Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-31-2005, 12:03 PM   #1
Slowered318
Powered by Budgies

Bilstein or Koni

price not being an option.. what do you guys think? They are going to be used with H&R Sport Springs.

Bilstein Sport (always liked them and never had a problem)

Koni Adjustable (heard they have better rebound control, though i've pulled them out of cars because they were blown and leaking)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg koni.jpg (5.3 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg bilstein.jpg (6.8 KB, 310 views)

Last edited by Slowered318; 03-31-2005 at 12:11 PM.
Slowered318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:06 PM   #2
agent_Z3
looking for an e36

Send a message via MSN to agent_Z3
koni

click sig
agent_Z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:10 PM   #3
Slowered318
Powered by Budgies

^^^^^
that's great.. but why?
Old 03-31-2005, 12:54 PM   #4
oldskool3
4th Gear Member

My cousin has used both and when I had asked him the same question he said he definetly prefered the koni's. Don't remember why I think he said the where a lot stiffer and offered a better ride. I think. I am also going to go with koni's for my ride.
oldskool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:07 PM   #5
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

In my research, I've never really found a good reason to get the Bilsteins. I'll elaborate, and please someone contest me if you have solid data against anything I say.

In valving, the Bilsteins are stiffer than the Konis in compression, but the complete opposite in rebound. Because of this, the Bilsteins aren't able to handle spring rates higher than the typical H&R Sport or Eibach Pro-Kit, because they can't control the oscillation. Meanwhile, thanks to already-firm plus adjustable to be even firmer rebound on the Konis, they will handle just about any rate you throw at them. The softer compression rate also lends a much more comfortable ride with the Konis, as undulations don't provide the harsh immediate feedback you get with the Bilsteins. Also many note that after a bump the Koni equipped car will settle immediately, while the Bilstein car will take an extra moment (due to the rebound difference). This makes the car feel much more composed. Keep in mind however that Bilsteins can be revalved, but at a cost that makes them more expensive than Konis in the end.

Another large difference between the two is that the Koni dampers are a twin-tube design, which theoretically lends a longer piston stroke and therefore more travel. Suspension travel in the front of our cars is very sparse, so this is an important advanatge. Plus, the bumpstops with Konis are external, and can be trimmed down to aid some applications. The Bilstein stops are internal, and cannot be modified, at least by anyone but Bilstein. On very low cars Bilstein Sports bottom out excessively, which proves these theories correct.

This "knowledge" is compiled from years of reading forums and speaking with Bilstein and Koni representatives and even a retired Bilstein engineer (who interestly enough convinced me that the Koni design is better). Take it all for what it's worth, of course.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:20 PM   #6
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

with the billy you can have valving made stiffer than what they are now S.O that is what I have told.And Koni's are very good too but dou to the adjustable is why they leak but still a good shock.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:23 PM   #7
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
In very low cars Bilstein Sports bottom out excessively, which proves these theories correct.
I can vouch for that.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:25 PM   #8
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite
I can vouch for that.
Haha I remember on the Midnight Cruise when we went over a big bump, you were PISSED on the radio.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:38 PM   #9
Gamite

ahahaha.. really? what did I say? "OW?"

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:18 PM   #10
Slowered318