I have always yearned to drive a well sorted E30, so I'm taking it upon myself to do so. My plan is simple, with a well proven track record of success, and with a great deal of documentation both in print and on the forums to provide support: swap an S52 into a E30 coupe.
Step one of ten thousand was to source an S52.
I found this one on Kijiji sitting in a VERY derilict E36 M3. She's got 300,000km on the clock, but she runs, doesn't hunt for idle, and doesn't blow more smoke than you'd expect from a car this age. Also comes with everything you see here, except the cluster.
I'll bring it home on Saturday, mount it on the engine stand, and start tearing it down gradually to assess what needs to be done.
Some of the highlights I'm planning:
- Have the block dipped to get it cleaned up nicely;
- Flatness check/resurface of block/heads if required;
- Balance the crank;
- New main and rod bearings;
- Eagle rods;
- New Mahle oversized pistons;
- Bore the cylinders;
- APR hardware (main bearing studs, head studs);
- 3-angle valve job;
- New springs;
- New lifters;
- New timing chains;
- Refurbish oil pump (or new depending on condition);
- New water pump;
Stuff that's undecided:
- OBD-I or II (leaning towards II);
- New cams or not (they cost a fortune);
- New valves/guides (may not be necessary);
Once the engine is done, it's time to find a 318 roller and a 6-speed.
I know none of what I'm doing is novel or interesting - I just keep these threads for all my projects. Thanks for stopping by.