Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-26-2001, 12:22 PM   #1
Bliss
Administrator

Auto-X

I was wondering who auto-x here, and got a question...is it better to have low profile tires or high profile? Is it possible to damage rims doing so on low pro?

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 12:39 PM   #2
Gamite

I want high profile so it fills up my wheel wells

as for performance, /me dun no.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 02:06 PM   #3
vodomagoo
2nd Gear Member

i will be auto xing this comming spring, dpends on the tire, i am gonna be running the stock 14's with some r compund tire possiable and there 205 55 14 so there somewhat high profile, whats more imporant is the type of tire your using weather it is a all season summer or race tire
Old 12-31-2001, 02:46 PM   #4
straight_6
2nd Gear Member

Thats a good one. I have used my stock 195-60 14s and my
215-40 16s. With the 16s it was a little more of a ruff ride during hard cornering and i noticed that the 14s gave me more under steer, but it might have been because i had the tire pressures set for the track (on the 14s).
As for damaging your rim, can't see that happening. I have been in cars with 18s using 35 profile tires and really stiff suspenion and there was no problems.
straight_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 12:37 PM   #5
E30 Stu
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to E30 Stu
I used 195/65/14 Kelly Charger "shitbag" tires for a while, and they sucked ass for autocrossing. I then tried 185/60 yokohama A008RSII's, which were better but not wide enough so they broke loose a lot. Next season I am going to use 225/50/14 Hoosier Road Race compounds.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:43 AM   #6
SJTrance
1st Gear Newbie

I autocross with my 225/40/18" tires and have no problem what so ever. It really depends on the autox track or parking lot. If there are some trouble spots with nasty pot holes, yes, you should not use your expensive 18" wheels. Otherwise, lightweight 17" wheels with quality tires are much better for performance. You're gonna get more contact patch and stiffer side walls with a low profile tire. Plus, it's good to have more rubber in the rear depending on what car you have. Next time, I'd like to buy some 245/35/18's in the rear and 235/40/18's in the front. But I don't know about the availability of those tires sizes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: