Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-12-2005, 02:21 PM   #1
SebSter
6th Gear Member

Cheapest paintjob available?

K guys this spring might be the time. My clear coat is chipping, rust spots are coming out, I need a respray.

Im gonna take care of the rust and everything first, obviously.. but im wondering where I can get the cheapest paintjob? Im not gonna redo it in DiamantShwartz, Im just gonna do it in a glossy simple black. I dont need any fancy or quality paintjob, just something half decent that will shine and look allright.

I was considering just getting maaco to do it, I know you guys are opposed to that, but in all honesty i dont care, im not making a show car, I just want it to look decent for the last couple of years im gonna be driving it.

Basically my question is if you guys know any places that would be even cheaper? Im gonna need to redo the whole car basically, i *could* take care of the rust myself, though i would rather have the shop do it (if its not too expensive).

Please keep your biases to yourself, I dont need a knockout job, basically I just need the cheapest color (closest to diamantshwartz so that i wouldnt have to repaint the interior/underhood/trunk/etc) and a place that would do it the cheapest, but not like SERIOUSLY handicapped (like patchy and discolored).

I guess any input is welcome.. would prefer no "dont take it to ghetto ass places".. "if you cant afford to do it right dont do it".. cause this car is most likely gonna die with me.. im gonna drive it till it cant no more, then it will be parted. So, I just want a half decent paintjob so it looks somewhat nice.

Thanks,
SEb

Old car 1990 325ix. Current car 2000 540i.
SebSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 03:44 PM   #2
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Maaco did some work for me a while back. It looked good, but spots started to show 4 months later. I let it go, but they kept getting worse. Almost a year later, I had to take it back. They fixed it no charge. Apparently, they honour a lifetime warranty. Keep the receipt!

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 06:03 PM   #3
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to RevShoT
ever consider renting a booth ($100) and trying it yourself?

what have u got to loose?

practice on sum cheap ass beater car or on sum scrap metal first

i painted my buddy's Jimmy, my mustang and my friends mustang

its not that hard really just gotta take your time and dont goop it on, several thin coats is better then 1 big coat
paint will run you about 150 bucks, gun rental mabey 50 booth 100

Last edited by RevShoT; 02-12-2005 at 06:05 PM.
RevShoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 09:34 PM   #4
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Guys in some rice magazine repainted a 2002 Subaru WRX in flat black with rattle cans in a garage. Apparently trick was to heat up the cans in hot water to get a finer mist. Wouldn't mind seeing the finished thing is person.............
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 09:35 PM   #5
sloveniaboy
6th Gear Member

saw this as well, didn't turn out bad at all
Old 02-13-2005, 09:37 PM   #6
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
u get wat u pay for.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:53 PM   #7
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiMMie
u get wat u pay for.
No shit? That doesn't help him out.

Sebster I got my car resprayed for 1800 bucks. It's not a suberb job but its not terrible either. I got it done at RS auto 18 Taber RD 416 744 2246 2 year warrenty on paint, no warrenty on Rust Repari though.

I didn't get any overspray or anything bad like that, undercoated my fenders and stuff for free, only parts I was never too satisfied on was
-the hood wasn't prepped right and on certian angles you can see wierd marks in it
-they broke a lot of the clips for the mouldings and siliconed the back on but it didnt take so great for all of them so when some fell off took paint with it

My advice whevever you go, take off all your mouldings and shit yourself and put them back on yourself. Fix all of the rust spots yourself to the best of your ability before to keep costs down.

Good luck.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 10:05 PM   #8
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevShoT
ever consider renting a booth ($100) and trying it yourself?

what have u got to loose?

practice on sum cheap ass beater car or on sum scrap metal first

i painted my buddy's Jimmy, my mustang and my friends mustang

its not that hard really just gotta take your time and dont goop it on, several thin coats is better then 1 big coat
paint will run you about 150 bucks, gun rental mabey 50 booth 100

Prices i GTA are a bit higher, but still a good alternative. Altho I would NOT recomand him going it (painting), do all the work, rent the boot AND get a painter to spray it (anthing from $100 to $300 would get you profesional results). I have a friend that has a full shop like that; spray boot is $80 first hour, and $50 after that...You can also rent bays, hoist, welder, tools, anything you can think of...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 11:09 PM   #9
E36 Power
DEFINE GF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle
Prices i GTA are a bit higher, but still a good alternative. Altho I would NOT recomand him going it (painting), do all the work, rent the boot AND get a painter to spray it (anthing from $100 to $300 would get you profesional results). I have a friend that has a full shop like that; spray boot is $80 first hour, and $50 after that...You can also rent bays, hoist, welder, tools, anything you can think of...
Hm i might be intersted in renting out the hoist for a while for my car ...need a bit more info on it Fil..thanks
Old 02-13-2005, 11:36 PM   #10
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Power
Hm i might be intersted in renting out the hoist for a while for my car ...need a bit more info on it Fil..thanks

Sure, the place is in Brampton, at 25 Rutherford Rd #8, and you can call at 905 455-8126, talk to Albert.

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
Old 02-13-2005, 11:44 PM   #11
E36 Power
DEFINE GF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle
Sure, the place is in Brampton, at 25 Rutherford Rd #8, and you can call at 905 455-8126, talk to Albert.

Do you know some of the prices tho just a bit by chance
Old 02-13-2005, 11:51 PM   #12
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Power
Do you know some of the prices tho just a bit by chance

Yes, altho its been a long time sicne checked so it might have gone up (as everything now a days...). Bay rental was $5/hour, and hoist was $15...The owner is great to deal with (BIG bmw fan, owns quite a few!) and prices could be flexible...(tell him i sent you!)

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
Old 02-14-2005, 12:54 AM   #13
NickP

I would also recommend doing as much of the prep work as possible on the car to lower the price - stuff like removing lights, molding, windshield, emblems etc.

Its all not that hard and it really makes a big difference, especially when people don't mask properly.
NickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:05 AM   #14
SebSter
6th Gear Member

hmm, thanks a lot for the replies guys.. i was hoping to get something for under a grand, but i guess thats not looking too likely is it?

yeah i would do most of the prepping myself, like taking off the mouldings, trims, lights, emblems.. dunno about taking out the windshield i wouldnt really trust myself with that

i suppose i could do the sanding down too, and the rust repair though im not too sure what that involves but im sure i can figure it out. im gonna check out some places, ive gotten some reccomended, and im also gonna go by maaco and see (i remember seeing something about a special they had on full repaints for somewhere aroudn 800 or so, i could just be imagining though) but if they do, and they warranty their work, i dont see how i could go too wrong with that.

thanks for the replies guys and keep em coming

Old car 1990 325ix. Current car 2000 540i.
SebSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:57 PM   #15
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to RevShoT
i can paint er up and prep it for you for $300?

wont be the worlds best job but we can make it look good
RevShoT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: