Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-30-2005, 02:36 PM   #1
Polish
6th Gear Member

Question Going for my G, Advice?

Hey guys, im going for my G on April 1st at 3pm... in hamilton, you guys have any suggestions...go with the flow of traffic or drive 100km/h on the highway?
any tips would be nice, kinda nervous for it, ive been driving with two hands for 1 week now, its ****ing gay, haha, i always end up 1 handing it, my mom rented a 2005 Maxima for the week (worked out good) so im using that...

Wish me luck
Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 02:51 PM   #2
Gullwing
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Gullwing Send a message via Yahoo to Gullwing
I remember when I did my G test, after I merged with highway traffic, he asked me to change lanes from the slow lane to the fast lane, I was doing 100 KM and naturally I had to speed up to get in the fast lane, In the fast lane I sped up to 120 KM to keep up with the traffic, so I told him I have to go back to the slow lane and I did and slowed down to 100/110 KM. He said I did the right thing.

So remember , sometimes he will test you to see if you will break the law ( like telling you to make a left, but its a one way street that goes only right), you have to make your own decisions in there, don't just follow his instructions like a robot.

In conclusion, I find it that if you show him you are comfortable driving, it makes the whole difference. Good luck man ! and remember to call your insurance for a rate reduction if you pass
Old 03-30-2005, 03:05 PM   #3
BimmerBlonde
2nd Gear Member

question: how do you book the test??
BimmerBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:06 PM   #4
Betray
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Betray Send a message via AIM to Betray Send a message via MSN to Betray
^^^ call?
Betray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:20 PM   #5
BimmerBlonde
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betray
^^^ call?
call who?? my g2 is expiring in august
BimmerBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:24 PM   #6
Timbaland
3rd Gear Member

Go here to book it.
http://www.drivetest.ca/
Old 03-30-2005, 03:31 PM   #7
Polish
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gullwing
I remember when I did my G test, after I merged with highway traffic, he asked me to change lanes from the slow lane to the fast lane, I was doing 100 KM and naturally I had to speed up to get in the fast lane, In the fast lane I sped up to 120 KM to keep up with the traffic, so I told him I have to go back to the slow lane and I did and slowed down to 100/110 KM. He said I did the right thing.

So remember , sometimes he will test you to see if you will break the law ( like telling you to make a left, but its a one way street that goes only right), you have to make your own decisions in there, don't just follow his instructions like a robot.

In conclusion, I find it that if you show him you are comfortable driving, it makes the whole difference. Good luck man ! and remember to call your insurance for a rate reduction if you pass

awesome, i totally forgot that the fast lane is only meant for passing, and not for driving, so ill have to scoot back to the slow lane after, u saved me there, and yeah they always throw curve balls just to test u

im turning 21 in a few months so with my G and my age my rates should drop hopefully
Old 03-30-2005, 05:08 PM   #8
BMWF1

shit your pants right when the instructor gets into the car, hopefully the smell will be so bad that he/she will just leave and give you your slip
Old 03-30-2005, 05:13 PM   #9
Bmwstylz
6th Gear Member

I have never had or heard of the Instructors "throwing curve balls" or telling people to do illegal things! thats ridiculous.

And as for driving with two hands - whats so gay about that? All the performance driving schools teach you to do that. And most race car drivers do it too! lol its just makes for a better driver.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:26 PM   #10
Polish
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwstylz
I have never had or heard of the Instructors "throwing curve balls" or telling people to do illegal things! thats ridiculous.

And as for driving with two hands - whats so gay about that? All the performance driving schools teach you to do that. And most race car drivers do it too! lol its just makes for a better driver.

not saying its gay, but when uve been driving with 1 hand for 5 years approx. its a real change , alot harder to shift with two, not as fast i find it annoying at times, taking the automatic for sure
Old 03-30-2005, 05:28 PM   #11
Mr seville
6th Gear Member

up yo 41 mistakes...you'll do fine hah
Mr seville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:29 PM   #12
sirex
King Sirex

the only advice I have for you is this

ACCELERATE ON THE ACCELERATION LANE AS YOU ENTER THE HIGHWAY. IF the highway is moving fast, and speed is 90, you should be going at least 90 to 100 when you merge.

He will make you switch to the center lane, then back to the right lane. Up your speed if you can. Try to stay within the vicinity of the speed limit but also that of the traffic. Its unlikely that the lanes you will be in you will have to worry about flow of traffic moving more then 110.

Also, be confident, dont act nervous. you should be good to go.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:15 PM   #13
V-Thang
6th Gear Member

Yes, ACCELERATE when your merging into the highway!!! Dont be scared or nervous not to push the car a little... also, when your leaving the highway, slow down gradually to the suggested speed limit. Dont just hit the brakes and suddenly go from 100 to 60km/h or whatever
V-Thang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:23 PM   #14
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Sounds good! I'll have to go get my G before my 19th birthday, so I can at least have 1 beer and not have to worry about RIDE. ****, I'm a big guy, and 1 beer doesn't do anything to me anyway.

Good luck on your exam!

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:57 PM   #15
Timbaland
3rd Gear Member

The yellow signs on the on and off ramps are just suggested speeds, always make sure to keep checking your mirrors, and do the right left right (or left right left) check when you go through intersections.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: