Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-31-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
eh?
Slow Member

Talking Mk4 GTI 1.8T vs. E46 M3

I'm new to the site so I figured I'd share a kill story from last year. It's my favourite one.

I had been having serious problems with my clutch sticking. I wasn't sure what the problem was. I had an appointment scheduled for the following week to have it looked at. As I left my friend's house in Markham, to head home to Mississauga, I told him it was unlikely I'd make it home.

While heading down the 404, a Civic pulled up beside me, dropped a gear or two, then took off. I didn't think anything of it and just continued at a leisurely 120 km/h. Then an M3 with a skirt package, after-market exhaust and Dinan badging pulled up beside me and did the same thing. I thought to myself, "What the hell did my friend write on the back window before I left?" Now this simply wouldn't do. A Civic - whatever. Not worth it. A BMW M3 - a worthy adversary.

I slipped it into 3rd and gave chase. We got one 3rd/4th pull in before the 401. I wanted to be sure he was giving it everything he had, so I decided to miss my exit and follow him onto the DVP. I ran the guy a few more times on the DVP. I was able to get a few car lengths on him every time.

He exited at Wynford Dr., so I decided to exit there and turn around to go home. I was right behind him at the traffic light. When light turned green, he drove away and I couldn't go anywhere. The car wouldn't go into 1st gear. I had slipped it into neutral just before the light. It turns out the clutch release fork had cracked in half. D'oh.

While I was on the phone with CAA, I saw the guy in the M3 go by on Wynford Dr. He had noticed that I never left the intersection and had come back to find out why. I explained the situation to him and he helped me push my car to the nearest parking lot.

I love telling that story because I was so embarrassed. I wasn't at all upset that the car was broken, just that it had happened then and there. I couldn't stop laughing afterwards.
eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:16 PM   #2
///MsAniTy
6th Gear Member

nice kill man, what are the details to your ride?
///MsAniTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:20 PM   #3
maxx318i
BMW Individual

Send a message via ICQ to maxx318i Send a message via MSN to maxx318i
you got lucky, he was very nice. why is the M3 a worthy competitor?? u have a GOLF dude... ok a turbo charged 1.8 liter golf... oh no.. versus a Inline 8 M3??
the reason i dont race Lamborghinis is.. u know why..
same reason u dont race M3s..
pEace

SAFETY BY EDUCATION, NOT SPEED ENFORCEMENT
maxx318i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:19 PM   #4
A~G
Car Payment Free

Send a message via MSN to A~G
lol

A~G

Man who run in front of car get tired.
Man who run behind car get exhausted.
A~G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:47 PM   #5
Ant118
BmwAviator

The one Golf that i know that would keep up or kill would be the R32 Euro Spec, that car is insane no disrespect to Bmw but that WV is crazy

2011 Alpine/Black 335is
Ant118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:27 PM   #6
///MsAniTy
6th Gear Member

You guys r dumbasses dont u assume if he has a 1.8t that he has a turbo upgrade to probably atleast a stage 2 kit which will bitch slap m3's
///MsAniTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:31 PM   #7
Raging Lamb
?

M3's come with inline 8s??? Damn I got short changed!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2005, 11:35 PM   #8
Ant118
BmwAviator

^^ The E46 M3 is a DOHC 24-valve inline 6-cylinder high-pressure Double VANOS steplessly variable valve timing, individual electronically controlled throttles with Normal & Sport settings
Heres the specs: http://www.bmwworld.com/models/m3h1.htm

2011 Alpine/Black 335is
Old 03-31-2005, 11:37 PM   #9
Ant118
BmwAviator

The best E46 M3s would have to be the CSL, GTR street, and if you dont live in Europe the Compition Pkg is very good as well

2011 Alpine/Black 335is
Old 03-31-2005, 11:41 PM   #10
Raging Lamb
?

^^Sounds like an impressive engine, would love to get a ride in one some day. Although I guess it's not as impressive as the tubo charged 1.8T on highways.
Thanks for the link.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:56 PM   #11
Ant118
BmwAviator

No problem. The only thing on the M3 is that it has race gears in it so its all bottom end and tops out at like 250km/h. Now some guy in Germany had used 1st - 3rd as the orginal M3 gears but replaced 4th - 6th with the 01' M5 Gears. He also Ripped everything out because the E46 is a heavy car. He topped that car out at 320 or something like that, sick car. Will ask for his Video and site

2011 Alpine/Black 335is
Old 03-31-2005, 11:59 PM   #12
Raging Lamb
?

Wow that sounds sick. See if you can find the video
Old 04-01-2005, 01:28 AM   #13
eh?
Slow Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx318i
you got lucky, he was very nice. why is the M3 a worthy competitor?? u have a GOLF dude... ok a turbo charged 1.8 liter golf... oh no.. ... same reason u dont race M3s..
See, the problem with that statement is that I do race M3s.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:37 AM   #14
eh?
Slow Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MsAniTy
nice kill man, what are the details to your ride?
Nothing special. Original stock motor with bolt-ons. APR Stage III turbo kit and various other stuff. The car made 262 whp and 278 wtq @ 17 psi on Sunoco 94. I'm hoping to upgrade to the Stage III+ turbo, injectors and software this summer. That should be good for over 300 whp on pump gas.

There are some much faster 1.8T VWs in the GTA. It's my daily, so I don't want to go too crazy. 136,000 km and still going strong.

There's something I don't understand. I've been lurking for a while and noticed that you guys have some love for the VR6 and nothing but hate for the 1.8T. There is a replacement for displacement... it's called boost.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:43 AM   #15
eh?
Slow Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant118
The one Golf that i know that would keep up or kill would be the R32 Euro Spec, that car is insane no disrespect to Bmw but that WV is crazy
The European Golf R32 is not that different from the North American Golf R32. Both have a 240 hp 3.2L VR6 with Haldex AWD and a 6-speed transmission. The differences between the NA and Euro models are minor and include different bumpers, more seat options in Europe, and OEM HIDs in Europe. It's not crazy. The HPA Motorsports 550 hp twin turbo R32s are crazy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: