Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-12-2005, 03:31 PM   #61
ara325
holy old school...

Remember this, the more quantity a car mfg pumps out of the factory, the higher the probability of errors...this fact can't be ignored or stopped. The chart on the previous posts measures defects per 1000 cars built. REALLY it should be rated as a % of defects per the total production fleet (this will level the playing field across ALL manufacturers). So, naturally, there's going to be more complaints about Bimmers than say 10 years ago...why not, everyone and their mother has a BMW in Toronto...it kinda pisses me off actually because the long-time enthusiasts who once "stood out in a crowd" now are just another "part of the crowd"...faaaack the crowd! and the superficial "i'm cool b/c i drive a Bimmer that's nicer than my neighbours".

True Bimmer lovers know that they don't need to justify why they're driving their cars.

And for all who complain about their BMW's...see ya! one less Bimmer on the raod.

ethirty
ara325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:59 PM   #62
Raging Lamb
?

Here's another JD report, this one from 2004.
Note:
1. Position of Toyota
2. Position of Porche

Old 05-12-2005, 07:23 PM   #63
Raging Lamb
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmedia
* Bimmers are in a class on their own, and the mods/chips/tuner work available to each owner gives them way more play than most cars, and the ability to customize without going nutty on costs,
For my car: Chip about $700 USD
Intake: Cheapest ever: $280 USD (before that $1000 USD)
Coilovers: over $1000 USD easy
Muffler: Around $1000 USD
Rims: around $3,000 - $4,000 USD
S/C: $10,000 - $25,000 USD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmedia
how many bimmers you know that look exactly alike
How about every 3 series model of a given year. People still aren't exactly sure what my car is.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:30 PM   #64
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

good god u guys are scaring me...some excellent points were raised in this thread. Yes BMW is NOT "THE" best automaker out there....but WHO is?...nobody thats who...every manuf. has their pros and cons(as stated earlier in the thread). It's just the fact that we're BMW enthusiasts that we appreciate these Munich Monsters...just the same way honda enthusiasts love their JDM beauties...and categorizing other honda boards as all 'ricers' isn't really fair, i know QUITE a good # of ppl who own cleanly done up hondas, in fact i wouldn't be surprised down the line if i own another honda/toyota along with my bimmer...fact is their awesome commuter cars as their great on gas/cheap to repair.

But i love bmws for what they are...BMWs, they don't need to be the best...i love how they look, i love how they sound, & i love how they perform.

But i understand Betray's frustration, 62k and tranny failure is horrible...hopefully u have no more hardshps with the car in the near future....
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:12 PM   #65
AlpWhitE46
is a pimp

Send a message via MSN to AlpWhitE46
haha...what a thread i seriously laughed at most of these replies....sad how some people bullshit so much...

at least some people get the damn facts, thank you sickfinga.
AlpWhitE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:11 PM   #66
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by ara325
Remember this, the more quantity a car mfg pumps out of the factory, the higher the probability of errors...this fact can't be ignored or stopped.
Not true .. go tell that to Koenigsegg or Bugatti owners .. they will laugh at you.
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:30 PM   #67
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Lamb
How about every 3 series model of a given year. People still aren't exactly sure what my car is.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Lamb
Here's another JD report, this one from 2004.
Note:
1. Position of Toyota
2. Position of Porche

lolowowolol
kia > porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpWhitE46
haha...what a thread i seriously laughed at most of these replies....sad how some people bullshit so much...

at least some people get the damn facts, thank you sickfinga.
I love how you can completely disregard fact and go with whatever conclusion your mind has created for you.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:52 PM   #68
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel
I agree 100%.

BMW... not as reliable as Toyota, lexus, etc.
BMW... not as luxurious as mercedes...
BMW... not as fast as domestic cars in a straight line
BMW... not as good in the twisties as a subaru
BMW... not as cheap to buy as *.ahellofalotofcars

Bimmers are OK at everything and top of the class at nothing.

That is honestly the most ignorant post I've seen you write.

Um yeah, but since Toyota was what, near or was #1, neither was any other car. Same could be said for any other car company.

Like vlad said, depends on which model. And its not as expensive as mercedes either. Mercedes isn't as sporty as BMW. But you buy for what you want. If you want luxury over handing, u buy benz, or vice versa.

So all domestic cars are faster than BMW. OK!

Again, Vlad got you on this one.

But not as expensive as *.ahellofalotofcars

Sure bmw isn't the best at everything, but who is? No body, same goes for every other THING on the face of this planet.

And maybe if you didn't have a lemon, you would see differently. You have a completely biased opinion. I don't think I've ever seen you take a view from both sides.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:01 PM   #69
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Remember this, the more quantity a car mfg pumps out of the factory, the higher the probability of errors...this fact can't be ignored or stopped.
I strongly disagree with this. The more cars an automakers produces the more quality errors they correct. This is why the first year of a new design always has the most problems, they didn't get a chance to work out any bugs yet. Conversely, the last year of a product cycle is always the most reliable.

Quote:
The chart on the previous posts measures defects per 1000 cars built. REALLY it should be rated as a % of defects per the total production fleet (this will level the playing field across ALL manufacturers). So, naturally, there's going to be more complaints about Bimmers than say 10 years ago...why not, everyone and their mother has a BMW in Toronto
That doesn't make any sense. Whether you use the problems per 1000 vehicles or your idea of % of total production, the number of BMW's sold shouldn't affect the number of complains within those statistical categories at all. It's still proportional. Also the % idea wouldn't make the ratings change significantly, 1000 cars is a high number that would effectively eliminate any possible low-production errors in ratings. The quality of 1000 random cars should definitely be enough to judge the entire production fleet.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:13 PM   #70
jeffrie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryousuke
I agree Porsche is prob the best bang for the dolar sports car you could buy and reliability is there better then any other car in the price range. They used the block for GT3 and GT2 and TT from GT1 thats why most porsches run without a hitch of a problem with 600+ HP and are daily drivers.
Second this.
Maybe not in north america but when I was in Germany their about as common as an Acura is to us. When old they keep their reliability and resale not to mention their actualy worth fixing when broken + they don't rust so mony spent not wasted. And the Europeans know it.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:16 PM   #71
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite

Um yeah, but since Toyota was what, near or was #1, neither was any other car. Same could be said for any other car company.
actually, according to that lil chart... Honda and Hyundai WERE close to Toyota.... while BMW was close to GM.
Quote:

Like vlad said, depends on which model. And its not as expensive as mercedes either. Mercedes isn't as sporty as BMW. But you buy for what you want. If you want luxury over handing, u buy benz, or vice versa.
not as sporty as bmw?!? remind me again, what bimmer is going to overtake an SLR.
Quote:

So all domestic cars are faster than BMW. OK!
....hmmm.... SRT-4 > then what? 90% of bimmers?
not to mention....

vette
viper
anything with SRT in the name
ford lightning?
you know as well as I do that there are a hell of a lot of faster domestics for half the price.

Quote:

Again, Vlad got you on this one.
oh really? try a wet track or a canadian snow storm...
Quote:

But not as expensive as *.ahellofalotofcars
oh really?!? base 320i = MSRP $34,950
have you SEEN the specs on what that $35K gets you in a 320i?
do you REALLY want to contest my fact or just concede defeat now?

Quote:
Sure bmw isn't the best at everything, but who is? No body, same goes for every other THING on the face of this planet.

And maybe if you didn't have a lemon, you would see differently. You have a completely biased opinion. I don't think I've ever seen you take a view from both sides.
correction, my E34 was a lemon. My 325i has been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned.

I do look at both sides and I DID rebuy a bmw. Im not saying they are bad cars, but Im not saying they are god's gift either.

In all fairness, most of the people praising em blindly in this thread don't even OWN a bmw.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:24 PM   #72
Raging Lamb
?

Case closed.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:37 PM   #73
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel
actually, according to that lil chart... Honda and Hyundai WERE close to Toyota.... while BMW was close to GM.
JD POwers reports are shit, PERIOD. It doesnt really show if a car higher quality than another. Here is how it works, new owners after puttin 5000miles on a car report what they dont like about the car. Can be anything, from a smell of the car to the blown engine.

Quote:

not as sporty as bmw?!? remind me again, what bimmer is going to overtake an SLR.
Here is a reminder, M3 CLS is faster around Nurburgring than SLR, and a lot faster too

Quote:
....hmmm.... SRT-4 > then what? 90% of bimmers?
not to mention....

vette
viper
anything with SRT in the name
ford lightning?
you know as well as I do that there are a hell of a lot of faster domestics for half the price.
Can faster american cars offer as much as BMW cars can?
Finish quality, resale value, handling, look, options etc all in one package?

Quote:
oh really? try a wet track or a canadian snow storm...
Who races during snow storms?
ok, wet track maybe? but my point is. SRT4 is faster than WRX around dry track. Let me repeat that again, a front wheel drive AMERICAN car handles better.

Quote:
oh really?!? base 320i = MSRP $34,950
have you SEEN the specs on what that $35K gets you in a 320i?
do you REALLY want to contest my fact or just concede defeat now?
True, but no one said BMW offered best prices.

Quote:
I do look at both sides and I DID rebuy a bmw. Im not saying they are bad cars, but Im not saying they are god's gift either.

In all fairness, most of the people praising em blindly in this thread don't even OWN a bmw.
I dont believe anyone says BMW is THE BEST CAR EVER.
no car manufacturer is the best.

Last edited by SickFinga; 05-12-2005 at 11:43 PM.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:40 PM   #74
Gamite

wow, I didn't even have to reply, thanks vlad.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:45 PM   #75
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga
JD POwers reports are shit, PERIOD. It doesnt really show if a car higher quality. Here is how it works, new owners after puttin 5000miles on a car report what they dont like about the car. Can be anything, from a smell of the car to the blown engine.
C'mon... give them a LITTLE bit more credit than that.
If you don't go by JDP who WILL you listen to before you admit it?
Quote:
Can faster american cars offer as much as BMW cars can?
Finish quality, resale value, handling, look, options etc all in one package?

Quote:
Who races during snow storms?
ok, wet track maybe? but my point is. SRT4 is faster than WRX around dry track. Let me repeat that again, a front wheel drive AMERICAN car handles better.
and exactly how MUCH faster was the bimmer than the WRX?
Quote:
True, but no one said BMW offered best prices.

I dont believe anyone says BMW is THE BEST CAR EVER.
no car manufacturer is the best.
one point we DO agree on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: