doing 20 over. its just a waste of time for us motorists. for the cops its a quota, and for the gov its the biggest revenue scam.
Good Luck,

I like what you are saying. Sounds good

The only thing is: How do I ask for a first appearance?

Can I do this on the phone or in writing? From what I read on the ticket, I have to be there in person. I can't really do this right now...

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:47 PM   #11
Karim@Corner73
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwstylz
Just be careful if it was Reduced to 70km in 50km zone. They can tell on the ticket if this is the case and wont be too pleased if you lied to them about it lol

What does that mean? That the cop clocked me at more than 70 and reduced it?

How can I tell if it was reduced?

I doubt I was going anywhere above 70.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:56 PM   #12
Karim@Corner73
5th Gear Member

Just got news from the OTT guys.

They say they will do all the work for 225$. Basically setting up a court date, going to court and fighting it. I don't have to show up.

They guarantee I will not lose points or they give me a full refund.
Not too bad.

I'll keep them as a possibility.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:48 AM   #13
BMWF1

I really doubt ontario will remove points off your record, i got tickets before in the states and no points were ever removed the only thing that happened is that it will shop up on your driving record and insurance will know, but points stayed the same, i still have all mine (as they just got renewed )
Old 06-01-2005, 11:11 AM   #14
Karim@Corner73
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF1
I really doubt ontario will remove points off your record, i got tickets before in the states and no points were ever removed the only thing that happened is that it will shop up on your driving record and insurance will know, but points stayed the same, i still have all mine (as they just got renewed )
It depends on the states and provinces.

Quebec had a deal with Ontario. The points will definitely be removed from my Quebec license.

Whereas in Vermont, the points I lost didn't show up (no deal with the province of Quebec).
Old 06-01-2005, 12:14 PM   #15
moregothanshow
All Show No Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim E36
Just got news from the OTT guys.

They say they will do all the work for 225$. Basically setting up a court date, going to court and fighting it. I don't have to show up.

They guarantee I will not lose points or they give me a full refund.
Not too bad.

I'll keep them as a possibility.
paying the $225 for the lawyer is probbaly a better route for u since its a good 5-6 hour drive for u to get here, after getting here your gonna end up spending that much anyways gas, food, hotel, etc... might as well save yourself the drive/km's...
Good Luck!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: