Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-24-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

SRT4 vs 325Is

SRT4 vs 325Is

So here we are on Saturday 325isBeamer and me trying to get the M3 on the road for the May 1st autocross. I needed to have another vehicle to copy the routing of the mass wiring and vacuum hoses. After 6 hours and much appreciated help from 325isBeamer more was accomplished then I ever hoped for. We would have completed the car by end of the day, however due to missing manifold bolts we could not finish. 325isBeamer decided to leave and go back to the shop to install new shocks on his 325Is.
Sunday morning Iím sitting in my bedroom which is located at the back of the house I hear rumbling of a exhaust note, thinking thatís it is my buddy coming over to install some parts on his Blue 2004 SRT4. To my surprise there was 325isBeamer, he installed his new shocks and decided that a test ride was in order. The car had a nice firm ride I was quite pleased.
By the time the ride was over my friend was at my house and after lunch we decided to go to 325isBeamer shop and change the sway bars, shift lever and a few other miscellanies parts. However no engine performance parts were installed to enhance the power output of the engine, bummer. Of course anyone knows after mod installs a test drive is in order. 325isBeamer decided to follow us in the BMW; well we all know what that means.
As we approached the S bend on the service road @120kmh the car was being pushed past the limit of the suspension, with a few hard inputs on the wheel the car remained in itís lane and came out of the corner with a big smile on my face and horrid look on my friends. Looking in the rear view mirror and there is 325isBeamer. Down on power but those new shocks kept him close to the SRT4. Slowing down to 40-50Kmh 325isBeamer pulls up on my left. I shift the SRT4 into second gear and very pleased how firm the shifts are with the new install. Iím looking to my left unfamiliar with the cabin of this ďmy thoughts interrupted withĒ Honk, Honk, Honk the 325IS jumps forward a foot or two. WOT the SRT4 jumps to life itís turbo spooling high boost as it starts to pass the 325Is. 4500,5000,6000Rpm shift into third, the 325Is no longer to my left it has fallen two or three cars directly behind me. 5000, 5500, 6000Rpm shift into fourth, glance into my rear view mirror 325isBeamer is now 15 to 20 cars behind. My passenger yelling out what the F*** he is still there, as we approach the 160Kmh speed I glance in the rearview mirror and to my surprise there was the 325Is it hasnít lost any more ground to the almighty SRT4. We shut it down and continue down the service road.
As we turned into a parking lot we decided to head back and a decision was made to start from a dead stop. Now Iím thinking Iím not familiar with the SRT4 on itís launch from a dead stop, however no matter how bad I loose the almighty SRT4 will gain any ground rather quickly. With my window rolled down I hear the 352Is revving his engine, I bring the SRT4ís RPMís to 1500. Honk, Honk, Honk both cars jump forward, Chit this is no good bad wheel hop and I mean bad, I can smell the 325Is exhaust, This is no good I yelled out to my friend, shift into second massive bog, no more of the horrid wheel hop.
I set my goals into passing the 325Is I cannot loose. 6000Rpm shift into third Iím passing the 325Is, at end of third I have at least 6 car lengths. Speedo reading 160, 170, 180 my passenger yelling out he is still there. 190, 200 glance in my rearview the SRT4 disappearing act is no more the BMW held itís own over 160Kmh. 210, 220 I shut her down, pleased with how the BMW 325Is held itís ground at higher speeds.
Oh I forgot to mention before the mods I raced the SRT4 in one certain black car and got raped but bad. No it was not my 540i since it is still getting the hood re-painted, but we will not go there.
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:40 PM   #2
rodo
6th Gear Member

ahahah very nice, i have to go somewhere but i couldn't help but read your post thanks to you im going to be late and I can't pull an srt4 vs 325is down lakeshore road

2010 Expedition

Objects in mirror are farther than they appear Only in a BMW

rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
rico328i
5th Gear Member

shocks

What kind of shocks did you 325isBeamer install? I have a feeling that I'll be in the market for some newer suspension components. I was holding me back this weekend at Shannonville! SRT-4 vs 325is? Shouldn't even be close I assumed.....
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:41 PM   #4
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico328i
What kind of shocks did you 325isBeamer install? I have a feeling that I'll be in the market for some newer suspension components. I was holding me back this weekend at Shannonville! SRT-4 vs 325is? Shouldn't even be close I assumed.....
I can't remember.
You were at Shannonville? How did you do.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
rico328i
5th Gear Member

Well it rained ALL DAY. but that did not stop us from having an incredible time sliding the cars around - in a CONTROLLED fashion of course! We ran the Nelson and Pro Track. I'm definitely signing up again! Guess since there was rain, we saved on tire wear. I think I did fairly well. As the laps went by, you get a better feel for the track. So, it's better, and better, each time. Well almost. Once you nail a certain turn, you're screwed on the next one, because you're on a different line. All in all - one word = FANTASTIC outing! YOu have to come to the next one. That's why I want better suspension. I think I could have done better with it. Still the most important upgrade I'm concentrating on is the pilot - moi!
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:38 PM   #6
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

Send a message via MSN to 325iSBimmer
Great description of a automotive filled weekend.

Damn that Neon on steriods is one quick machine.

Im running Bilstein sport shocks all the way around with Suspension Techniques Sport springs (1.5 drop) and urethane/aluminum rear shock mounts and some some nice 245 width tires in the back. and lets not forget the LSD as far as engine mods. just a MarkD chip, intake, H-pipe with Magnaflow exhaust, and fan delete

that right there combined with the RWD drive advantage and the fact that Darko hadn't done a stoped launch in the SRT yet is what gave me the advantage through first gear (plus I actually nailed the launch. perfect tire spin with the tach stuck on 6000RPM and then climbing once the tires hooked up to 6750 RPM and into second at about 4500 RPM) but as I knew would happen the SRT-4 walked past me at about 20 km/h faster after recovering from the ever horid wheel hop of the FWD turbo. But like Darko said after about 160 I didnt lose much if any ground. didnt help that im no where near as experienced a driver at high speeds as Darko and I was a little hesitant in 5th gear at about 220 but he was shutting it down anyways.

if the SRT had nailed a perfect launch there would have been much more space between us as that car will walk away from me at any speed below 160.

overall fun was had and I cant wait for the 540 VS SRT or even better yet the anhilation that the M3 will hand out
Old 04-25-2005, 12:10 AM   #7
m3polack
3rd Gear Member

SRT-4s can take a stock M3, they DYNO in around 230whp.. let alone a 325 is nothing.

You suck at driving
m3polack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:29 AM   #8
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

i hope ur kidding about him sucking at driving...

pssst...he has more than 2800cc of 2 wheeled terrors and 2 cars with the combined Hp of 900 and that doesnt include the E350...

and sure the SRT dynos in at 230 hp but its getting pulled along for the ride.
plus the bastard wheel hop issue its hard from a stand still to pull on anything with soem decent RWD HP. but as soon as it gets out of frist gear its all over for the soon to be frowning RWD 325is driver.
I knew I was going to be eaten alive. just how bad was what we were trying to determine. and I think all were surprised. (including myself) and how not too bad the BMW did.

Last edited by 325iSBimmer; 04-25-2005 at 12:32 AM.
325iSBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:36 AM   #9
m3polack
3rd Gear Member

Im sure hes a good driver! but he'd have to get more acquainted w/the SRT-4 to maximize the potential, just like you were saying in 1st gear w/wheel hop...

FWD cars are hard to launch, i know! I usually hold em @ high RPMS and feather the clutch to reduce wheelspin..

its all gravy baby
m3polack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:39 AM   #10
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

i hear ya. yeah..ur 100% right. I think that was his first launch in that car from a standstill. that day at least. I cant get a FWD car to launch if my life depended on it.
but thats cause im used to the method in my car. as the RPMS climb to 3500 I DUMP the clutch and for some reason there is the perfect amount of clutch slip and tire spin to get me out of the hole with the tach reading about5700-6000..
Old 04-25-2005, 01:37 AM   #11
itsnoneon
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness95m3
SRT4 vs 325Is

So here we are on Saturday 325isBeamer and me trying to get the M3 on the road for the May 1st autocross. I needed to have another vehicle to copy the routing of the mass wiring and vacuum hoses. After 6 hours and much appreciated help from 325isBeamer more was accomplished then I ever hoped for. We would have completed the car by end of the day, however due to missing manifold bolts we could not finish. 325isBeamer decided to leave and go back to the shop to install new shocks on his 325Is.
Sunday morning Iím sitting in my bedroom which is located at the back of the house I hear rumbling of a exhaust note, thinking thatís it is my buddy coming over to install some parts on his Blue 2004 SRT4. To my surprise there was 325isBeamer, he installed his new shocks and decided that a test ride was in order. The car had a nice firm ride I was quite pleased.
By the time the ride was over my friend was at my house and after lunch we decided to go to 325isBeamer shop and change the sway bars, shift lever and a few other miscellanies parts. However no engine performance parts were installed to enhance the power output of the engine, bummer. Of course anyone knows after mod installs a test drive is in order. 325isBeamer decided to follow us in the BMW; well we all know what that means.
As we approached the S bend on the service road @120kmh the car was being pushed past the limit of the suspension, with a few hard inputs on the wheel the car remained in itís lane and came out of the corner with a big smile on my face and horrid look on my friends. Looking in the rear view mirror and there is 325isBeamer. Down on power but those new shocks kept him close to the SRT4. Slowing down to 40-50Kmh 325isBeamer pulls up on my left. I shift the SRT4 into second gear and very pleased how firm the shifts are with the new install. Iím looking to my left unfamiliar with the cabin of this ďmy thoughts interrupted withĒ Honk, Honk, Honk the 325IS jumps forward a foot or two. WOT the SRT4 jumps to life itís turbo spooling high boost as it starts to pass the 325Is. 4500,5000,6000Rpm shift into third, the 325Is no longer to my left it has fallen two or three cars directly behind me. 5000, 5500, 6000Rpm shift into fourth, glance into my rear view mirror 325isBeamer is now 15 to 20 cars behind. My passenger yelling out what the F*** he is still there, as we approach the 160Kmh speed I glance in the rearview mirror and to my surprise there was the 325Is it hasnít lost any more ground to the almighty SRT4. We shut it down and continue down the service road.
As we turned into a parking lot we decided to head back and a decision was made to start from a dead stop. Now Iím thinking Iím not familiar with the SRT4 on itís launch from a dead stop, however no matter how bad I loose the almighty SRT4 will gain any ground rather quickly. With my window rolled down I hear the 352Is revving his engine, I bring the SRT4ís RPMís to 1500. Honk, Honk, Honk both cars jump forward, Chit this is no good bad wheel hop and I mean bad, I can smell the 325Is exhaust, This is no good I yelled out to my friend, shift into second massive bog, no more of the horrid wheel hop.
I set my goals into passing the 325Is I cannot loose. 6000Rpm shift into third Iím passing the 325Is, at end of third I have at least 6 car lengths. Speedo reading 160, 170, 180 my passenger yelling out he is still there. 190, 200 glance in my rearview the SRT4 disappearing act is no more the BMW held itís own over 160Kmh. 210, 220 I shut her down, pleased with how the BMW 325Is held itís ground at higher speeds.
Oh I forgot to mention before the mods I raced the SRT4 in one certain black car and got raped but bad. No it was not my 540i since it is still getting the hood re-painted, but we will not go there.
buddy BMW does not mean fastest car out there
i am sorry to inform you of that
i am from the area bring out your 540 or this 325 !!!!
have you ever bin bus length by a NEON?
itsnoneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:39 AM   #12
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3polack
SRT-4s can take a stock M3, they DYNO in around 230whp.. let alone a 325 is nothing.

You suck at driving

they dont dyno @ 230whp
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:58 AM   #13
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnoneon
I never said that BMWís are the fastest cars, however since you mentioned that, the worlds fastest and best sports car for the past 15 years is powered by the BMW M Power. Go figure 15 year old car and Chrysler has nothing that would even come close.
Just so everyone knows that was my first time launching the car from a dead stop. I knew I was going to loose from a dead stop. How hard is it to drive a car past second gear. I was even power shifting 2-3-4 and the 325Is was loosing little ground if any after 4th gear. Even the owner of the SRT4 could not believe that the 325Is was still there. Too me it seems that the SRT4 runs out of steam after 160 -180Kmh. Sorry to tell you when I raced the SRT4 I was close to 260Kmh before shifting into 6th gear with my 540i. The car was still pulling hard however driving my friends SRT4 it did not have that pull. This could be a wrong conclusion from me, each car feels different. From the SRT4 over 140Kmh lots of wind noise and not to mention that annoying exhaust tone, while the cabin of the 540i you could still hear a pin drop at 270Km.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:00 AM   #14
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnoneon
I will give you a shout, we can go your car against my 10 year old car which just happens to be a BMW. Even better why dont you come out with us to the track and see how we all do Cayuga or road course. I think it would be fun for everyone.

Last edited by Darkness95m3; 04-25-2005 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:04 AM   #15
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3polack
Im sure hes a good driver! but he'd have to get more acquainted w/the SRT-4 to maximize the potential, just like you were saying in 1st gear w/wheel hop...

FWD cars are hard to launch, i know! I usually hold em @ high RPMS and feather the clutch to reduce wheelspin..

its all gravy baby
I sucked.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: