Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-15-2005, 08:17 PM   #46
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

bump should be made a sticky.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #47
rayman
2nd Gear Member

beating a dead horse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTY SIXER View Post
DON' CUT ANY WIRES UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO RECONNECT THEM AGAIN..
(properly) sw. means switch

drop the driver dash down. now at the dimmer sw. test the wire that is 12v-it is not gray/red- when you turn the headlite sw. on, play with the dimmer cont. that wire should stay at 12v. cut it, this wire turns on the dimmer cont.. Behind the glove box, the relays for the parking lites are there.
there should be two grey/yellow wires which turn on the relays, cut one, the relay will CLICK OFF (if not reconnect it), the left or right parking lites will go out, then that is the correct wire, do it again for the other relay. you have just found the relay triggers. take out headlite sw., with car off, turn on the first click of the headlite sw. (which turned on the parking lites b4), one wire should give you 12v. that wire is the one you will use to trigger the relays behind glove, and the dimmer sw. (which you cut at first). when you run the wires, do it carefully, and follow the path of the bmw wires, you dont want wires everywhere, remember NEATNESS COUNTS, you should care about your car and the quality of work done to it. now the headlites. fuse box under hood, there you will find the headlite relay. you must get underneath the relay and find the wire that triggers it. it will read 12v when ign. is on. might be geen/yellow. cut it. the relay should CLICK OFF, if it doesnt, reconnect it. now at the headlite sw., test for the wire that gives you 12v when you turn on the headlit sw. all the way, (do this with ign. on), that is the wire which you will run thru the fuse box to the headlite relay. now that i think about it, it mite sound like alot, but thats how it is, some of you, can do it....
i generally charge $90 to do it...
I know this is a VERY old thread but it looks like the best solution I've seen to eliminate DRLs on the 93-95 e36. Since I have HIDs on the way, I decided to dig up this thread and break it down into pieces so that it is easier to follow.
If anyone else has tried DIRTY SIXER's solution or better yet, if DIRTY SIXER himself can comment on whether my understanding is correct, I'd appreciate it. Here it is:

At the dimmer switch
  • find the wire that is constant 12v (it is not gray/red).
  • with the headlight switch on, the dimmer control should not affect the voltage.
  • cut this wire.

Find parking light relay behind the glove box
  • turn on headlight switch to position 1 (one click clockwise).
  • locate two grey/yellow wires which turn on the relays.
  • cut one, the relay will CLICK OFF (if not reconnect it), the left or right parking lights will go out, then that is the correct wire, do it again for the other relay. You have just found the relay triggers.

Remove headlight switch
  • with car off, turn headlight switch to the first click (which turned on the parking lights before).
  • find wire that is 12v. That wire is the one you will use to trigger the relays behind glove, and the dimmer switch (which you cut at first).
  • run wire from the headlight switch to dimmer switch.
  • run wires from the headlight switch to glovebox relays.

Fuse box under hood
  • find the headlight relay.
  • get underneath the relay and find the wire that triggers it. it will read 12v when ignition is on. It might be green/yellow.
  • cut it. The relay should CLICK OFF, if it doesn’t, reconnect it.

Now at the headlight switch
  • with ignition on, find wire that is 12v when the headlight switch is on position 2 (full clockwise).
  • turn off ignition and run this wire to the fuse box to the headlight relay.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp e36 Canadian DRL delete.bmp (208.0 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by rayman; 05-19-2008 at 04:46 PM.
rayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:22 PM   #48
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

Damn.. Now a solution comes up, after I get a 96... Great writeup!!

I feel so old. I don't even remember all my posts in this thread...

Last edited by ClayMan; 05-19-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: i feel old.
ClayMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:38 PM   #49
rayman
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayMan View Post
Damn.. Now a solution comes up, after I get a 96... Great writeup!!

I feel so old. I don't even remember all my posts in this thread...
Please don't give me the credit for a solution...that was Dirty Sixer. I'm just trying to paraphrase his write-up to make it a little easier to follow.
rayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:50 PM   #50
mva
1st Gear Newbie

I am a new owner of a canadian 2000 Z3M which seems to have the same light setup as these 93-95 3 series cars. The low beams, interior lights and marker lights are on as soon as the car is started. What a PITA.

Mike
mva is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: