Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-31-2005, 12:57 PM   #1
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

1997 540I vs 2005 Acura TL

My… sorry my wife’s 540I has been in my possession for the past few days actually since we got it. She hasn’t even driven the car but I guess one day she will have to get behind the wheel.
Here I’m driving home on the QEW from Hamilton after leaving my friends house, who purchased my 318Is, just making sure he is taking care of her.
Looking around the cabin of the 540I wondering why did I wait so long to purchase one, I mean this cars interior is quite compared to the M3 it’s more roomier I love it, but why? Is it maybe that I have reached that stage in my life where luxury cars look more appealing, Is my next car going to be a Mercedes? Got to clear my head from these unlawful thoughts and enjoy my new ride before the wife claims her rightful place behind the wheel.
Traveling @120KMh I approach a few slow moving vehicles in the left lane and slow down to mach their snail pace speed of 100KMh. After 2 Km nobody has passed anyone, the small group has now grown to 30 or 40 vehicles. I look in the rearview mirror everything looks dark, then it clicks in this car is equipped with dimming rearview mirror.
In front of me is a new Acura TL he is getting inpatient. Just thinking those Acura’s look really nice, few times during my search I thought of buying the Acura instead of the 540I.
Vehicle on my right moves over there is an opening, leave the car in 6th gear step on the pedal and I start to overtake the slower moving vehicles. As I pass all of the cars I look ahead of me no vehicles for at least 3 or 4 kilometers.
Glance in my rearview mirror which is back to normal colour I notice a fast approaching vehicle in my right side view mirror, the vehicle is now right besides me, ah the Acura TL. I thought to my self “That looks freaking nice”. The Acura is now besides me matching my speed of 120Kmh. Hmmm interesting I can’t see the driver both his/her and mine windows are tinted. My speed drops to 100Kmh so does his/hers. What’s up with that, like I didn’t know! All of a sudden I could hear the Acura’s engine screaming in delight knowing that it is about to take on a Bimmer and I thought to my self wish I had my M3 but these would prove to be interesting. Down shift to 4th gear, without warning the Acura is in WOT mode and starts to accelerate away from me, I step on the pedal looking at my tach “darn” should have gone into 3rd gear. Bimmer comes to life the Acura’s disappearing act is now halted, 5500Rpm shift into 5th we are side by side, looking at the speedo needle it is climbing through the numbers quickly glance in the side view mirror the opponent is now a few car lengths behind, 5500Rpm shift into 6th, by this time he is clearly a few bus lengths behind and fading fast. Glad I bought the 540I instead. My exit is approaching and I signal to get of the QEW the Acura is following me.
We stop together at a red light both of us roll down our window, The drives says “I Love Your Car what year”? 1997 I explain, what year is yours? I ask. 2005 was his reply. Nice ride I yell out at him. He asks, do you want to go from a roll? “Sure” I answered since there is no traffic at all.
My right hand grips the shifter firmly, traction control on since I don’t know how to lunch the car. Red….Red…Red..Red. GREEN, WOT instrument cluster traction light is flashing, Acura has a foot or two lead 5500RPm shift, traction light comes on for a brief moment, look in the rear view mirror the Acura is approx. 4 car lengths behind. Wow!!!
The driver turns of on the next street flashes his light I wave back. WOW…I LOVE MY 540I er sorry My Wifes 540I.

Last edited by Darkness95m3; 03-31-2005 at 12:59 PM.
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:04 PM   #2
eh?
Slow Member

I've never driven a new TL, but I drove a 2001 TL and was mostly unimpressed with its performance. It did have a nice exhaust note tho.
eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:35 PM   #3
myndgone
..... kLaSSe~1 .....

Send a message via MSN to myndgone
nice!

cant wait to find one of those TLs to line up against my 540.
myndgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
nice kill, I always wonder how the 540 would stand up to these new high power V6's in these jap cars, the only high power V6 I raced against was a new Nissen Ultima 3.5 SE, needless to say that I smoked him

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:06 PM   #5
just325iS
3rd Gear Member

I'm surprise that he took you off the line since you got rear wheel drive vs his fronts. I guess it was the traction control kicking in. Funny how those TL's and G35's think they are so fast now, just because they got close to 300hp. Saw a black TL the other day on the 401 trying to show off weaving all over the place. They are acting like bullies now, all up on your ass.

Last fall I had a older couple in their G35 coupe showing off. They would pass me, slow down until I catch up and then pass me again. Since he was with his wife, I didn't want to destroy him but after the third time, I had to do it. when he got next to me I downshifted into third, the charger started screaming to red line, shifted into fourth, fifth and checked my mirror. Left him in the dust. I slowed down to 100km/h to wait for him but he stayed far back. I don't know why but I have soo many G35 owner trying to race me.
just325iS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:23 PM   #6
eh?
Slow Member

I've noticed the same thing. A guy in a 350Z decided to race me on the 427 late at night. I had an extra 180-200 lbs. of ballast in my passenger seat and still managed to take him to school.
eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 01:02 AM   #7
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
lol good kill....All those high powered jap V6 think they can take anything now hahaa

ya right
lvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 03:34 AM   #8
just325iS
3rd Gear Member

yeah, same goes for the 350Z owner. Little do they know, their car has the same chassis as the maxima with the same motor, just a bit better tuned.
just325iS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 03:59 AM   #9
maxx318i
BMW Individual

Send a message via ICQ to maxx318i Send a message via MSN to maxx318i
well done boys.
i havent seen anyone take on a 540i here.. um.. they wouldn't bother with a BMW V8 engine, just plain silly

SAFETY BY EDUCATION, NOT SPEED ENFORCEMENT
maxx318i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:41 PM   #10
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
So now you have some idea how 545 6- speed can do damage...I heard 13.8 1/4 mile not sure about 540s..
lvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:39 PM   #11
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Cool... I can scratch that car off my hit list
windwagen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:18 AM   #12
e30bim
Banned

i worked at bmw and drove basically every model car between 1990 and 2003 and by far the e39 540 6sp was my favorite fast as shit 155 km/h in 3rd at the top of the tach. Also the 1995 6 sp. e34 is just as fun with a bit more of a sporty ride.
e30bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:31 AM   #13
rollee
3rd Gear Member

nice kill. that tl guy is also a good sport. hats off to him 'playing' with fire.

just325, that g35 is annoying, thanks for putting him in his place.
rollee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 05:27 AM   #14
anfreny
2nd Gear Member

damn your big bad V8's

a 6spd 540 with a competent driver is about same as "skilled" Z/G35coupe driver with 6spd in the 1/4 only, then them euro mobiles pull away.

it would be interesting to see GS430 with 540 auto.

also, those 3.5 nissan autos, TL autos, and G35 sedan autos are high 14s, not soo far away from an auto 540 doing mid 14s...

i ran 00 540 auto with 3people in it, i was alone, and he couldnt pull on me till 110 120kph in my altima 3.5 auto

Last edited by anfreny; 04-04-2005 at 05:29 AM.
anfreny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:22 PM   #15
Raging Lamb
?

The old school 5's are awsome. They still kick ass.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: