Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-19-2005, 08:55 PM   #1
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
I just had an argument with my boss (rant)

Ok, so I work at Second Cup. And my boss has been an ass to every employee in many ways. No one likes him, and many people have quit since he bought out the store (a few months ago)

When I was hired, I filled out a sheet with which hours I can work. I go to school until 3:15 all week, so I put that I can only work 4 pm - midnight on weekdays, and 6am - midnight on weekends.

Now, I come in, and check next weeks schedule, and I'm working on saturday morning and sunday morning (which is fine) but I'm also working on MONDAY morning.

So I call him and I asked why I'm working on monday morning, because in my sheet that I filled out I specifically indicated that I can only work starting at 4 on monday. He said that he treated monday as a weekend since it's a holiday, and I said that it's unfair because it was not indicated anywhere that it would work like this. I thought that since I filled out that I can only work on monday after 4, I would only work after 4, regardless if it's a holiday or not.

BTW, just a note, I don't really care THAT much that I was scheduled to work, it's not THAT much of a big deal to me. Like honestly if he called and asked me nicely I would've probably said yes. But he's not nice at ALL, and I personally think it's unprofessional to treat your employees like this.

ANyways, back to the story. I said to him that "I would've apprciated if you called me to make sure I can work on monday morning before scheduling me, because i *DID* indicate that I can only work starting at 4 and it was no indicated anywhere that holidays will be treated like weekends". He said he doesn't have time, etc, and then he tells me that *I* was supposed to call in and tell him in advance that I can't work monday morning. Now at this point I was like "WTF" (I didnt' say that, though), because why would I call in to say that I can't work monday morning if it says on my goddamn application that I can't work monday mornings?

So whatever, that's my rant. If he treats his employees so shittily and can't take 2 mins to ask if I can work on a day that I specified I am unavailable, then **** him. I'll quit as soon as I can get another job.

Thanks for reading about my incident. I won't even get into the other shit this guy does. ANyways, I would like your opinions on this. Am I right? Like I DO see his point about how it's a holiday but it's still a monday and I think the right thing to do would be to call and ask...and if he didn't ask I don't think it's right that he's so pissy at me cause HE'S the one who scheduled me on a monday when I said I can't working mondays.
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:01 PM   #2
4-banger
2nd Gear Member

work at starbucks
4-banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
EricTsang
2nd Gear Member

call in sick bro. what can he do fire you? no chance.
EricTsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:06 PM   #4
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

eh call in sick.

but it is 1.5 times /hr overtime pay.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:08 PM   #5
Manimillion
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTsang
call in sick bro. what can he do fire you? no chance.
Might get him not to work for that day but after that he will just get written up for the smallest things and get fired that way. If he complains to the labour board they'll just laugh at him because he has been written up for his actions not just fired because he didn't work on monday.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:12 PM   #6
Manimillion
Photographer

[quote=BlitzSix]...QUOTE]

I've studied both Labour and Employement Law. From what you are telling, he might seem to be an ass but you had to call in and make sure he doesn't put you on the shift. Because like you said, you can't work before 4 on weekdays because of your school and monday is not a weekday it is a holiday. I am sure he knows why you can't work before 4pm. If you ever study labour law you will se how much the employer is favoured over the employee over alot of topics. Why? Because employers have a big influence on the countries economy. Since you aren't a professional worker and you can be easly replaced you will be bossed around.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against you but thats how things work. There is no point of arguing with your employer unless they have done something very unfair, if you argue with your supervisor/boss's about stuff like this it will get you no where and cost you your job.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:23 PM   #7
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

[quote=DevilOnWheelz]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzSix
...QUOTE]

Why? Because employers have a big influence on the countries economy. Since you aren't a professional worker and you can be easly replaced you will be bossed around.
Wrong, file a few legit complaints against a company n see how they get favoured. They dont.... unless its infact justified, the system is complaint driven n employees are defended well when the company has infact broken the law.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:31 PM   #8
Manimillion
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30
Wrong, file a few legit complaints against a company n see how they get favoured. They dont.... unless its infact justified, the system is complaint driven n employees are defended well when the company has infact broken the law.
Did you know that there are more canadian dying at their workpalce then then getting murdered on the street, and 90% of the time employers don't face anything, yet if you murder a person 99% the time you will face one of the biggest penalties set in law?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:40 PM   #9
WhadUpp
BIG BIG WHEELS

Yes I do know more Canadians and Americans die on the job than get murdered but just because someone dies while working doesnt necessarily mean its the company's fault. Yes there are some cases where the Employer is negligent (ie. asbestos claims) but not always.
WhadUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:12 PM   #10
Ryousuke
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ryousuke Send a message via AIM to Ryousuke
O_o is it just me or I really don't see a problem with that since the monday is a holiday my boss always does that and I work at a grocery store and don't complain about that... as long as he doesn't put you when you have to go to school I don't see a problem with that O_o oh well that is just me
Ryousuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:20 PM   #11
Rampage
6th Gear Member

^^ Im with you on this

Some places will ask what hours can you work on weeknights, and what can you work on weekends. In this case, you specified that after 4 on weeknights and anytime on the weekend. Since he knew you had monday off, he considered it a weekend and scheduled you in for what your normal weekend hours would be.

Now, where I work, the guy who does the schedule makes sure to okay all the hours with everyone before finalizing anything, for example something like this. It would have been nicer if he had asked you ahead of time, but there are few people that would. Basically, whatever you said you can work, you could be assigned.

And dont call in sick, it will just make matters worse between the two of you
Old 05-19-2005, 11:10 PM   #12
BS87
2nd Gear Member

I used to have this really asshole manager when i worked in a chain-type store (like CVS, Ecakrds, etc).

He always tried to fit in, make comments about hot girls etc, joke around but he was always an asshole about it. He "Jokingly" started throwing toilet-paper at me one day, and hit me in the head with one. I turned around and ****ing nailed him in the face as hard as i could with a roll, leaving him with a nice bruise for a few days.

****er quit a week later, guess he finnaly got the drift.
BS87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:13 PM   #13
Miguel
...Delt Smash

suck it up.

he's your boss and you are his employee.

END

OF

STORY
Old 05-20-2005, 12:02 AM   #14
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryousuke
O_o is it just me or I really don't see a problem with that since the monday is a holiday my boss always does that and I work at a grocery store and don't complain about that... as long as he doesn't put you when you have to go to school I don't see a problem with that O_o oh well that is just me

Yes but the point is that it wasn't specified that he would treat a holiday as a weekend. And just because he knows I have school doesn't really prove anything, I don't NEED to have a reason for choosing the hours I choose, when I applied if I put only after 4 then I think he should respect that, even if I don't have school. I don't even have to give him the reason for why I choose my hours that way, it's really none of his business I just fill out when I want to work and he can choose to hire me or not. Or at least ****ing check with me before just putting it on and not even mentioning it to me, that's all I ask...

Like what if I have a spare last couple periods and finish at 12, and he somehow finds this out then u guys are saying he can schedule me at 1 pm because I don't have school? No, that's bs, because I put after 4 and the reason doesn't matter.

I shouldn't have to call in because I'm not changing ANYTHING about my availablity hours as I submitted them when I got hired, *HE* should call me to ask me if I can work at that time because it's specified than I am NOT available monday morning. It does not say that there's an exception because of a holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Some places will ask what hours can you work on weeknights, and what can you work on weekends. In this case, you specified that after 4 on weeknights and anytime on the weekend. Since he knew you had monday off, he considered it a weekend and scheduled you in for what your normal weekend hours would be.

This is not true. I did NOT put after 4 on "weeknights" and anytime on "weekends". I SPECIFICALLY filled out each day of the week, and specifically put after 4 on monday. It did NOT say that any holidays will be treated as a weekend, and I was not aware of it, and he can't take 2 minutes to call me to ask about it.

Last edited by BlitzSix; 05-20-2005 at 12:05 AM.
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:56 AM   #15
CATALYST
1st Gear Newbie

Blitz,
Welcome to the real WORLD. Ppl like ur Boss are more concerned with their profits than with ur sched. If ur boss was a true leader he would have asked u to comprimise. But he didn't.
My advice is to concentrate on school, keep the boss happy and one day u will have enough $$ to fire HIS ass.

Learn to drive then you can blame the car.

SIL325CI BLK00TL SILZX7R
CATALYST is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: