Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #211
Gleb
E30 ..?
 
Gleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,158
Wheel questions

Great thread! Now for my problem/dilemma/questions.

I have 1987 325i, which is 90% track car, lowered with Eibach springs and Boge shocks, couple of months from now I will get Bilstein Sport shocks. Currently I run 15x7 TSW Hockenhaim R wheels, which look great, but too heavy( I think around 20 lbs.) What I want is something lighter and maybe a bit bigger/wider. This is what I'm looking at right now:

1.Ronal LS 15x7.5. I understand that these are a perfect fit (+25), but no one seems to know, including RONAL how much they weigh. An e-mail from Ronal said 16lbs, a call to them got an answer of 13lbs. Does anyone know for sure?

2.Team Dynamics Racing PRO RACE 1 and/or PRO RACE 2, both in 15x7.
Pro Race 1 weighs 13.2 lbs. and the offset is +35.
Pro Race 2 weighs 14.2 lbs. with the offsets ranging from 15 to 40.
Does anyone know anything about these wheels, like fitment/quality?

3.BBS RG-F 15x7(+33) 10.8 lbs.,
16x7(+35) 12.8 lbs.
When you go to bbs-usa.com it says:
"Standart fitment... requires an additional hardware kit containing hub-centric spacers and longer lug bolts. The thickness of the spacer will effect the final offset for this application."
Generally everyone says BBS is THE best, but do I want spacers and longer bolts for track use?

4.Alpina Classic 16x8, but their website says that the fenders have to be rolled for a good fit and it doesn't mention the weight/offset. I am reasonably sure that they are not too heavy and the offset should be perfect in case of Alpina. Do you really have to roll the fenders to fit these wheels? German tuning houses are usually over-cautious.

I understand that the price difference between these wheel companies is huge, I will live with that as long as I get THE BEST quality and fitment. ANY suggestions and thoughts guys???

Thank you very much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ls_bmw.jpg (49.4 KB, 694 views)
File Type: jpg wheelPic_11-14-2005_879.jpg (29.8 KB, 701 views)
Gleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:34 PM   #212
Chris de la Cruz
sex, drifting & punk rock
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: markham
Posts: 5,668
Send a message via MSN to Chris de la Cruz
^^^^^there's a group buy from another forum for the Rota Slipstreams... from what i know they are fairly light and are 15x8 and perfect offset. There are still some spots avaliable... give them a call.

visit the site www.18racing.com
__________________
www.CSCS.ca
Chris de la Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:04 PM   #213
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,845
I'll try to answer all your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb
1.Ronal LS 15x7.5. I understand that these are a perfect fit (+25), but no one seems to know, including RONAL how much they weigh. An e-mail from Ronal said 16lbs, a call to them got an answer of 13lbs. Does anyone know for sure?
16.7lbs. Ronal is really shady with their supply recently, make sure they actually have them in. And also FYI, they refuse to ship to Canada due to an exclusive distribution deal with Tireworks in Mississauga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb
2.Team Dynamics Racing PRO RACE 1 and/or PRO RACE 2, both in 15x7.
Pro Race 1 weighs 13.2 lbs. and the offset is +35.
Pro Race 2 weighs 14.2 lbs. with the offsets ranging from 15 to 40.
Does anyone know anything about these wheels, like fitment/quality?
Both the PR1 and PR2 come in ET25 for E30s. They are SpecE30 wheels, very strong and very light. Just ugly as sin in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb
3.BBS RG-F 15x7(+33) 10.8 lbs.,
16x7(+35) 12.8 lbs.
When you go to bbs-usa.com it says:
"Standart fitment... requires an additional hardware kit containing hub-centric spacers and longer lug bolts. The thickness of the spacer will effect the final offset for this application."
Generally everyone says BBS is THE best, but do I want spacers and longer bolts for track use?
You can run either the 15" or 16" RG-F without spacers, but you would have to stick to 205 width tires. Spacers and longer lugs are safe, the only issue is that true hubcentric spacers are all 15mm minimum, except for the custom made ones Tirerack sells with the BBS wheels (which are 10mm). I've used the 10mm BBS spacers, they didn't have any vibrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb
4.Alpina Classic 16x8, but their website says that the fenders have to be rolled for a good fit and it doesn't mention the weight/offset. I am reasonably sure that they are not too heavy and the offset should be perfect in case of Alpina. Do you really have to roll the fenders to fit these wheels? German tuning houses are usually over-cautious.
The 16x8 Alpinas are ET28 I believe, and do not mount the front of an E30 without spacers (they contact the struts). Alpina designed them for the rear only, as a staggered setup with the 16x7 to always be used on the front. They were designed to be used with 205/50 and 225/45 tires, you most likely would not need to roll the fenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb
I understand that the price difference between these wheel companies is huge, I will live with that as long as I get THE BEST quality and fitment. ANY suggestions and thoughts guys???
I had the same concerns, eventually I took the difficult path of finding a set of old BBS wheels made specifically for the E30 (ET20 15x7 BBS RZ's) and refinishing them. It cost a lot in the end, but I finally have wheels that look great, fit without spacers or rings, and hold nice wide tires (225/50/15 without rubbing).

Good luck!
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:39 AM   #214
Gleb
E30 ..?
 
Gleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,158
Thank you, thank you very much!
Gleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:30 PM   #215
Gleb
E30 ..?
 
Gleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,158
16.7lbs. Ronal is really shady with their supply recently, make sure they actually have them in. And also FYI, they refuse to ship to Canada due to an exclusive distribution deal with Tireworks in Mississauga.
------------------------------------------------------
Two weeks ago Dave from Tireworks told me that they have 2 sets in the wearhouse down the street. He didn't give me the exact price (I wasn't asking), but he said it would be under a $1000.00 tax incl.

Last Friday (June 30) I was driving by a place way north on Yonge, north of Elgin Mills, south of Aurora, on the east side, I don't remember what this pace is called, but you can see it from the street, I think there is a "Frog's Gym" next to it, anyway, the guy there told me that he can get a set of Ronals LS within a day (he called his supplier or whoever while I was there) and the CASH price is $750.00 tax incl.
If anyone is looking for them I hope this helps.
Gleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:37 PM   #216
NateoriouS
Nateorious C.A.G
 
NateoriouS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Megacity
Posts: 2,219
is there a such thing as a 5 lug universal rim..?

i've seen some advertised as a 5 lug universal, but does that include 5x100, 5x114, and 5x120..?

just curious.. does anybody know..?

thanks
__________________


'88 E30 325i sold
'88 E30 325i 2.7 stroker sold
'95 E36 318i sold
'94 E36 325ic Cabriolet sold
'87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II sold
'96 E36 328i Cabriolet - sold
'92 Mazda Miata Black Nardi Edition sold
'98 E36 M3 Cabriolet -

"Float like a Cadillac, Sting like a BEAMER" ... ... Lightning McQueen
NateoriouS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:37 AM   #217
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: T-Dot
Posts: 9,946
Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb

Last Friday (June 30) I was driving by a place way north on Yonge, north of Elgin Mills, south of Aurora, on the east side, I don't remember what this pace is called, but you can see it from the street, I think there is a "Frog's Gym" next to it, anyway, the guy there told me that he can get a set of Ronals LS within a day (he called his supplier or whoever while I was there) and the CASH price is $750.00 tax incl.
If anyone is looking for them I hope this helps.
wat where is this place? phone #?
__________________
#E36-S54 #CSLWannabe
ZiMMie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:42 AM   #218
Gleb
E30 ..?
 
Gleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,158
^^^ Just look above. On Yonge street, east side, north of Elgin Mills, you can see their shop window full of wheels.
Gleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:48 AM   #219
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: T-Dot
Posts: 9,946
Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb
^^^ Just look above. On Yonge street, east side, north of Elgin Mills, you can see their shop window full of wheels.
found the place ill give them a call tommorow thanx.
__________________
#E36-S54 #CSLWannabe
ZiMMie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:51 AM   #220
Gleb
E30 ..?
 
Gleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,158
Oh, I think the guy's name is Mark
Gleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:39 AM   #221
ChadWC218
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Richmond, BC Canada
Posts: 25
Will 15x7" ET13 wheels with 205/55/R15's fit a lowered E30?
__________________
'91 E30 M42 DIAMANTSCHWARZ
ChadWC218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:40 PM   #222
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb
Two weeks ago Dave from Tireworks told me that they have 2 sets in the wearhouse down the street. He didn't give me the exact price (I wasn't asking), but he said it would be under a $1000.00 tax incl.
Tireworks has given me WILDLY different pricing over the years. I think I explained it earlier in the thread, but the last quote they gave me was quite a bit over $1k IIRC.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:41 PM   #223
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTy E30
is there a such thing as a 5 lug universal rim..?

i've seen some advertised as a 5 lug universal, but does that include 5x100, 5x114, and 5x120..?

just curious.. does anybody know..?

thanks
Usually not 5x120 on there, but yes, 5-lug universal rims exist.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:42 PM   #224
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadWC218
Will 15x7" ET13 wheels with 205/55/R15's fit a lowered E30?
It may rub somewhat, rolling may be necessary. Also check for calpier clearance, E21 fitment wheels like those have very little room on the inside.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:19 PM   #225
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: T-Dot
Posts: 9,946
Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
Tireworks has given me WILDLY different pricing over the years. I think I explained it earlier in the thread, but the last quote they gave me was quite a bit over $1k IIRC.
I picked up the set for $750 TAXES IN .

Now tires wat size/brand should i buy for them.

If anyone wants the place is called Extreme Wheels. phone #905-770-2302
I bought the last set in toronto.
__________________
#E36-S54 #CSLWannabe

Last edited by ZiMMie; 07-05-2006 at 07:22 PM.
ZiMMie is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2014