Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-27-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
EricTsang
2nd Gear Member

do you care to be politically correct all the time

..like you have to make sure that you dont offend someone?

another example is if the person you're dealing with is an ashole and you still have to be careful with words. cant people be offended once in a while if they so deserve it? unfortunately the answer is yes if you chose to play the political correctness game.
EricTsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:03 PM   #2
moerom
6th Gear Member

I think if it needs to be said, go for it. Also, I believe that if something is true and only true, then regardless of surroundings, it can and should be said.
moerom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
Raging Lamb
?

I like to step on peoples toes as much as anybody. But you have to know who's toes you're stepping on. If they got big feet, they may stump on your sorry ass
Old 04-27-2005, 02:00 PM   #4
e36chick
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to e36chick
i dont care for political correctness. if something has to be said, it has to be said. all this tip-toeing around subjects is the reason why society has half the taboos and stereotypes that it does.
e36chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:02 PM   #5
myndgone
..... kLaSSe~1 .....

Send a message via MSN to myndgone
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36chick
i dont care for political correctness. if something has to be said, it has to be said. all this tip-toeing around subjects is the reason why society has half the taboos and stereotypes that it does.
i couldn't have said it better myself!
myndgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:14 PM   #6
Raging Lamb
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36chick
Can you name a taboo you wish didn't exist?
Old 04-27-2005, 03:02 PM   #7
///m powered
dodging pylons

Send a message via AIM to ///m powered Send a message via MSN to ///m powered
I don't mind, because I'm always right....

haha
Old 04-27-2005, 03:17 PM   #8
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Not at all.

I speak my heart, and if you don't like it or can't handle it, I couldn't care less cuz you're a weak human being. It feels go good to just say whatever I feel like saying to someone. It really relaxes me deep down inside when I am honest and straight up.

Our society is full of pussies that are too afraid to say anything that they REALLY want to say so they beat around the bush and try and make it sound good when saying something. Then if you tell someone something straight up they get all mad or they try and distance themselves away from you like you are a bad person or they try and fight you cuz they can't handle you being straight up. Little girls!

Our society needs to change their panties to boxers. You won't get anywhere in life by beating around the bush. You'll just be fooling yourself.

MY ENGINE SWAP: HERE!

Life Is A Tough Teacher, It Gives You The Test Then The Lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
just do it once, do it right.
Mitch555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 03:40 PM   #9
Furious
BMW again.

i have to agree somewhat with lamb on this, i speak my mind as much as anyone does, but a certain times and to certain people you have to watch what you say
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:47 PM   #10
maxx318i
BMW Individual

Send a message via ICQ to maxx318i Send a message via MSN to maxx318i
it depends on the situation.
Sometimes you have to keep your mouth shut.
Sometimes you can speak your heart.
"Political Correctness"..... should be used, you earn your respect that way.
But it's not necessarry, but makes you look fantastic in front of other people.

If I'm in a circle of my friends, I don't give a shiat what I say.
When I'm in court fighting my speeding ticket (which I won by the way), i have to be politically correct.

EDIT: I just read what Furios said, agreed.

SAFETY BY EDUCATION, NOT SPEED ENFORCEMENT
maxx318i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:29 AM   #11
e36chick
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to e36chick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Lamb
Can you name a taboo you wish didn't exist?
Sure. As an example, from working in the social services field, I've seen this one come up a lot. In the case of people that are handicapped, or disabled, technically you are not supposed to use those words when describing them. You're supposed to say "Differently abled" to be politically correct. As a result of not being allowed to say the true words, if you imply that someone else cannot do something due to their handicap, it is frowned upon if you do not phrase it in a politically correct way. Example:

If I as a youth counselor am working with a kid with dyslexia, and let's say I am helping him with homework. Let's say he has some reading to do, and it's not easy reading for his level. For me to say, "You're going to have trouble reading this, because of your dyslexia. So let's just read it slowly, and not get frustrated." would be completely unacceptable, because I labelled the handicap. What is politically correct to say is, "You're a great reader! Let's try reading this, and if you get frustrated, let's slow down."

Usually, political correctness completely bypasses the real issue. I think if we can address the real issue, it's less damaging in the long run.

Another taboo I've noticed, and really dont agree with, is not telling Canadian kids the truth about what goes on in the rest of the world. Example: Newscast comes on about let's say, a bombing that killed children in Africa. Parents here? Turn off the TV, or change the channel. I understand about protecting innocence, but I think global awareness is REALLY important today. If we want a future where our kids who have it all, as compared to other parts of the world, can make a difference, we need to start telling them the truth about what is out there. A few weeks ago I heard this part of a program on CFRB 1010, with Paul and Carol Mott. Not sure if anyone else heard this...but they were discussing an incident where the UN (maybe a smaller agency, i dont remember exactly) has this media ad they want to broadcast here in Canada, to create awareness of landmines. So the ad shows a bunch of Canadian kids and parents, all heading to the local soccer park, to play a game. Lots of laughing, joking around and sounds like a fun game. Mid-game, one kid steps on a landmine, and it explodes. Then the sounds change to screaming, crying and chaos. Then comes the catchline, something like, "What if this happened to your kids?" and then gives information about the landmine removal efforts in Africa and Asia.
So Paul and Carol have a huge uproar, and said, "Oh my god!! What kind of ad is that. Our kids will never want to play soccer again!!!"

The general response they got from the public was much the same. Let the problems elsewhere, stay there. Leave our kids alone, what do they have to do with it?

If there were no taboos on subjects like this, a lot more could be done to help overseas efforts. Living inside a bubble may be comfortable for those in it, but what about everyone else?

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to explain myself properly.
e36chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:38 AM   #12
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I can think of some people who are willing to speak their minds on message boards, but put them in front of real people (imagine the nerve!) and they'll keep eerily quiet.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:47 AM   #13
Bob Loblaw
Zee Frog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
I can think of some people who are willing to speak their minds on message boards, but put them in front of real people (imagine the nerve!) and they'll keep eerily quiet.
And that's just sad. That's the pure definition of "hypocrite".

I think the line between political correctness and basic respect for others has unfortunately been blurred. If something needs to be said, it should be said. On the other hand, there is no need to be disrespectful at the same time. It only diminishes the value of the argument and breeds more disrespect.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:50 PM   #14
OILERS
2nd Gear Member

the one that bothers me the most is Season greetings or happy holidays. when it's Christmas time and someone says season's greetings or happy holidays i always reply with Merry Christmas.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:16 PM   #15
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILERS
the one that bothers me the most is Season greetings or happy holidays. when it's Christmas time and someone says season's greetings or happy holidays i always reply with Merry Christmas.
That is the one that pisses me off the most too. ****, it's Christmas time, if you don't like it, get your ass back to work.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: