Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-15-2005, 12:26 AM   #1
zed_driver
1st Gear Newbie

E36 M3's from US

I'm shopping for E36 M3's and I've seen about 5 of them so far. Everyone of them is a US car. What's the reason for this? Were they cheaper in the US or are all of these re-builds? Should I stay away from them?
zed_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:29 AM   #2
rico328i
5th Gear Member

reason?

US population is about 280+ million. Canada's, about 32million. Plain numbers....there's a ton more of them down there!! Prices are overall lower too. Good luck on your search. Don't settle for just anything.
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:35 AM   #3
97M3/4
2nd Gear Member

It took me a year to find mine, like everyone will tell you...........maintenance records!!!
Old 04-15-2005, 02:00 AM   #4
Antz_Marchin
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97M3/4
It took me a year to find mine, like everyone will tell you...........maintenance records!!!
EXACTLY.............Searched for mine for about 10 months. Would not settle for anything, mileage, colour, options, even stock LTW rims. Don't rush and try to stick within Canada. US car will cost you duty/15% tax (even on a private sale)/brokerage fee.......and a load of paperwork. Just keep looking and if you're in a rush, ...don't be....you'll shoot yourself in the foot.

Oh yeah...did anybody mention the importance of FULL maintenance ecords?? I have everything, and would have turned it down otherwise from the window sticker--> bill of sale --> oil changes--> new tabs for my floor mats.......Don't comprimise...Getting geared up for the first full summer with mine..........Good Luck.
Antz_Marchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 07:54 AM   #5
///MP
Purveyor of Useless Info

Rico's right, it's a numbers thing. The US market is so much larger so you have way more selection down there. There's a few of us on this board who own and drive originally US vehicles (I have a '97 M3 I brought up from CT). Canadian or US doesn't matter, just make sure you find the right car for you!

MP

PS: If you're thinking of importing, it's not that hard, check out: http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50332
///MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:13 AM   #6
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

I bought my M3 in Phoenix Arizona. It had to be the 95-model year; 5spd, air and of course white. I didn't care about the mileage. I was going to rebuild the motor anyways. My total purchase price with all taxes and duty $12500 CANADIAN. That was 3 years ago. At that time all of the M3's in Canada were going around $25000 to $30000 CANADIAN. The car came with full records and in running condition and 5 minor door dents. The M3 had to meet Canadian standards; daytime running lights and child restrain system. Total cost for converting to Canadian standards $35. There was an additional charge of $1100 for changing all of the fluids and 4-wheel alignment. My car was absolutely trouble free for one year until the “Need More Power” bug bit me. The other good thing buying the car from Phoenix Arizona is “absolutely no rust anywhere”.
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:53 AM   #7
rodo
6th Gear Member

i should get my e36 in arizona then

2010 Expedition

Objects in mirror are farther than they appear Only in a BMW

rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:22 PM   #8
low_bmw
6th Gear Member

Location: "ANYWHERE WHERE THE PAVEMENT IS SMOOTH AND THERE IS NO SPEEDBUMPS" Toronto (Etobicoke)
mine is from Texas. mint condition underneath. no rust
1991 CIVIC ZC (SOLD)
1999 CIVIC LX (SOLD)
1999 E36 M3 CABRIO (SOLD)
1998 INTEGRA GS (STOLEN IN 4 DAYS)
1999 ACURA EL PREMIUM (SOLD)
2002 330CI M PACKAGE (SOLD)
2005 ACURA EL (daily driver)
1990 FORD MUSTANG LX (garage queen)
low_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:30 PM   #9
Bmwstylz
6th Gear Member

Yeah and some are really cheap down there! I have seen a few clean florida M3s go for 10 grand canadian.

What is the deal on Federalizing them though? Darkness - you said it only cost you $35 for the parts for a 1995 (the model year I would likely buy). I was talking with another guy from this board who works for Transport Canada and he said 1995s are hard to put up to Canadian spec since they are different than other model years (lower bumper or something). Not sure if this is true - apparently not by what you said.

What exactly did you have to change to make it Canadian Road Legal? Just DRL relay box and some child restraint anchors?
Old 04-15-2005, 12:40 PM   #10
low_bmw
6th Gear Member

Location: "ANYWHERE WHERE THE PAVEMENT IS SMOOTH AND THERE IS NO SPEEDBUMPS" Toronto (Etobicoke)
for mine, the child restraint anchors are optional, because its a convertible.
1991 CIVIC ZC (SOLD)
1999 CIVIC LX (SOLD)
Old 04-15-2005, 01:10 PM   #11
///MP
Purveyor of Useless Info

The bumpers on the '95 M3 do not meet Canadian standards. Current regulations state that you're supposed to swap them out. It's possible that the standards changed since Darkness got his (3 years ago). Then again, if you know the right people...
///MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:14 PM   #12
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MP
The bumpers on the '95 M3 do not meet Canadian standards. Current regulations state that you're supposed to swap them out. It's possible that the standards changed since Darkness got his (3 years ago). Then again, if you know the right people...
I received the document from Transport Canada. Speaking on the phone with the Government officials they explained to me that I will require the following changes;
1) 5Mph impact front bumper struts.
2) All of the identification labels on the vehicle have to be changed to both French and English.
3) The Speedometer has to be changed to read Km or both Kmh and Mph
4) Any recalls for that model year has to be addressed by the dealer.
5) Daytime Running lights.
6) Child restraint system for baby seat.
7) Car has to pass Canadian Safety standards.
8) Vehicle has to pass Canadian Emission Test.

Once I brought the car over the border I received a package from the Government and the only change requested was daytime running lights and child restrain system. Canadian Safety and Emissions is standard for any vehicle requiring new plates. The emission tests were done and the vehicle failed, replaced a oxygen sensor and all fluids and the M3 passed with flying colours. The safety was performed by Performance Cars BMW and passed without any issues, however they recommended a few changes, which I agreed, and some parts were changed. After all was said and done I had to take the car to Canadian Tire for inspection for the Canadian Certificate, it passed without any problems.
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:19 PM   #13
Antz_Marchin
4th Gear Member

$12,500? Holy crap.......well I guess I should have checked south before buying mine here. Mine's mint with REALLY low km....but 12.5k DAMN
Antz_Marchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:48 PM   #14
low_bmw
6th Gear Member

you dont need to change the speedo, because the US speedo has mph/kmph. the canadian BMW's just have km.
1991 CIVIC ZC (SOLD)
1999 CIVIC LX (SOLD)
Old 04-15-2005, 02:58 PM   #15
danbean123
2nd Gear Member

don't forget if your looking at '96 M3s, well it will be a US car for sure, because in 1996 BMW Canada didn't import M3 for the canadian market. So all the '96 you will see are all from USA, I know it for sure, because I own one.
danbean123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: