Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-14-2002, 04:56 PM   #1
djc0ntra

Unhappy How can I ship from USA to Canada with no taxes?

I am ordering some new rims off the net from a private seller, but whenever i do this customs or the shipping company charges me up the ass on duties and taxes cause they consider the item a retail item.

How can i avoid this? what do i tell the seller?
I dont feel it's right to have to pay an extra 25% in taxes and duties if it's a used item.

thanks
Old 01-14-2002, 05:21 PM   #2
NickP

The only reliable way that I found of doing it is through using friends in the States, like Rochester or Buffalo or something.

Its kind of like pleasure delay though, you order up a bunch of parts but only get them every 3 months or so. This also works well when ordering tires from tirerack.com.

For me, the customs and taxes isn't the annoying part, its the stupid freaking UPS border fee they charge.
NickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 05:24 PM   #3
djc0ntra

Is that what they do? they charge a border fee?
those rat bastards!!!

What do you mean by friends in the states? What do they do for you? I'm not ordering from a store like tirerack.com so there shouldn't be any taxes. You dont get taxed at a garage sale do you? =)

Maybe i'll just get the guy to deliver it to michigan and then i can go pick thepackage up there?

It's just freakin' retarded cause for example, i ordered ellipsoids from germany for $300CDN shipping included
and when they got to my door, canada post gave me a bill for $114.50!! frig man...
i hate it
Old 01-14-2002, 05:31 PM   #4
NickP

I get my parts delivered to friends who live close to the border and visit them. Then I install or drive back the parts. And yes, if you don't have a receipt they can charge you what they think the parts are worth.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-14-2002, 05:40 PM   #5
djc0ntra

where should i have the sender put the reciept?
on the box itself or inside?

i think that's a cool idea
what if the sender said my rims are worth $100 ? =)
Old 01-14-2002, 05:44 PM   #6
NickP

By "they" I mean the border patrol or whatever they call themselves, not the seller, sorry.

My friend tried that scam but wound up getting taxed on the insured value of the package, so I don't know if your idea will work - unless you're willing to risk underinsuring a parcel, which isn't a risk worth taking.
Old 01-14-2002, 05:49 PM   #7
djc0ntra

Yeah naw, i understand what you meant.

I'm buying these nice chrome 18" rims for $500 from florida off some guy from roadfly.com

I'm going to tell him to put a value of $125 on each box so that customs doesn't think they're $4000 for the whole lot which would be shocking because i'm sure i'd see a hefty bill of $450 or something for delivery in my mailbox =/

I'm assuming now that's what customs did when they saw my headlamps =/
Old 01-14-2002, 05:56 PM   #8
NickP

Cool, good luck!
Old 01-14-2002, 07:06 PM   #9
Lil'Smoothie

Yeah Im sick of getting raped by extra costs. UPS charged me 50 bucks to pick up a pair of shoes once. And customs always charges extra hidden fees, what I do is get the seller to say its a used item and that it is a gift
Old 01-14-2002, 07:11 PM   #10
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
Yeah i'm trying to get the seller to do the same.
I attempted to do that with the ellipsoids, but maybe because of the language barrier (me being english and the seller being german) he didn't know how, or didn't understand.

I hope i can get these wheels without trouble. They're really sweet, and right in my budget range (which is very small seeing as how i should pay off my car first before anything)

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 11:03 AM   #11
Gurl Bmw
2nd Gear Member

U Can also try what I usually do when I pick up parts in Buffalo

I get the shop to make out a fake reciept saying that it is factory

warranty work. You can say that you had to send it to the states

get a warrranty work done... so then they can't charge you

because you didn't pay anything.
Gurl Bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 11:46 AM   #12
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

djcontra,

Here's the scoop..... I've bought so much sh*t from the States, and gotten away with most of it. Here's what I did. I opened up a P.O. Box in Niagara Falls N.Y. (right by the Outlet Mall). That is the mailing address I use. The P.O. box costs nothing if you don't use it. They charge $5.00 to receive a small package, $10.00 for medium, and $15.00 for a large (ie: wheels). Once they get it, you receive a phone call and drive over and pick it up... they charge $5.00/day storage if you take forever.

Now, here's were it gets tricky. I usually install the stuff, or smuggle it across when there's a Buffalo game on that night. Sometimes I wait until I go for a 4 day trip, and when I return I"m allowed to import more value$$$. With wheels, its actually easy. You install them there in the parking lot and ship yourself the stock (dirty, used) steel wheels paying minimal taxes because you label the package as "antique auto parts" (no tax on old sh*t).

It's that easy.

P.S. There are no real performance shop in the Buffalo area, but if you buy coilovers any local Speedy can install them for the drive to Toronto until you get a proper alignment.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 12:41 PM   #13
Bliss
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by empowerd
djcontra,

Here's the scoop..... I've bought so much sh*t from the States, and gotten away with most of it. Here's what I did. I opened up a P.O. Box in Niagara Falls N.Y. (right by the Outlet Mall). That is the mailing address I use. The P.O. box costs nothing if you don't use it. They charge $5.00 to receive a small package, $10.00 for medium, and $15.00 for a large (ie: wheels). Once they get it, you receive a phone call and drive over and pick it up... they charge $5.00/day storage if you take forever.

Now, here's were it gets tricky. I usually install the stuff, or smuggle it across when there's a Buffalo game on that night. Sometimes I wait until I go for a 4 day trip, and when I return I"m allowed to import more value$$$. With wheels, its actually easy. You install them there in the parking lot and ship yourself the stock (dirty, used) steel wheels paying minimal taxes because you label the package as "antique auto parts" (no tax on old sh*t).

It's that easy.

P.S. There are no real performance shop in the Buffalo area, but if you buy coilovers any local Speedy can install them for the drive to Toronto until you get a proper alignment.
of course maxbimmer does not recommend people doing this.

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 01:43 PM   #14
djc0ntra

well the guy and i have decided that he will wrap the rims boxes in birthday wrapping paper and pose it as a gift heheh

he'll include the reciept (made in quick books pro) saying they cost the guy $500 usd
Old 01-15-2002, 04:02 PM   #15
cyc
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to cyc
empowerd, can you give me more info. on the P.O. box?
ie. do i need to go down to the Falls to register for a mailbox?
And is it located besides the outlet mall, the one right after crossing boarder? How often does the custom inspect you car for goods when crossing boarder? Thanks in advance.

I just ordered some rims and bodykit lastnite, ur post comes just right on time

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: