Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Classifieds > Looking for
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-03-2005, 10:20 PM   #1
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
325e/528e ETA clutch!!

Ok, now my clutch slips a lot (damn drifting in the snow), so I guess I should replace it. Anyone have either a used clutch disc, or a clutch kit with some meat on it?? Or will any m20 clutch work??

Thanks
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:06 AM   #2
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Nelson,

Clear your PM box and PM me about this topic!

Dave
Old 04-04-2005, 01:34 AM   #3
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50E30
Nelson,

Clear your PM box and PM me about this topic!

Dave
clear, resend the PM
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 04-07-2005, 10:28 PM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

Bump, no one happens to have a used one?
Old 04-07-2005, 11:19 PM   #5
NickP

PM Punnzells he may have one - also you'll need to determine if you have a single mass vs dual mass flywheel - the clutches are different.
NickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:23 PM   #6
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP
PM Punnzells he may have one - also you'll need to determine if you have a single mass vs dual mass flywheel - the clutches are different.
Hmmm, and how do I find this out without pulling the tranny?? I guess I'll take the VIN to the dealership and ask them....I want to get my beater back on the road!!!!

Do you know if the ETA clutchs are the same as the other m20's?? (provided they're single or dual mass).
Old 04-08-2005, 01:19 AM   #7
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
The flywheel dosen't matter. It only matters if it is a 2.5L or a 2.7L......he has the same 2.7L eta as a 325e.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:09 AM   #8
NickP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50E30
The flywheel dosen't matter. It only matters if it is a 2.5L or a 2.7L......he has the same 2.7L eta as a 325e.
Ummm no; the single mass clutch and pressure plate is way different that the dual mass one.

Refer to:
http://www.ultimategarage.com/clutch.htm

*removed a typo*

Last edited by NickP; 04-08-2005 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:16 AM   #9
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Ummm no; the single dual mass clutch and pressure plate is way different that the dual mass one.

Refer to:
http://www.ultimategarage.com/clutch.htm
I guess it's safe to assume that my car has a dual mass flywheel (judging by that link). Single mass clutches have sprung hubs and dual mass don't, right?? At least that is how it was with my 328 clutch, it wasn't sprung, let my M5 clutch was. So I need a clutch from 5/86 and newer......maybe I'll just buy the disc and reuse the pressure plate. The car is a junker anyway, I just need to get myself to school and work, and I don't feel like driving my car around everywhere
Old 04-08-2005, 10:21 AM   #10
NickP

You could get away with using the pressure plate unless the inner fingers are bent / worn out.

The one thing that I always find needs changing (and is cheap) is the pivot pin on the arm.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:52 AM   #11
thinair
moderationistismingly

Any issues/secrets I should keep in mind when I'm dropping the tranny?? I did the flywheel and clutch on my 328 last year, so I can't see it being all that different.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:25 AM   #12
NickP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
Any issues/secrets I should keep in mind when I'm dropping the tranny?? I did the flywheel and clutch on my 328 last year, so I can't see it being all that different.
Pretty similar actually - the biggest pain is to remove the starter - and at least on an e30 the top 2 tranny bolts. I think *not sure* that the only thing that you have to be careful with on an eta is that there's a reference pin / sensor off the flywheel that you don't want to accidentally break.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: