Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2005, 11:51 AM   #1
daytona
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,720
Terri Schiavo



This story is getting abit more complicated than expected...Im for the rights of a individual to choose their fate under terminal cases,where the right to choose overrides the ethnic rights to live...but stories of abuse by her husband and his previous infidelities is coming to light...scans indicated that she had over four healed fractures and numberous blunt force tissue damaged from the last 9 years..this is clear indication of abuse.The husband only recently took over the guardian rights of this saga...what is his motives?This is a not only about right to die arguments but is the husband motives more than for Terri benefit or is he hiding the fact of the abuse?..there is even whispers of offers to produce this sorry mess,also the monetary aspect of his actions...this could only happen in the United States
daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:56 PM   #2
Jari
4th Gear Member
 
Jari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Beeton ON
Posts: 672
What a tragic story. I wouldn't want to be the judge in this case, but if I was, I would have to rule in favour of life, over starvation.
Jari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:16 PM   #3
SkycityBMW
6th Gear Member
 
SkycityBMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: North Central Ohio
Posts: 3,498
They said on the news that if she died . . her husband would only get about $40,000us all other to pay hospital bills.

That's crazy let her live.
__________________
SkycityBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:18 PM   #4
Polish
6th Gear Member
 
Polish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Hamilton Ontario
Posts: 1,692
I dont agree, she was in vegitative state for like 10 years, this shoulda happened a long time ago, parents are wasting everyones time, obviously they want her to live, but whats the point... u saw the videos, shes not improving at all, just let her die
Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
Dave535
3rd Gear Member
 
Dave535's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 300
If she would have had a written living will non of this would be happening. However, since nothing was in writing before she was in a vegative state it is impossible to know wether or not she would want to be kept alive or not. I say keep her alive and let things run their course without starving her. Also, I just heard that her parents had their final federal appeal rejected and their only hope to keep her alive is with a state judge that has rejected their appeals in the past.
Dave535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:06 PM   #6
BimmerBlonde
2nd Gear Member
 
BimmerBlonde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Etobicoke
Posts: 257
I'm in the middle on this subject, however, if they let her die then they should stop prescribing medications to millions of people for various illnesses and just "let" them die naturally instead of keeping them alive on all these drugs. My mother for example, would not be alive today if she didn't take a handfull of pills everyday for her heart condition, its just the same as Terri's case except Terri needs more medical attention due to her condition. This is a very controversial subject and I can understand how her husband feels, but at the same time I feel that it is wrong to let her die.
BimmerBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:13 PM   #7
Polish
6th Gear Member
 
Polish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Hamilton Ontario
Posts: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBlonde
I'm in the middle on this subject, however, if they let her die then they should stop prescribing medications to millions of people for various illnesses and just "let" them die naturally instead of keeping them alive on all these drugs. My mother for example, would not be alive today if she didn't take a handfull of pills everyday for her heart condition, its just the same as Terri's case except Terri needs more medical attention due to her condition. This is a very controversial subject and I can understand how her husband feels, but at the same time I feel that it is wrong to let her die.

very true, but ur mom is able to do all the things she wants, not just lie in bed and not even say a word, just jolt when she sees you or something... like clearly giving medication and keeping someone alive as they live their lives and react to society is amazing... but then giving medication to somone who is laying in a bed for 10 years never improving with a tube in your stomach is totally different..
Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 04:36 PM   #8
BimmerBlonde
2nd Gear Member
 
BimmerBlonde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Etobicoke
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish
very true, but ur mom is able to do all the things she wants, not just lie in bed and not even say a word, just jolt when she sees you or something... like clearly giving medication and keeping someone alive as they live their lives and react to society is amazing... but then giving medication to somone who is laying in a bed for 10 years never improving with a tube in your stomach is totally different..
Yes I agree, but who are we to decide the "difference" ?? Maybe she will recover one day? Doctors don't know anything nowadays anyway and they are very narrow minded when practicing medicine, for example, they disregard anything to do with alternative medicine, supernatural healing, and even miracles, they're not even trained in illness prevention - all they are good at is prescribing a bunch of chemicals (from pharmaceutical companies that offer them incentives) and the first question out of their mouth whether you have drug insurance not how are you feeling. So I wouldn't trust any doctor with my life.
BimmerBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 05:58 PM   #9
Jari
4th Gear Member
 
Jari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Beeton ON
Posts: 672
[QUOTE=BimmerBlonde]Yes I agree, but who are we to decide the "difference" ??

She breaths on her own, regulates her own heartbeat, all her major organs work fine, and they estimate her brain is working at 25% capacity. Who are we as a society to decide what quality of life is worth saving and what is worth terminating. Terri's parents are not only willing to care for her, but are eager to do so. Sadly, it looks like those who want her dead are about to have their wish granted.
Jari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:23 PM   #10
moerom
6th Gear Member
 
moerom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Thornhill
Posts: 1,596
I believe that the best solution would be to have her under watch, to guard against abuse from her husband. That way she could be alive and safe. KILLING her to 'solve' her problems is presumptuous. Even if she is not as 'conscious' as the rest of us, that does not give anyone the right to say that her life is worth less than someone else's.

Here's the bottom line: no one has the right to take a life. There is no way that her reactions from those videos are fake and/or meaningless as CNN and other media outlets portray them.

This is going to open up an enormous can of worms in the U.S., and will set the precedent for more unethical acts.

It seems society is becoming less and less aware of how far beyond decency it really is. Since when did people believe that someone's life is a debateable issue?

Last edited by moerom; 03-26-2005 at 07:26 PM.
moerom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 12:13 AM   #11
uber e36
6th Gear Member
 
uber e36's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,051
I had this discussion at lunch at work the other day... I'm with BimmerBlonde on this one...
__________________
Daily: '06 S4
Wife: '05 X5 4.4i
Fun: '95 325is
uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 01:40 AM   #12
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by moerom
Here's the bottom line: no one has the right to take a life.
Here's where I stand on this. My main source of inner conflict on this issue is not just whether or not they should take her life. I am against euthanasia. I am against HELPING someone die. But... she would not be alive without help that's the difference. If someone needs help to live, is it the same if you simply stop helping? Do we have the duty as intelligent beings to help our sick to live if we know we can? IE, does it then, become as big a sin to look away and not help them live if you know you can, as to kill them outright...?

A lot of people say, if I was like that I'd want the plug pulled. Or that if someone's in constant pain, then "mercy killing" is the GOOD thing to do. And part of me agrees with that. But then another part, says I'm sitting here all comfortable, painfree and healthy, philosophizing about the state of another person that I have NO idea about... who am I to even think I have any right to an opinion one way or another.

So I guess at the moment I have to say that it is our responsibility as human beings to do what we can to keep her alive. It is not our right to decide if she should live or die. We can help her, that's all we know and that's all we have a right to decide on. And if you can help, then you help.

(but in a few minutes if I think about it I might change my mind and say that as intelligent beings, it is our duty to help someone end their suffering painlessly, because unlike the rest of the animal kingdom, we KNOW that they are suffering and we know we can help...)
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 03:31 AM   #13
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member
 
Deep 3.2TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Milton
Posts: 3,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari
She breaths on her own, regulates her own heartbeat, all her major organs work fine, and they estimate her brain is working at 25% capacity. Who are we as a society to decide what quality of life is worth saving and what is worth terminating. Terri's parents are not only willing to care for her, but are eager to do so. Sadly, it looks like those who want her dead are about to have their wish granted.
Who are we as a society to ARTFICIALLY prolong her life. She can't feed herself. She doesn't understand many simple concepts. If this were 50 years ago in the medical technology, she would not have survived to now.

This all fits with my philosophical theory on Doctors and their effect on society, overpopulation and the general downfall of the global economic and a self sustaining environment.

Deep
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 03:41 AM   #14
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member
 
Deep 3.2TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Milton
Posts: 3,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona
This story is getting abit more complicated than expected...Im for the rights of a individual to choose their fate under terminal cases,where the right to choose overrides the ethnic rights to live...but stories of abuse by her husband and his previous infidelities is coming to light...scans indicated that she had over four healed fractures and numberous blunt force tissue damaged from the last 9 years..this is clear indication of abuse.The husband only recently took over the guardian rights of this saga...what is his motives?This is a not only about right to die arguments but is the husband motives more than for Terri benefit or is he hiding the fact of the abuse?..there is even whispers of offers to produce this sorry mess,also the monetary aspect of his actions...this could only happen in the United States
It's all very convenient how his "abuse", "neglect" and "infidelity" is NOW coming to light as they have lost ALL hope from every court in the country. They have lost everything and they think that after 15 years like this she can recover. Give me a break. I know one thing - my parents don't know how I feel on this subject, but my spouse sure as hell does. Why? Because this is something you discuss with a spouse, not neccessarily your parents.

Her husband could simply MOVE ON and divorce Terri, if that's all he was after, a long time ago. I do believe that he's acting on her wishes and letting her go to a better place. My wife and I have put on to paper that should a persistant vegetative state take over our lives where we had less than 50% brain capacity and for a period of longer than 2 years without significant improvement, that artificial life support be removed and we be allowed to die naturally.

It's very important that you do this. You don't need to have it on paper, you could simply video tape your own statement and have it kept for posterity. Of course if you are going to do that, put it on DVD as they degrade alot less quickly than video tape.

Deep
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 03:47 AM   #15
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member
 
Deep 3.2TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Milton
Posts: 3,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBlonde
I'm in the middle on this subject, however, if they let her die then they should stop prescribing medications to millions of people for various illnesses and just "let" them die naturally instead of keeping them alive on all these drugs. My mother for example, would not be alive today if she didn't take a handfull of pills everyday for her heart condition, its just the same as Terri's case except Terri needs more medical attention due to her condition. This is a very controversial subject and I can understand how her husband feels, but at the same time I feel that it is wrong to let her die.
Does your mother walk on her own two feet? Does she feed herself? Can she converse with you?

Without answering these kind of questions, how can you say you have a similar situation at home. Provide a full frame of reference only then can you tell us that you are in the same situation. I don't know, but I have a strong feeling in your case that the answer to the questions is yes. If that the case, you have NOTHING like the situation in Florida now...

Deep
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2017