Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-14-2002, 01:27 AM   #16
MPRESION
5th Gear Member

I'm in. Just for curiosity though because my car is pretty much stock (engine wise... other then the exhaust)
MPRESION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 04:08 AM   #17
Gamite

I'm intersted, but my car is close to stock, maybe come summer time, I'll have my JimC and my intake.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 07:26 AM   #18
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Re: Randy..

Quote:
Originally posted by ROB89M3
Everyone I talk to that has done a 2.5 conversion tells me that it has 265hp at the crank!
Even Bavarian Motors tells me the same thing...that's why I say I have 265hp at the cran...I did not dyno my car yet,so therefore I do not know what my car has at the wheel!!

..we shall see

oh and by the way,I do think that $8000 will give the car 70 extra horsepower by doing the conversion....we'll leave it at that

Gee,

I hate to burst your bubble there Rob, but my friend Andrew has a Dinan Stroked 2.5L S14 and (they claimed also 265HP) it dynoed at 201 at the wheels (240 crank for those who like to throw big numbers)..... Think about it, Even the BMW M3EVO III had 238HP.... why the hell would your 13 year old (Bavarian Built too) M3 have 27HP more that that?

Get Real!*drunk*

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:35 AM   #19
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
I'd have to agree with Randy...

On this one as well. John is claiming nearly 300 HP in his car, but with all the work he's done on it, I figure he's is at about 260-270 HP (crank) at best. And that's with about $20,000 dropped into the engine ($3000 for head work alone).

Mike Booker (I hate spelling his last name....) is running about 300 HP out of an S14 engine, and gets by on 2 or 3 rebuilds a year. Yes, that motor is rebuilt 2 or 3 times a year. Sure, he runs it hard, and it's only run at Club Races, but the reality is the same.

265 HP is possible with your block, but as Randy says, results at the wheel(s) is the only stat that matters. Drivetrain losses from one vehicle to the next can vary quite a bit.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 09:36 PM   #20
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

25 HP for a chip?

Not likely. 25 HP for a chip is pretty exaggerated. Chips are great on a engine that is sandbagging it quite a bit, like the 3.2L US spec motors. Even the 2.5 / 2.8L motors respond quite well to chips, since they also have a lot of headroom in them. Even then, 25 HP out of a chip is highly unlikely. You can get 20-25 HP out of a 3.2L block with an OBDI conversion, a chip AND intake and exhaust. That's pretty much max, and we're dealing with significantly more displacement.

But the S14 motor is running on the ragged edge when you start to push it. 265HP is highly suspect (no offense, and I'm more than happy to see it at the dyno day...but I'd bet against it).

Mike's running 300 HP, and that's with Alpha N intake, and no airflow meter. His engine has also grenaded 3 times this year due to it. Yes, it makes great power, but also sacrifices reliability to do so. I'd seriously doubt yours is pushing 265HP if it's any flavour of reliable. John's motor died this year, and that's running just track days as well.

My best guess is 240-250 max out of your motor. However, being the bugger I am, I'm willing to stake a beer on the claim and will gladly pay up if I see otherwise at the dyno day.

Pat
Old 01-14-2002, 10:06 PM   #21
Usic
2nd Gear Member

Location: T.O. actually in a little town called King township.
When is this "great" dyno day?
I need to put my car together before i can go
Usic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 10:34 PM   #22
Bliss
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Usic
When is this "great" dyno day?
I need to put my car together before i can go
The date isnt set yet, but its gonna be in the spring/summer so im sure you'll have time.

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 04:01 AM   #23
ThE bRoWn GuY
2nd Gear Member

Cant wait!!
ThE bRoWn GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 04:04 AM   #24
Gamite

Re: 25 HP for a chip?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bad-Karma
Not likely. 25 HP for a chip is pretty exaggerated.
You think 25 is exaggerated? they say I get 41! LOL

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 09:02 AM   #25
EMPOWERD

Rob,

You're bang on when you say everyone's lying about the power figures..... those numbers are never backed up.... if they were accurate in any way, it would be a figure at the wheels. You car also doesn''t have bored T-Bodies, aftermarket header... I bet you don't even know the specs on your cams (if you even have any)..... I've driven your can and also driven mine (dynoed at 222.9 at the wheels) and I'm pretty sure my car will take yours hands down in any race (without the blower)..... I guess only time will tell.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 01-15-2002, 10:00 AM   #26
djc0ntra

oooh, do i detect a challenge?
Tell me when and where, i wanna see this =)
Old 01-15-2002, 11:18 AM   #27
EMPOWERD

The dyno figures I achieved (222.9rwHP) was with a stock motor (well, a few bolt-ons)... now that I've sunk another $10,000 into it with the cams, blower, aftercooler, headwork...... I seriously don't think it would be a fair challenge. I don't want to be like some people and start throwing numbers around, but another 85HP at the wheels should sound right about now.... As long as I break the 300rwHP mark, I'll be happy. I guess we'll find out at the dyno day.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 01-15-2002, 12:16 PM   #28
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Here is an interesting dyno showing that it's not that easy to archive 10HP just by adding K&N filter as a lot of magazines claim. Another point to consider is that one day your car can dyno at 220hp, and next day at 210hp under identical weather conditions and temperature, all because of the stupid OBD-II and adaptation. So jump from joy all of you with OBDI.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dyno.jpg (88.1 KB, 93 views)
KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 06:38 PM   #29
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Forget the 24 hours at LeMans...

Try just a 1 hour Enduro race....

Sitting in a car driving in a full fledged race for a full hour takes a lot more out of a person than one might think...

I used to race F-2000 cars, (one season only) and a 1 hour Enduro is nearly mind-numbing. It's a busy time, because unlike a driving school event, you NEVER have a chance to sit back and relax (such as the back straight at Mosport...).

Back on to the topic however, racing is one of those things in which a car that is well set up for straight line isn't generally one that is well set up for the track. Randy has some serious HP advantages over yours, but I do have to question the long term reliability of the blower setup. Not because there is anything wrong with yours Randy, but simply that too many people I know have had long term reliability problems (in track and/or race cars).

As a primarily *street* machine, forced air shouldn't represent any reliability issues.

Nonetheless, 300 RWHP in a car that probably weighs 2900 lbs or so is an interesting idea....I'm guessing, as I'm not sure how much your car weighs at the moment. (They were roughly 2750 lbs stock, but with the addition of the cage / stereo and likely removal of stock seats, and some interior pieces has changed that).

I don't recall, but did you put a cage in your Rob? As well, how much did you strip out of it? The E30 325 isn't much heavier (stock) than the E30 M3, and both cars can be stripped down to 2300-2400 lbs without much problem.

Pat
Old 01-16-2002, 01:33 AM   #30
EMPOWERD

Pat and Rob,

The only problem I'm encountering is wheelspin. I'm actually really big on weight savings and went through a lot to save a pound here and a pound there. Remember, the car was a shell when I started and I personally ripped out all the factory carpet, insulation, trunk dynamat, heater core, A/C components... even my windshield washer resevoir. The carpet in now is cheap automotive grade (read: thin!) stuff bought at Canadian Tire just to cover the steel floor.... hell, I can still hear every stone hitting the fenders when I roll through the paddocks after some hot laps. With the 18's, stereo, and gas (street form) the car weighs at the truck scales 2780lbs.... on the track I might shave a few with my 9lb race wheels and stereo box removed (small: 1 cu ft). I know very well that an inexpensive secret to speed is weight reduction!.... I love it when people like you Rob think the car weighs a ton with the cage and stuff.... if only you knew what's under the pretty skin!

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: