Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-28-2005, 01:21 PM   #16
e36chick
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to e36chick

^^^ That's another one. Why disguise holidays? Holidays like Chinese New Year, Hanukkah, Diwali, Eid are easily talked about, because everyone wants to show they accept diversity and multiculturalism. Christmas? Oh no...that excludes people.
e36chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 04:22 PM   #17
maxx318i
BMW Individual

Send a message via ICQ to maxx318i Send a message via MSN to maxx318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by OILERS
the one that bothers me the most is Season greetings or happy holidays. when it's Christmas time and someone says season's greetings or happy holidays i always reply with Merry Christmas.
yea shit like that gets me upset.
"but we have to be politically correct..."
and i say.. "ya ya shove it.."

SAFETY BY EDUCATION, NOT SPEED ENFORCEMENT
maxx318i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 04:28 PM   #18
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

they say:

The Road to Hell is paved with Good Intentions

so enjoy the road bumps on the way down you
sad sucker muthr Fk'n politicaly correct fools..

my that wasn't very pc was it
Old 04-28-2005, 07:06 PM   #19
Raging Lamb
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36chick
Sure. As an example,...
hmm, I see. Your definitions of taboo and political correctness are somewhat different than mine. I understood 'taboo' to mean something entirely different, but ok.

Regarding correct terminology with the differently abled; I don't see for example why using politically correct tereminology with dyslexics is wrong. You can convey a message and run the chance of bringing the kid down (by reminding him of his disorder), or sugar coat it and get the same point across without running the risk of ruining the kids mood. I don't understand why you wounldn't choose the latter alternative.
When certain words, such as 'handicapped' start getting used in everyday language, they start losing their true purpose (objectively describing a condition) and acquire negative connotations. Today the word handicapped is rarely used to objectively describe someone in a neutral way, but it is often used instead in a condescending, negative way. That's why using it is no longer appropriate, because it can be of negative emotional impact on those who are 'disabled'.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:26 AM   #20
e36chick
6th Gear Member

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I understand about not needing to bring the kid down further by reminding him of a disorder, but I also think that in order to fix a problem, it must be addressed first. Maybe that was a poor example I came up with, but I guess I've just seen lots of these kind of problems sugarcoated to the point where, the kid believes he really is on the same level as his peers, thanks to constant "empowerment" from workers who want him to feel great about himself. Then, when he fails, it is a huge let-down for him, much more so than if he'd walked into the situation knowing his limitations.

A different example, this one really happened: At the last treatment centre I worked at, one client had many self-esteem issues. She was short, pretty overweight and looked like a boy because of (her choice of) buzz cut hair, no girl-type upkeep like makeup, facial care etc, and guy's athletic clothes. The big issue? was that at school, she was constantly teased by others, telling her she looks like a boy. This would aggravate her to no end, and caused her low self-esteem.

At the treatment centre, they want to help her feel good about herself. So...when she comes to a staff with a complaint of, "So and so called me a boy today!" the response was, "Wow, how mean. Don't let it get to you." Whereas my response was, "Well, that's how you come across to people, because of your choices in hair and clothing." If that makes the kid mad, so be it, but at least i'm being honest.

I guess the issue is honesty, and because of trying to cater to everyone in society, it gets sugarcoated to the point where it's barely recognizable at times.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:35 PM   #21
Raging Lamb
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36chick
A different example, this one really happened: At the last treatment centre I worked at, one client had many self-esteem issues. She was short, pretty overweight and looked like a boy because of (her choice of) buzz cut hair, no girl-type upkeep like makeup, facial care etc, and guy's athletic clothes. The big issue? was that at school, she was constantly teased by others, telling her she looks like a boy. This would aggravate her to no end, and caused her low self-esteem.

At the treatment centre, they want to help her feel good about herself. So...when she comes to a staff with a complaint of, "So and so called me a boy today!" the response was, "Wow, how mean. Don't let it get to you." Whereas my response was, "Well, that's how you come across to people, because of your choices in hair and clothing." If that makes the kid mad, so be it, but at least i'm being honest.

I guess the issue is honesty, and because of trying to cater to everyone in society, it gets sugarcoated to the point where it's barely recognizable at times.
yeah you're right, a little constructive criticism never hurts anyone. But I guess the system is made only to work in general, not to function optimally, so that's why you have to put up with these non sense rules of conduct.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:09 PM   #22
jeffrie
Addict

^^^ "in general" is the key IMO.
I see PC as more of a guidline to follow not take so literaly (as so many do till the point is lost or "blured") to get the most positive responses for all to benifit from, since we are all different we have to adjust. Their is no ONE WAY to deal with everyone.
As long as your honest and respect the people your speaking too with an open mind yourself you'll always be Politicaly Correct. The ones that arn't respectful to others are just that not Politicaly Correct.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 07:48 PM   #23
BimmerBlonde
2nd Gear Member

I think that living in a diverse society such as ours requires everyone to be as empathetic ,respectful and understanding towards others as possible. A little bit of political correctness doesn't hurt but it is only right when the individual truly feels that way and doesn't do it only to please others (i.e is not a hypocrite).
BimmerBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 07:56 PM   #24
e36chick
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Lamb
yeah you're right, a little constructive criticism never hurts anyone. But I guess the system is made only to work in general, not to function optimally, so that's why you have to put up with these non sense rules of conduct.

Very true, IN GENERAL being the key words. After that it's up to the individual.

Old 04-29-2005, 08:07 PM   #25
WhadUpp
BIG BIG WHEELS

I agree with most of the viewpoints here, in the beginning political correctness had some usefulness but sadly its purpose has eroded to the point where the degree of what is and not political correct can vary to extremes from one end to another. I may get flak for saying this but I preferred the pre-pc era where kids in school like myself back then were subjected to a more competitive environment where if I played sports for the school team, my teacher/coach had no problem conveying to me in the most poignant terms that I sucked playing and needed to get off my lazy ass and needed to perform better as it was felt I wasnt putting enough effort into it. Let a teacher or coach these days try something like that and I guarantee he/she will get reprimended for it. Its gotten to thew point these days where we're afraid to hurt lil' Johnny's itty bitty feelings. That's all we need all the kids these days to turn into belly-aching wussys that carry this behaviour on to their adult lives. Everytime life gets tough they're ready to wimp out.
Another example has to do with a friend of mine thats a teacher. He used to give hockey cards to students in grade 5 that put in extra effort during assignments/projects. When a little brat that had a history of being a trouble-maker and had little interest in doing his work didn't get a hockey card, the kid complained to his mother. The mother showed up the next day in the Principle's office complaining that her kid was being singled out. Before you know it, my teacher friend was called in and made to apologize to this kid and give him a few packs of cards. Apparently it was politically incorrect to give a card to one kid and not another. That was the last time my friend ever brought stuff to give to kids for incentive to do their best.

And as far as Christmas is concerned, that's another boil under my skin. How can a holiday like Christmas be anything other than what it is. Even the former mayor of Toronto Mel Lastman refused to change the name of the Christmas tree at City Hall to the 'Holiday Tree' when he came under pressure from some people that it excludes other people who don't celebrate Christmas. That was totally ridiculous.
WhadUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 08:12 PM   #26
Shuller1458
2nd Gear Member

People choose their soical grops by CHOICE not forced by government. So if I like social group but don't like another (for example black people), why is it soppose to be illigal to tell someone that you don't like them because just WHO they trully are. Black, white, desabled, gey...

You don't like bananna, you say "no thanks, I don't like the taste and I feel sick sometimes"

I don't like black calture, so that is what I say. But I do not participate and touch them.

That is not racism, that is preferance of your surroundings. That's how the whole earth works, and we have to change it? no way.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:28 PM   #27
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

This country......wait......world has sunk to a level that it is so.....pathetic.

Unless your being racist then you should be able to say what you want.

Examples:

Merry Christmas is becoming a no-no......but Ramadan or Hanukkah is ok.

So why do Christians have to stop thier holiday but others can celibrate thier own?

Mounties wear a uniform......but East Indian Canadians must wear a Turban.

I will clearly state that i'm not a racist person at all but why do people like to cover up that they are CANADIAN? Is it so bad to actually have our own identity.

Why do handicaped or African American people get offended when you say a certain description/title but it has changed so many times......WHO THE HELL KNOWS WHAT IS THE PROPER THING TO SAY ANYMORE?!?!

Rant over. Flame suit. ON!

Last edited by M50E30; 04-29-2005 at 08:32 PM.
M50E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 09:02 PM   #28
BMWags
6th Gear Member

nice.......it seems that everyone is making some great arguments. M50E30 has the point of people covering up being canadian, most notably in the mounties whos uniform was changed because of sikhs wearing turbans.....i feel as though Canada and the U.S are free countries where people take their culture with them, but the United States seems to more of a melting-pot, whereas Canada seems to accomodate and change to suit the different cultures..... but strongly believe that some long-established institutions should not be changed because of different cultures.
Example: the mounties again, that is a UNIFORM that has been around for ages, it is disrespecting to the canadian culture for people to wear something different.
BMWags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 09:10 PM   #29
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWags
Example: the mounties again, that is a UNIFORM that has been around for ages, it is disrespecting to the canadian culture for people to wear something different.
To add to this.......

I think it is great that people can express their culture in this country but to change a Canadian culture to accommodate their culture is just rude.

Also why do people (will not mention certain people) come to an English/French speaking country and not learn to speak it? Or what really floors me is that certain people will fake that they don't understand english.

Old 04-29-2005, 09:16 PM   #30
BMWags
6th Gear Member

and one more thing......there is a huge double-standard when it comes to political correctness; it seems to me that white people are so scared of being labelled as prejudiced we change all the little things like saying "Happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas", it would seem that parts of the regular white culture is disappearing so we dont accidentally offend someone.
BMWags is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: