Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-14-2005, 11:00 AM   #1
3SERB
3rd Gear Member

Brake Pads

I am looking for new pads, not sure what to go with..any suggestions or ideas would be helpful
Old 05-14-2005, 10:32 PM   #2
tatawaki
2nd Gear Member

Axxis Ultimates are great - very close to stock initial bite, much less brake dust, I'm buying another set. used these for winter driving, no problems.

Hawk HPS - not as good initial bite, gets better with heat.

these are the two top choices. on all forums.
http://www.bmwpower.ca
tatawaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 10:06 AM   #3
3SERB
3rd Gear Member

Sweets, Where can I pick them up and how much do they cost?
Old 05-15-2005, 01:03 PM   #4
tatawaki
2nd Gear Member

I've always dealt with Rob at Tunerworks! give him a call. tunerworks.com

1-866-355-FAST (3278)
Old 05-15-2005, 03:27 PM   #5
mecbain
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatawaki
Axxis Ultimates are great - very close to stock initial bite, much less brake dust, I'm buying another set. used these for winter driving, no problems.

I have a set of these ceramic brake pads and they're not that good at all, I don't understand why everybody likes them so much....They're good for everyday light to light braking, but if you do some highspeed frequent braking look somewhere alse.
mecbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:10 PM   #6
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

I have ceramix pads as well, I love them. I could almost stop on a dime now, big time difference from my Oem's . I'm running those with Brembo rotors.

I paid $260 for the pads all around.

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 10:27 PM   #7
rico328i
5th Gear Member

pads

Mecbain,

I don't know how accurate your comments were about the A. Ultimates (ceramic/kevlar). I've tracked with them as well as auto-x'd (no heaving braking really) and they WORK WELL!!!! I'm quite happy with them. When my brakes started to fade at Shannonville, I when into the pits to let them cool off - ahhhh the smell of brakes at the pits!! Gotta love it. As for day to day use, I would prefer the OEM pads. Believe it or not, they are very good! I find that you need to get some heat into the ceramic pads before they work properly. No surprise there.

As for the A. Ultimates giving off less dust - I wouldn't agree with that either. I would say they're about the same as OEM. Either way, I won't give up performance just to get less dust on my rims.

Picked mine up last year from Tunerworks in Calgary.

Oh....and I'm running mine w/ Brembo rotors (blanks).
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 10:55 PM   #8
tatawaki
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecbain
I have a set of these ceramic brake pads and they're not that good at all, I don't understand why everybody likes them so much....They're good for everyday light to light braking, but if you do some highspeed frequent braking look somewhere alse.
I've never done a lot of high speed braking, but I've given the pads a few work outs and it was solid. if I did it would be at the track so I usually swap out my fronts with Cobalt Spec VR pads. I've done over 35 auto-x's with my ulitimates and love them. but if you do a lot of high speed, hard braking maybe the Hawke HPS or HP+ are better for you, though again more heat may be required to get them up to temps.

they definately have less brake dust so I don't understand what your talking about

remember that axxis metal masters are not the same as ultimates ( some people say that they are) I'm using brembo blanks as well.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:07 PM   #9
rico328i
5th Gear Member

pads

Tatawaki,

So we use the same brake set up. Brembo's + A. Ult. Ceramics. Are you sure you are finding them to have less dust than OEM? What pads did you have on last time before the ceramic? I notice you're in the Peg - don't you notice that you have to put some heat into them first? Catches me a little off guard on those cold mornings or winter when I first hit the brakes and the car doesn't respond for a split second!!! I have some SS brake lines going on soon. We'll see how well they work with that set-up. I have 2 track days lined up in the next bit and I have high expectations......
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:10 AM   #10
///m325
1st Gear Newbie

my favorite brake set up is hawk pads zimmerman cross drilled rotors and stainless lines... check out understeer.com
///m325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:40 AM   #11
Ital_325i
Lost in a world of Chaos

Im looking at doing a brake upgrade. I know there was a guy on max a while back selling brembos, that were crossdilled, but I can't find his contact. Does anyone know a place where I can get a set for a reasonable price, along with some good pads?

Thanks in advance
Ital_325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 02:27 AM   #12
mecbain
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatawaki
they definately have less brake dust so I don't understand what your talking about
I never said they don't have less brake dust, but for the braking personnaly I just don't like them, it's my right lol! I know that here and on bimmeforums everybody told me how good they are and that's why I bought them, but I'm really disappointed...

EDIT: btw I have PBR ultimate ceramics, don't know if that makes a difference, heard it's exactly the same compagny that makes them (axxis).
mecbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:33 AM   #13
tatawaki
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecbain

EDIT: btw I have PBR ultimate ceramics, don't know if that makes a difference, heard it's exactly the same compagny that makes them (axxis).
they are different pads, as I was told.

I was using stock pads before I upgraded. I have SS lines in now, but that only solved the bad pedal feel. the only time I feel they needed to get some heat in them when I just swap them out from my cobalt spec VR pads. i.e. have not bedded the pads in yet. after they are properly bedded in, I don't have issues stoping with them.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:37 AM   #14
tatawaki
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico328i
Tatawaki,

So we use the same brake set up. Brembo's + A. Ult. Ceramics. Are you sure you are finding them to have less dust than OEM? What pads did you have on last time before the ceramic? I notice you're in the Peg - don't you notice that you have to put some heat into them first? Catches me a little off guard on those cold mornings or winter when I first hit the brakes and the car doesn't respond for a split second!!! I have some SS brake lines going on soon. We'll see how well they work with that set-up. I have 2 track days lined up in the next bit and I have high expectations......
well ceramics are like that where it may not be close to stock initial bite. I haven't had my stock pads on for over a year now so I don't remember what stock initial bite feels like. keep in mind that these are not track pads. just aggressive street pads.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:22 PM   #15
j23chan
2nd Gear Member

Has anyone ever tried or heard of EBC GreenStuffs or Redstuffs?
j23chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: