Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-23-2005, 09:38 PM   #1
Nick86FC
1st Gear Newbie

Wanli Tires - Opinions? Experience?

I've been looking at some new tires, and everytime I go into a shop they say:

"You can buy these tires for $X, or I can sell you a set of Wanlis for half that."

The tires in question are Wanli S-1088's. They are a z rated tire with a 280 treadware - they look like this:

One salesman even said they were made by Dunlop.

So - Has anyone used these? What are they like? Any opinions?

Thanks!
Nick86FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:03 AM   #2
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

As of this past January there is no road hazard warrantee for tires in Canada (unless the shop offers one for an extra fee). Wanlis are OK for the price but if you drive hard I suggest you get into a better tire.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:39 AM   #3
Nick86FC
1st Gear Newbie

It's strange - I have just worn through a set of Yoko AVS - and went looking for replacements. Everywhere I went, I'd get a quote for about $200 a tires - then the salesman would say "Really you should try the Wanli's. They are Z rated and they are listed at $135 a tire." If it was one place I'd have thougt nothing of it - but the fact that I heard this from 3 different places has made me question why.

What aspect of the tire is questionable? Is it that they just don't offer a high level of grip, or is it that they are poorly constructed?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:10 PM   #4
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick86FC
It's strange - I have just worn through a set of Yoko AVS - and went looking for replacements. Everywhere I went, I'd get a quote for about $200 a tires - then the salesman would say "Really you should try the Wanli's. They are Z rated and they are listed at $135 a tire." If it was one place I'd have thougt nothing of it - but the fact that I heard this from 3 different places has made me question why.

What aspect of the tire is questionable? Is it that they just don't offer a high level of grip, or is it that they are poorly constructed?
They are just a cheap quality tire. I can sell 205/40/17 for $79+tx/ea.

As for wear every tire has a "treadwear" rating... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/utqg.jsp
Old 03-28-2005, 01:17 PM   #5
OTTO
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to OTTO Send a message via MSN to OTTO
I have 3 215/40/17's for sale...
you may be able to get the 4th for under $90 from M50E30

Used for less then 1 week and i decided to switch to 235s so these are just sitting in the basement.

have full receipts; purchased last year... and can even show you the reciepts of my second set for you to confirm time used...

$250 (no tax and delivered in GTA area) ---> these are 215s not 205s
OTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:56 PM   #6
OTTO
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to OTTO Send a message via MSN to OTTO
my apologies for the confusion..the tires are i have are the ones in question..the wanli's same thread pattern and wear rating as discussed in above posts.
thanks!
OTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:58 AM   #7
Big Chin
5th Gear Member

Wanli's are probably some of the worse tires I have ever seen.. but they are cheap.. If you don't drive hard they are fine.. but then again i would choose any kumho tires over wanli's
Big Chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:56 PM   #8
Nick86FC
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the offer OTTO - but I'm looking for a set of 225/45/17's.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:33 AM   #9
8500 RPM
BMW = Big Money Wasted

I am getting some Kumho MX's. I heard they are pretty good bang for the buck as well. My favourite tire I've ever bought was Bridgestone S-03, but too expensive for me now.
8500 RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:09 AM   #10
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8500 RPM
I am getting some Kumho MX's. I heard they are pretty good bang for the buck as well. My favourite tire I've ever bought was Bridgestone S-03, but too expensive for me now.
Good dry tire. But they are not good in cold or wet.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:27 PM   #11
8500 RPM
BMW = Big Money Wasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50E30
Good dry tire. But they are not good in cold or wet.
At least I would think their cold/wet traction is better than my Falken Azenis RT? no?
Old 04-02-2005, 08:54 PM   #12
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
At least I would think their cold/wet traction is better than my Falken Azenis RT? no?
What kind of driving do you do? Do you do any auto-X or driving schools?

If no then there are many better street tires available than MX's.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:16 PM   #13
8500 RPM
BMW = Big Money Wasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50E30
What kind of driving do you do? Do you do any auto-X or driving schools?

If no then there are many better street tires available than MX's.
I do PITL. What tire do you recommend that is in this price range and yet has excellent dry and wet like a performance tire should be, without having to spend Bridgestone S-03 type of money. I personally know a few people with Wanli's that had their side wall crack and bubbles developing on the sidewall. This happened to me on my Kumho Ecsta 712s. I guess the saying , "you get you pay for" is ineed the case so far. But for the Falkens, I'm very happy with what I got out of them in dry weather. STIFF sidewall and a champion on autocross. I am looking for 205 50 15's and would ideally not spend over $500 all-in. I don't do any winter driving with this car.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:38 AM   #14
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Quote:
I do PITL. What tire do you recommend that is in this price range and yet has excellent dry and wet like a performance tire should be, without having to spend Bridgestone S-03 type of money. I personally know a few people with Wanli's that had their side wall crack and bubbles developing on the sidewall. This happened to me on my Kumho Ecsta 712s. I guess the saying , "you get you pay for" is ineed the case so far. But for the Falkens, I'm very happy with what I got out of them in dry weather. STIFF sidewall and a champion on autocross. I am looking for 205 50 15's and would ideally not spend over $500 all-in. I don't do any winter driving with this car.

Well if the Falken's are working out for you then I would stick with them. But if you can get a good price on the MX's then give them a shot. I'm not knocking the MX's......but just warning you that everybody hates those tires in cold or wet conditions.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:40 AM   #15
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
I heard the MX's rival S0-3's in the wet??? I almost bought a set actually.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: