Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-22-2005, 03:24 PM   #16
Antz_Marchin
4th Gear Member

I think I just figured it out. Those small high beam DRLs are for Canadian/Euro spec cars, and not US. They only made US spec M3s over here in 1996 (which mine is) therefore none of them had those small DRLS. I suspect that they had to wire the lows to run consistently in place of this missing small bulb inorder to meet spec for crossing the border. Does this make sense at all??
Antz_Marchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:14 PM   #17
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

oh OK, that would make sense then... Who knows what they did (or hack) to meet Canada's DRL laws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antz_Marchin
I think I just figured it out. Those small high beam DRLs are for Canadian/Euro spec cars, and not US. They only made US spec M3s over here in 1996 (which mine is) therefore none of them had those small DRLS. I suspect that they had to wire the lows to run consistently in place of this missing small bulb inorder to meet spec for crossing the border. Does this make sense at all??
ClayMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:39 PM   #18
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

I feel like I'm going on one of those one-thing-leads-to-another adventures, and before I know it, my whole electrical system is gonna be messed up... hehe

I just pulled fuse 25. It's hooked up to a little more than the low beams...

With the headlight switch in the off position, everything's off now. No low beams, no parking lights, no dash lights. Fogs don't work (as usual). High beam flash still works.

In the parking lights position, interior lights come on, parking lights come on, fogs work. Low beams still don't work (as expected). High beam flash works.

Here's the kicker though - in headlights mode, everything turns off again, as in the off position.

Now I'm unsure whether I should follow the 1994 diagrams or the 1993 (because I have a model year '94 325is, but the production is 11/93) ...
Old 04-22-2005, 06:24 PM   #19
Antz_Marchin
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayMan
oh OK, that would make sense then... Who knows what they did (or hack) to meet Canada's DRL laws...
Don't think it would have been a hack job, the dealer did it. Apparently it could just be another relay to keep these on but I need to find it. I hear that it's programmed in the E46 cars and you can get the stealer to re-program. Not sure if they would program that before sending it over or wire/relay something in. I'm suspectiong the latter.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:55 PM   #20
BRAD 82
5th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to BRAD 82
clay where in toronto are you cuz mmaybe we could meet up and i will show you what i do...
pm me if you want
BRAD 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:13 PM   #21
JUS_CRZN
My other car's a jet.

Drls

I dont know if this will help, but I have A 98 e36 with ZKWS and I eliminated
the DRLs by replacing the CDN DRL relay with a US spec relay. Easy job it took
about 20min $40 for the relay. It also did not afect my OBC.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:47 PM   #22
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

Yup... On 96+ cars it's as easy as replacing a relay. (Your DRLs were different than on 92-94s... You only had high beams running on low voltage... We have low beams, parking lights, and dash lights... everything)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUS_CRZN
Old 04-22-2005, 11:19 PM   #23
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

Yeah, I'd love to check out what you did.

I just went through all the diagrams I posted and I cannot figure out what causes the difference between the parking lights (2nd) position and the headlights position (3rd) with fuse 25 pulled. They're always wired together! Except for the to the high beam switch, for the high beam hold function.

Still doesn't explain why everything is on in the 2nd position but off in the 3rd... Dammit, who contrived this ingenious wiring... Can anyone else shed some light on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD 82
clay where in toronto are you cuz mmaybe we could meet up and i will show you what i do...
pm me if you want
Old 04-23-2005, 01:51 AM   #24
Antz_Marchin
4th Gear Member

Now we're talking....."don't know if this will help"?.....this is gold. Thanks man, exactly what I was looking for. Can you give me the details on this: 1) before swapping relays, did you basically have low beams on EVERY setting on the dial? 2) do you have a part # for the US relay, location in the fuse box 3) Is this what's happening for you now...position 1 (off) - nothing lights up, position 2 - fogs work, parking lights (and DDEs if you have them) position 3 - low beams on, fogs work, parking lights and DDEs Thanks very much. -BJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUS_CRZN
Old 04-23-2005, 01:55 AM   #25
Antz_Marchin
4th Gear Member

Ok, lets make this even more fun. How tough would it be to get the settings I mentioned above:1)everything off, 2)fogs work/Parking lights/DDEs 3) low beams + setting 2......but to throw a swith to toggle the DDEs into the mix. This way when I'm on position 3 during nightime highway driving or whatnot with the lows on (or highs on the rural areas) I can toggle the DDEs on and off with the switch wired into the cabin????
Old 04-23-2005, 03:25 AM   #26
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

as stated above, us spec relay will NOT work with model year 93~95.
only the later model will work. only choice is like above, either you get the switch and wire it, or wire it to oem switch.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:39 AM   #27
DIRTY SIXER
1st Gear Newbie

HI EVERYONE...

mr. ANTZ MARCHIN. and anyone else who belongs in this category:

when you turn on ignition and all lites( low beams, parking lites and dimmer lites) come on, there is a solution to get rid of that.

i have hid's on my '93 318 is... i have full control of all my lites. during the day, nothing is on, and at nite, i use my headlite switch as i please...

bottom line--------- you are the boss of your lites.

this category has relays for all the lites, and when ign. is on, all the relays turn on. if you get the problem fixed, your oem switch will control these relays...

i have my own shop and can do this no problem, and i'll share the way to do it. but you need some knowledge and a multimeter...
DIRTY SIXER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:09 AM   #28
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTY SIXER
HI EVERYONE...

mr. ANTZ MARCHIN. and anyone else who belongs in this category:

when you turn on ignition and all lites( low beams, parking lites and dimmer lites) come on, there is a solution to get rid of that.

i have hid's on my '93 318 is... i have full control of all my lites. during the day, nothing is on, and at nite, i use my headlite switch as i please...

bottom line--------- you are the boss of your lites.

this category has relays for all the lites, and when ign. is on, all the relays turn on. if you get the problem fixed, your oem switch will control these relays...

i have my own shop and can do this no problem, and i'll share the way to do it. but you need some knowledge and a multimeter...
so tell us the solution.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:15 AM   #29
DIRTY SIXER
1st Gear Newbie

DON' CUT ANY WIRES UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO RECONNECT THEM AGAIN..
(properly) sw. means switch

drop the driver dash down. now at the dimmer sw. test the wire that is 12v-it is not gray/red- when you turn the headlite sw. on, play with the dimmer cont. that wire should stay at 12v. cut it, this wire turns on the dimmer cont.. Behind the glove box, the relays for the parking lites are there.
there should be two grey/yellow wires which turn on the relays, cut one, the relay will CLICK OFF (if not reconnect it), the left or right parking lites will go out, then that is the correct wire, do it again for the other relay. you have just found the relay triggers. take out headlite sw., with car off, turn on the first click of the headlite sw. (which turned on the parking lites b4), one wire should give you 12v. that wire is the one you will use to trigger the relays behind glove, and the dimmer sw. (which you cut at first). when you run the wires, do it carefully, and follow the path of the bmw wires, you dont want wires everywhere, remember NEATNESS COUNTS, you should care about your car and the quality of work done to it. now the headlites. fuse box under hood, there you will find the headlite relay. you must get underneath the relay and find the wire that triggers it. it will read 12v when ign. is on. might be geen/yellow. cut it. the relay should CLICK OFF, if it doesnt, reconnect it. now at the headlite sw., test for the wire that gives you 12v when you turn on the headlit sw. all the way, (do this with ign. on), that is the wire which you will run thru the fuse box to the headlite relay. now that i think about it, it mite sound like alot, but thats how it is, some of you, can do it....
i generally charge $90 to do it...
Old 04-23-2005, 11:20 AM   #30
DIRTY SIXER
1st Gear Newbie

sorry for the confusion.'

dont cut wires unless you know how to reconnect them again properly.

sw. means switch...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: