Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-16-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
A worthless and free car, do i pay taxes??

I might buy a car, it has a book value of $0 according to the MTO (I got the used vehicle information package), and lets say it was free, would I need to pay taxes on it when transferring ownership??

From what I know, you pay taxes on the wholesale value or the purchase price, whatever is higher. So if both are $0, will this be tax free???
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to RevShoT
i just got up to take a piss and damn..

do u really want a vehicle that has a value of 0 bucks?

dosent that tell you something?
RevShoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:55 PM   #3
thinair
moderationistismingly

That's besides the point, I need wheels, my truck has passed away
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."

Last edited by thinair; 03-16-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:06 PM   #4
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
I might buy a car, it has a book value of $0 according to the MTO (I got the used vehicle information package), and lets say it was free, would I need to pay taxes on it when transferring ownership??

From what I know, you pay taxes on the wholesale value or the purchase price, whatever is higher. So if both are $0, will this be tax free???
No taxes Nelson. My Peugeot had the same story, so i just told them i got it as a gift, and did not have to pay anything.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Hmmm i've known of cases when the car was free but u still had to pay taxes, but in this case since there is no amount to pay taxes on I guess not.

Pass by the ministry and ask them.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:25 PM   #6
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30
Hmmm i've known of cases when the car was free but u still had to pay taxes, but in this case since there is no amount to pay taxes on I guess not.

Pass by the ministry and ask them.
It depends on whether the vehicle exists on the MOT database. Peugeot for example does not, so you can say you got it free or even that you paid 10 dollars. They will have to accept it , because the vehicle does not exist in the database.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:27 PM   #7
thinair
moderationistismingly

Well, this vehicle exists in the database, but it just says wholesale value $0, retail value $0 on the MTO UVIP I got earlier.

But thanks for your info, this car just keeps getting better....

Last edited by thinair; 03-16-2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:45 PM   #8
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Well, this vehicle exists in the database, but it just says wholesale value $0, retail value $0 on the MTO UVIP I got earlier.

But thanks for your info, this car just keeps getting better....
If it says zero, im pretty sure there is no tax, unless you report an amount you purchased it for. What is it btw? Im curious now... And I cannot believe the truck is dead! Damn, this winter must of killed it?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:57 PM   #9
E36er
West Coast Contact!

Buy it off the guy for 10 bucks....barely any tax's off that

my dad bought a car off my Grandpa for 1 buck for some reason like that
Old 03-16-2005, 10:06 PM   #10
e36chick
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to e36chick
i'm curious as to what this 0$ car might be!
e36chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 10:16 PM   #11
thinair
moderationistismingly

an e28, and i think 360,000 very hard km's killed the truck. The tranny died today, the output shaft was all screwed up and on Monday it barfed out all the tranny oil through the seal. So i just kept driving on it. I was going to trash it anyway. 263km later the tranny wouldn't engage any gear but 4th, and it kept popping out. The tires are slick, the frame is bent, 2 body mounts were rusted out, the voltage regulator doesn't regulate (charges up to 20V). It's time to swap to another beater.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:16 PM   #12
jeffrie
Addict

You do have to pay tax the only way out of this is if it was a gift from a family member.
In Qubec they go by milage but in Ontario I beleive they go by what dealers/inssurace Quote them. Expect at least a 100-200 bucks in tax for a beater with a receipt of $0.00.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 10:40 PM   #13
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
an e28, and i think 360,000 very hard km's killed the truck. The tranny died today, the output shaft was all screwed up and on Monday it barfed out all the tranny oil through the seal. So i just kept driving on it. I was going to trash it anyway. 263km later the tranny wouldn't engage any gear but 4th, and it kept popping out. The tires are slick, the frame is bent, 2 body mounts were rusted out, the voltage regulator doesn't regulate (charges up to 20V). It's time to swap to another beater.
damn...poor thing... Oh well...time for a new beast! that e28 better get the thinair treatment (in looks i mean) not in abuse
Old 03-16-2005, 10:45 PM   #14
thinair
moderationistismingly

I'm not even going to try to restore it, if it lasts me a few months I'll have happy. I just need something to get me to school for the time being. Once it's warmer I can always just take my 328 if I have to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 528e.jpg (37.5 KB, 220 views)
Old 03-16-2005, 10:47 PM   #15
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Trade it to Terry for the e30, I'm sure he'll agree!

2000 Audi A8 SWB Silver/Black
1992 BMW 525iT/5 White/Blue [MPars, HIDs, cargo net]
1989 525i [scrapped]
1995 BMW 318i DASC [sold]
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: