Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2002, 12:15 AM   #211
DaveM3
3rd Gear Member

Re: Re: To all you haters and doubters.......again.

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga

Never driven 3.0l, but IMO more torque - better.
Yes there is no chips for ODBI but you can always rewrite ODBII settings, so it is not a big problem. And if you really want mods, you can ODBI your ODBII engine.
Hmm I beg to differ..
coz I got one!!
Yes its OBD I and yes its a chip.. by Jim conforti
Old 09-10-2002, 12:21 AM   #212
SickFinga

Re: Re: Re: To all you haters and doubters.......again.

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveM3

Hmm I beg to differ..
coz I got one!!
Yes its OBD I and yes its a chip.. by Jim conforti
Dave let's exchange our cars
You will try 4 door 3.2l m3, I will try 2 door 3.0l m3
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 12:43 AM   #213
DaveM3
3rd Gear Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: To all you haters and doubters.......again.

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga

Dave let's exchange our cars
You will try 4 door 3.2l m3, I will try 2 door 3.0l m3
Sure thing
I've driven one before and to be honest I dont feel the difference
Maybe it's just me.. *drunk*
Old 09-10-2002, 10:17 AM   #214
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Re: OBD11

Quote:
Originally posted by Rehman
Oh by the way, Bad Karma, you made some valid points about the OBD11 system vs the OBD1 system, however, they could have stayed with a 3.0L motor and used the OBD11 system and still got the 240HP, they wanted to appease the American public as I had said and "bumped" up the motor size to 3.2L.Have you ever driven a 3.0L M3? Wouldn't you agree it is much more fun to drive than the 3.2L cars? Easier to "do up" as well in terms of performance. You cannot buy a "chip" for the OBD11 system, whereas with the 3.0L motors you could "chip" them and do all sorts of other mods. And about not getting the Lightweight M3 here, true, but you could always bring one up from the US.
Perhaps, but it was much easier for BMW to stroke the 3.0L motor to 3.2L and keep the 240 HP that way. Remember, it's NOT the same motor as the Euro M3's; it's essentially the *son of M50*.... Remember, they were also stroking the 3.0L EURO motor at the same time to 3.2L, to compensate for the OBD-II conversion as well.

I've driven both cars, and to be perfectly honest, I would take the 3.2L US spec motor over the 3.0L US spec motor; more bottom end torque, and once you do the OBD-I conversion, it's easier to modify.

The 3.0L EURO motor is a different story however. I'd gladly take the 3.0L EURO motor over the 3.2L US spec motor anyday. It's more willing to rev, builds more of it's power way up high in the RPM band where I use it, and doesn't run out of breath like the US spec 3.0 / 3.2L motors do (they don't have a lot left after 6500 RPM).

As to the M3 LTW, it was never available here in Canada, which makes licensing one a nightmare. Also, the high residual value (in US dollars) makes buying one and importing it into Canada for any purpose OTHER than as a collector's item is a waste of money. It's possible to buy / build a more complete car for far less money than buying an M3 LTW.

Many of the factory LTW parts are NLA, so one is forced to look at knock-offs anyway (such as the splitter and rear wing).

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 02:14 PM   #215
SickFinga

Re: Re: OBD11

Quote:
Originally posted by Bad-Karma

Perhaps, but it was much easier for BMW to stroke the 3.0L motor to 3.2L and keep the 240 HP that way. Remember, it's NOT the same motor as the Euro M3's; it's essentially the *son of M50*.... Remember, they were also stroking the 3.0L EURO motor at the same time to 3.2L, to compensate for the OBD-II conversion as well.

As to the M3 LTW, it was never available here in Canada, which makes licensing one a nightmare. Also, the high residual value (in US dollars) makes buying one and importing it into Canada for any purpose OTHER than as a collector's item is a waste of money. It's possible to buy / build a more complete car for far less money than buying an M3 LTW.

Many of the factory LTW parts are NLA, so one is forced to look at knock-offs anyway (such as the splitter and rear wing).

Pat
Pat, buti in europe they did not only compensate for ODBII, they also added horses, from 286hp to 321hp.(not bad I must say)

and don't you think that LTW M3 is US SPEC M3 GT????
I dunno what in GT, but in LTW they added spoilers, added best built engines, so it is basically the same engine except they have best built engines, they removed AC, and put cloth seats.
Is there anything else???
What's in GT?? They added like 10-15hps??
what do you think??
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: