Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-12-2005, 08:33 AM   #1
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Angry 540I vs Transport Truck Drive Shaft on the QEW I Lost!

Just getting on to the QEW heading to Hamilton from Ontario St. here in Beamsville. WOT, darn there goes that traction light, 5500rpm shift into second, traction light comes on briefly, 5500rpm shift into third. 5500rpm shift into 4th, 5500rpm shift into 6th enter cruise mode. Man I love this car, I feel like nothing can catch me, this thing is the fastest car on the road it is so smooth so quiet , bring on the Vipers and 550RWHP Corvettes, Ferrari Enzo’s heck bring on those Litre Bikes that everyone has been discussing on the forum lately. Nahh I get my A$$ whooped; however it is fast for what it is. Enough daydreaming and back to reality.
Driving on the QEW in the middle lane at well over the speed limit (Not saying by how much, insurance reasons you know) approaching a transport truck, which is traveling on the right lane.
Now what happened next was over in 3 or 4 seconds however it seemed to take forever to me. It looked like a clip from an asteroid movie. There were parts flying through the air hundreds of them followed by 2 huge pieces one 2 or 3 times bigger then the other. WTF! Since I know that there were no cars behind me or on either side. I “Slammed” my break pedal hard Shift into third to help slow the car down and just incase I need throttle response. The smaller piece about a foot in length is ahead of the other by 10 feet or so. They finally hit the ground, the bigger of the 2 pieces changes direction towards me, CHIT left input on the steering wheel, my foot off the brakes trying to unload my suspension, 540i respond like it is alive and knows that if this big piece makes contact with it it’s over. For what seemed an eternity in reality it was no more than a blink of an eye, no impact noise that’s one down. My eyes are focused on the other projectile now directly in front, CHIT this is going to hit, trying to get it to hit underneath the car and not take out my front wheel, more left input on the wheel she responds. BANG, BANG the once quiet cabin is now filled with heart pounding sound of the under carriage being ripped apart. It’s not over, my last steering input has placed my vehicle on the left shoulder filled with sand, paper, cans, bottles, fridges, stoves and you get the picture, I love what our taxed money is doing for us.
I’m heading right for the concrete barrier at over 100Kmh, must turn the wheel hard right or the front end is done for.
Now I’m just thinking, I just spent the last year and last 4 months every day looking for this vehicle and in less then 2 seconds it’s going to the graveyard, the last week I spent in research into mods like turbo’s, superchargers and other performance enhancing parts, which after some heavy discussion with one certain individual from the forum is now not going to happen since my wife overheard us speak she agrees with him, daily driver don't need mods, now this might be a good thing. The insurance company is not going to replace the car or give me the fair value of this once fine German engineered piece of machinery, they won’t give me my money back on my brand new Yokahama Tires, my wife is going to F’N KILL ME.
Right input on the wheel, concrete wall coming, more right input, wall still coming “common baby daddy loves you”, front wheel push “COMMON RESPOND” hate insurance companies. F^^^ It, mash the gas pedal to the floor “COMMON BABY. Minute steering input from me, on the bottom of my eye I can see lights flashing. Dust coming into the cabin look into my side view mirror, from the corner of my eye I can see the wall no more then a foot or so away from it, glance at the final image of the rear side of my car now in gulped in sand, look straight ahead “YEAH, WAHOOO, F^^^^^^ A”. Clear road ahead, turn my head to the right look at the transport truck pulling over on to the shoulder.
Once pulled over in front of the Transport Truck, I approached the drivers cab:
Driver : Hi
Me: Hi
Driver : Something broke I heard a big explosion back there.
Me: Yeah I know you lost your drive shaft
Driver : Really
Me: Really
Driver : Ok, I knew something let go, Thanks
Me: Only one problem.
Driver : What is that may I ask
Me: I drove over one piece and your exploding U-Joint cracked my windshield and chipped paint of my hood.
Driver : That’s no good.
Me: I know
Called my insurance company who told me to call the OPP, which I did. While waiting I noticed cars and trucks avoiding the 2 big pieces. So I decided to go get them, the Yoke is about a foot long and weighs over 30 pounds, the drive shaft is about 2 ½ feet in length and weighs over 40 pounds. I wonder what damage the yoke did to my under side of my car. The OPP did arrive after 15 minutes and wrote up the accident report. The driver of the truck works for a company here in Jordan was very nice and helpful gave me additional information regarding the company, who I called once I got home, they were also very helpful. Called my insurance broker who took down all of the information. Couple of hours later the insurance company called, the first question they asked me was if I was hurt? No was my reply. The second question was; was the other driver charged? Again my answer was no.
Here is the funny part since the other driver was not charged I have to fix my own car and this will affect my insurance premium. With a $1500 deductible I’m pissed. I just don’t know why but I hate insurance companies.

Last edited by Darkness95m3; 04-12-2005 at 08:49 AM.
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:41 AM   #2
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
sorry to hear about this, I try not to drive to close to transport trucks, I normally zip around them, good to hear that you are alright

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:04 AM   #3
SkycityBMW
6th Gear Member

Glad to hear that your ok . . . . Sorry to hear about your car . .
How much damage was done underneath?
Old 04-12-2005, 09:07 AM   #4
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

that was a close call dude............you ok.............
Old 04-12-2005, 09:11 AM   #5
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkycityBMW
Glad to hear that your ok . . . . Sorry to hear about your car . .
How much damage was done underneath?
Don't know. Im taking it to Budd's today so they can have a look at it.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:12 AM   #6
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul christians
that was a close call dude............you ok.............
I'm fine thanks. But I hate insurance companies.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:14 AM   #7
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

yes I know they are ass good luck dude........
Old 04-12-2005, 09:21 AM   #8
myndgone
..... kLaSSe~1 .....

Send a message via MSN to myndgone
wow! that sucks...good to hear you're ok!
and no worries, you will fix your baby and you will always hate insurance companies!

BTW, your stories rock!
myndgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:56 AM   #9
///Greco540
4th Gear Member

You should be pleasantly surprised at how strong the undercarraige and components are in this car. Good luck though and let us know the damage $$$.
Mods: M5 Grill, CDV, AE Xenons, Rogue Engineering Octane Short Shifter w/ WSR, Rogue Engineering Performance Transmission Mounts, Royal Purple Synchromax Transmission Fluid, Gruppe M Filter Ram Charger

My Car Site
///Greco540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #10
Shuller1458
2nd Gear Member

Ohhh ****. How come insurance didn't cover your dammage? Even if you have one way insurance, should you be compensated for the dammage which is not YOUR fault? regardless wether other guy is charged or not.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:09 PM   #11
Ryousuke
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ryousuke Send a message via AIM to Ryousuke
What the hell so you call them up tell them that you had an accident and even though the driver wasn't charged and you got declined with repair of the car AND you have to fix it your self your insurance still goes up even though they didn't do anything to help you? May I ask what the ****?
Ryousuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:38 PM   #12
Razkal
6th Gear Member

Car insurance in this country is such a piece of bullsh*t. I can't believe it - you pay through the nose for it in the first place and when something does happen, you can't even use it as you will end up paying more afterwards for increased rates and even if you are not at fault - you still have to pick up the tab.

Such a crock!

All in all, glad to see that you are ok!

Need any help with branding your company/services? :
http://www.businessninja.ca

Razkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:47 PM   #13
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

The insurance company will pay for the damage done to my vehicle, however I must pay my deductible of $1500. The reason I have to pay my deductible is very simple "The other driver never got charged" If he had been charged all would be well. Now looking at it on the drivers side it’s not fair for him he never caused the incident it was a mechanical failure on the truck.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:05 PM   #14
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
-awesome story...you should be a writer
-that is some crazy $h!t. i know what you mean when in the matter of seconds it feels like a life time. once saw a 4 person couch fly in the air in front of me while i was doing over the speed limit. good thing for x-drilled rotors and sticky tires.
-it is stupid how insurance companies work. like said above, your already paying a high price and if something happens, your fault or not, you get charged even more. stupid people these days.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 03:58 PM   #15
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

The insurance company called me just now. They called the trucking companies insurance they stated; yes in fact it was their insured fault.
That's great news for me; this means no premiums will go up and no deductible that I have to pay.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: