Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-04-2005, 09:32 PM   #31
BMWags
6th Gear Member

^^^^
http://www.kjct8.com/news/readnewsarchive.cfm <-----theres story i was talking about
BMWags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 09:35 PM   #32
WhadUpp
BIG BIG WHEELS

what story? ^^^ where is it linked?
WhadUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 09:50 PM   #33
Jari
4th Gear Member

one way ticket to hell
Jari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:32 PM   #34
Raging Lamb
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWags
well, i'll take a shot at this question...
I think he means that the individual isn't mentally strong enough,he shoots himself for what seems to be over a girl? Now heres another example; There was a guy a while back that got his arm crushed by a boulder after a rockslide while he was backpacking somewhere in BC i think. After spending a day or two trapped by the boulder, he AMPUTATED his OWN crushed arm with only a penknife then still had to travel to seek help. There is also something similar with rabbits, I took wildernes survival training and have witnessed this myself, if a rabbit gets a limb caught in a wire-snare trap, it will literally gnaw its own leg or foot off to escape the snare, although it does usually die a few meters away.

I guess natural selection applies because if the weak, (buddy with the gun) all die off, the species its'self remains stronger, dude who shot himself has no survival instinct, whereas the guy that amputated his arm has a strong instinct. How can a species thrive if it's creatures give up and die so easy?
BMWags,

Thank you very much for that explanation. I really didn't understand what people meant with those terms but now I do. And that's all I really wanted to know; what people mean when they say that. I have read books on the theory of evolution and genetics, and I am very interested in the implications of the (now 'neo') Darwinian theories for the field of psychology (the evolution of language and social behaviour) and psychopathology. I am already familiar with the theory of evolution and the general terms within the field.
From what I have learned, every application of the terms 'natural selection' and 'darwinism' I have encountered on internet forums has been wrong, and this is the case in this thread as well.
However I was not looking for an explanation of natural selection, I already know pretty well what it is, but what people on the internet meant when using it, and now I know after your explanation.
So thank you for that
Old 05-04-2005, 10:52 PM   #35
BMWags
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Lamb
BMWags,

Thank you very much for that explanation. I really didn't understand what people meant with those terms but now I do. And that's all I really wanted to know; what people mean when they say that. I have read books on the theory of evolution and genetics, and I am very interested in the implications of the (now 'neo') Darwinian theories for the field of psychology (the evolution of language and social behaviour) and psychopathology. I am already familiar with the theory of evolution and the general terms within the field.
From what I have learned, every application of the terms 'natural selection' and 'darwinism' I have encountered on internet forums has been wrong, and this is the case in this thread as well.
However I was not looking for an explanation of natural selection, I already know pretty well what it is, but what people on the internet meant when using it, and now I know after your explanation.
So thank you for that

To: Raging Lamb - Im clearly not an expert by anymeans but i find psychology quite interesting as well, but i dont believe that i am nearly as well read as you...lol..thanks for replying

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhadUpp
what story? ^^^ where is it linked?
^^^
To: WhadUpp - srry, the link doesnt work, here is the story, we were talking about how some ppl do crazy shit to survive while others just shoot themselves. This was an example.

ASPEN MAN AMPUTATES HIS OWN ARM TO SURVIVE CANYON

05/1/03
An Aspen man hiking in Canyonlands is in serious condition in St. Mary's Hospital. Here is the information from the Emery County, Utah Sheriffs Office, the Canyonlands National Park, and the Wayne County, Utah Sheriffs Office: On the afternoon of Saturday, April 26th, Aron Ralston, 27, of Aspen Colorado was solo canyoneering in remote Blue John Canyon, adjacent to the Maze District of Canyonlands National Park. His intended one day route was down the main fork of the Blue John Canyon to its intersection with Horseshoe Canyon and then down Horseshoe Canyon. In a 3' wide section of Blue John Canyon, a boulder weighing approximately 200 pounds fell on Ralston, pinning his right arm. Ralston was unable to move and was trapped. On the morning of Tuesday, April 29th, Ralston ran out of water. On the morning of Thursday, May 1, the Emery County Sheriff's Office and the National Park Service were notified of Ralston being four days overdue reporting for work. The Incident Command System was implimented with a unified command structure- each agency assumed a command function and provided resources. Utah Public Safety, Wayne County Sheriff's Office, the Bureau of Land Management and Grand County Search and Rescue provided additional resources. On the morning of May 1, Ralston realized that his survival required drastic action and he amputated his arm below the elbow utilizing his pocketknife. He then applied a tourniquet and administered first aid. He then rigged anchors and fixed a rope to rappel to the floor of the Blue John Canyon where he then continued hiking downstream into Horseshoe Canyon and was located at 3 pm by a Utah Public Safety Helicopter. He was transported to St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction, Colorado by a CareFlight helicopter for further treatment. Ralston is an avid outdoors person and is in exceptional physical condition. He is known to have climbed 49 of the 14K ft peaks in Colorado. He was preparing for an upcoming Denali expedition.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:05 PM   #36
mkgino
6th Gear Member

When the pimp's in the crib ma drop it like its hooooooottttttt
Old 05-04-2005, 11:30 PM   #37
WhadUpp
BIG BIG WHEELS

Thanks for the explanation BMWags Very interesting what you stated as well.
WhadUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:34 PM   #38
BMWags
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhadUpp
Thanks for the explanation BMWags Very interesting what you stated as well.

anytime dude
Old 05-05-2005, 12:14 AM   #39
*Luv_it*
3rd Gear Member

thats just f**ked
*Luv_it* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:34 AM   #40
Ryousuke
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ryousuke Send a message via AIM to Ryousuke
I've heard girldfriend broke up with him thats why he commited suicide O_o can't remember or mightbe a different one
Ryousuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:54 AM   #41
M3speed
6th Gear Member

oh man! i think you really have to be in a tough situation to even think about doing something like that to yourself... no one here can imagine what goes through someone's head when they are conteplating suicide
M3speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:55 AM   #42
EuroSpectacle
88iS

Send a message via MSN to EuroSpectacle
lol i know what went through his head... a ****ing bullet
EuroSpectacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:44 PM   #43
TheLoneVR!
戦うために住み、住む戦い

shit man me too....wow some people are seriously depressed and ...really most people dont know how much dammge they cause to another human being...sometimes it leads to stuff like this...wow.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP6NJA (Alek)
damn, thats messed
wasn't expecting that
I thought someones head was gonna get torn by the elevator
TheLoneVR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:55 PM   #44
TheLoneVR!
戦うために住み、住む戦い

uuummmmm thats not funny
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroSpectacle
lol i know what went through his head... a ****ing bullet
TheLoneVR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 03:00 PM   #45
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Lamb
I don't think it was incorrectly applied as I believe this man died as a weaker subject of his race, in this case it is a mental weakness. Does decent with modification not teach that variation exists in nature and as we have adapted we have become stronger with weaker beings not surviving?

If this is true than the world is better off without this guy no?
oh, and neo-darwinism is a crock

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: