Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-23-2005, 11:24 AM   #31
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTY SIXER
DON' CUT ANY WIRES UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO RECONNECT THEM AGAIN..
(properly) sw. means switch

drop the driver dash down. now at the dimmer sw. test the wire that is 12v-it is not gray/red- when you turn the headlite sw. on, play with the dimmer cont. that wire should stay at 12v. cut it, this wire turns on the dimmer cont.. Behind the glove box, the relays for the parking lites are there.
there should be two grey/yellow wires which turn on the relays, cut one, the relay will CLICK OFF (if not reconnect it), the left or right parking lites will go out, then that is the correct wire, do it again for the other relay. you have just found the relay triggers. take out headlite sw., with car off, turn on the first click of the headlite sw. (which turned on the parking lites b4), one wire should give you 12v. that wire is the one you will use to trigger the relays behind glove, and the dimmer sw. (which you cut at first). when you run the wires, do it carefully, and follow the path of the bmw wires, you dont want wires everywhere, remember NEATNESS COUNTS, you should care about your car and the quality of work done to it. now the headlites. fuse box under hood, there you will find the headlite relay. you must get underneath the relay and find the wire that triggers it. it will read 12v when ign. is on. might be geen/yellow. cut it. the relay should CLICK OFF, if it doesnt, reconnect it. now at the headlite sw., test for the wire that gives you 12v when you turn on the headlit sw. all the way, (do this with ign. on), that is the wire which you will run thru the fuse box to the headlite relay. now that i think about it, it mite sound like alot, but thats how it is, some of you, can do it....
i generally charge $90 to do it...
Thanks alot. if it was less i would have pay you to do it, but at 90 bucks, i would rather have a switch made and wire it to fuse 25 to control the light. this is much simpler and easier job.

Last edited by mpower1226; 04-23-2005 at 11:26 AM.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 12:43 PM   #32
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

Hey, thanks for the help dirty_sixer. I'm just curious, what year of E36s have you done this mod to? Besides your '93. Was it the same procedure? And how much of your dash did you have to rip out? (glovebox for sure)...

I was thinking about doing the same thing (rewiring the relay triggers), but following the diagrams, I couldn't figure out the odd behaviour with the fuse 25 disconnected, so I was worried that the Bentleys were incorrect...

Last edited by ClayMan; 04-23-2005 at 12:52 PM.
ClayMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:28 PM   #33
DIRTY SIXER
1st Gear Newbie

not sure exactly which years this goes upto, but as long as all the lites come on with ign., this procedure will work.
dont worry about fuse 25. leave all the fuses intact.

basic review...
the output of the hdlite sw. on the first click will trigger the parking lite relays and the dimmer sw.

the output of the hdlite sw. on the second click will trigger the hdlite relay in the fusebox.

this way its normally functioning hdlite sw.

in this situation though, the headlites (the second click of the sw.) will work only with the ign. on, which i think is acceptable to most of us...
DIRTY SIXER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:29 PM   #34
Antz_Marchin
4th Gear Member

Ok, but the US spec relay should be fine for mine as it's a '96 and the fact that all 1996's started off as US spec cars...Right? Dirty Sixer, thanks alot for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower1226
as stated above, us spec relay will NOT work with model year 93~95.
only the later model will work. only choice is like above, either you get the switch and wire it, or wire it to oem switch.
Antz_Marchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 02:50 PM   #35
BRAD 82
5th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to BRAD 82
Quote:
not sure exactly which years this goes upto, but as long as all the lites come on with ign., this procedure will work.
dont worry about fuse 25. leave all the fuses intact.

basic review...
the output of the hdlite sw. on the first click will trigger the parking lite relays and the dimmer sw.

the output of the hdlite sw. on the second click will trigger the hdlite relay in the fusebox.

this way its normally functioning hdlite sw.

in this situation though, the headlites (the second click of the sw.) will work only with the ign. on, which i think is acceptable to most of us...
ya if i was to do this your way i would be charging $90 as well...
that is way too complicated for most people and to long and drawn out. it is so much easier to just wire a switch into the console and yank the fuse and replace the fuse with wires.
but it is nice to see the use of the oem switch that is just to much work for me to bother.
what shop do you work at?
BRAD 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 03:52 PM   #36
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

DIRTY SIXER

Got pics?

sounds like a PITA but i like how it would be left stock..
Also fuses in a circuit are the weak point adding a larger
fuse to any circuit or removing the fuse makes the wiring
the weak point...

im sure that no ones ran into troubles with the fuse removed though!
on stock lighting..
Old 04-24-2005, 01:50 PM   #37
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

I just read this again, and I was pondering over how you used the wire that's hot in the first click position to trigger the parking light relays as well as the interior dimmer...

So is that wire still powered in the second click? I'm just wondering why you don't have to wire the pk lights and the interior lights to the second click as well... (Headlights position)

Quote:
DON' CUT ANY WIRES UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO RECONNECT THEM AGAIN..
(properly) sw. means switch

drop the driver dash down. now at the dimmer sw. test the wire that is 12v-it is not gray/red- when you turn the headlite sw. on, play with the dimmer cont. that wire should stay at 12v. cut it, this wire turns on the dimmer cont.. Behind the glove box, the relays for the parking lites are there.
there should be two grey/yellow wires which turn on the relays, cut one, the relay will CLICK OFF (if not reconnect it), the left or right parking lites will go out, then that is the correct wire, do it again for the other relay. you have just found the relay triggers. take out headlite sw., with car off, turn on the first click of the headlite sw. (which turned on the parking lites b4), one wire should give you 12v. that wire is the one you will use to trigger the relays behind glove, and the dimmer sw. (which you cut at first). when you run the wires, do it carefully, and follow the path of the bmw wires, you dont want wires everywhere, remember NEATNESS COUNTS, you should care about your car and the quality of work done to it. now the headlites. fuse box under hood, there you will find the headlite relay. you must get underneath the relay and find the wire that triggers it. it will read 12v when ign. is on. might be geen/yellow. cut it. the relay should CLICK OFF, if it doesnt, reconnect it. now at the headlite sw., test for the wire that gives you 12v when you turn on the headlit sw. all the way, (do this with ign. on), that is the wire which you will run thru the fuse box to the headlite relay. now that i think about it, it mite sound like alot, but thats how it is, some of you, can do it....
i generally charge $90 to do it...
Old 04-24-2005, 02:25 PM   #38
Antz_Marchin
4th Gear Member

Well it just dawned on my that I don't need the DRL module and I do need this wiring fix like you guys even though my car is a 96. The reason being is that the 96 M3 was never Canadian-prepped out of the shop and had to be done by the US dealer sending it to Canada which means like someone said earlier, some quick wiring to meet regulations. I have full time lows.....not less intense highs. Man this is pissing me off. I'm sure that it's a common procedure for them, and wouldn't take them more than a half an hour ($50) anybody think the $tealer would just unwire these lights??

P.S.....think link isn't working
http://www.geocities.com/claycar-zi...ianLighting.zip

Last edited by Antz_Marchin; 04-24-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Antz_Marchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 03:54 PM   #39
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

http://www.geocities.com/claycar-zin...anLighting.zip

Right click and copy shorcut.
then open in a new window.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:23 AM   #40
DIRTY SIXER
1st Gear Newbie

YES, the pk lites will work on the second click as well, just like a normal hdlite sw.

THE shop is safe and sound installations in scar. 4-757-7233.

NO, the stealership do not have a quick wire unfix for the drl on the '96 M3.
it must be done like the way i posted, or the fuse 25 way...

NOW the fuse 25 way will work, but you must do it properly, the correct wire gauge, the right length, the rite connectors, and so on.

if you dont mind having another sw.,then do it that way,
if you wanna use stock oem sw, then the hardwire way...
Old 04-25-2005, 10:26 AM   #41
DIRTY SIXER
1st Gear Newbie

sorry i have no pictures.

but if you get out of my attic, i mite have some
for u. hehe
Old 05-03-2005, 09:18 AM   #42
DIRTY SIXER
1st Gear Newbie

no one is posting anymore about the drls?

looks like i mite have upset some of u.????

or maybe we will all continue later,,,
Old 05-03-2005, 04:22 PM   #43
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

Quote:
no one is posting anymore about the drls?

looks like i mite have upset some of u.????

or maybe we will all continue later,,,

well, whats the best price you could give us. Im sure if you give us good deals, I know some of the members on board are willing to get it done.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 06:54 PM   #44
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Quote:
sorry i have no pictures.

but if you get out of my attic, i mite have some
for u. hehe
-scurries away to another corner of your attic to hide in

Old 06-04-2005, 07:58 PM   #45
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower1226
well, whats the best price you could give us. Im sure if you give us good deals, I know some of the members on board are willing to get it done.
Man, it's $90 for a pretty decent amount of labour, and when that shop is done with the car the wiring will look neater and be safer than any member on this board could do themselves.

@stancejay
Mystikal is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: