Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-08-2005, 06:11 PM   #1
uber e36
6th Gear Member

Thoughts of MOMO non-airbag steering wheel?

What are your feelings about switching from a stock airbag wheel to a MOMO wheel without bag? Should this only be done if you have a race seat with the race belts?

I didn't know my steering wheel could fetch this much on ebay: (not mine, just same wheel) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33704
uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:11 PM   #2
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to RevShoT
i have a momo race wheel bought it and havent looked bad, sooo much nicer then my stock wheel and no airbag (but 92 bad no air bag n e way)
RevShoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

Airbags save lives. I wouldn't forego the airbag for looks.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:19 PM   #4
Gamite

In all honesty, I had this dilema before, but one day, we were discharging airbags at work (cuz you have to discharge it before you throw them away). And let me tell u, it has totally changed the way I look at airbags.

airbags are f_cking scary man!!!

Its incredibly loud, and the reaction is crazy, the airbag is also very hot because of the chemical reaction that occurs. If you have your hand over your steering wheel, the airbag can blow your arm right into your face.

I gladly would like to replace my wheel with a momo.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:21 PM   #5
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

its not just looks, the wheel is 350mm which is small then stock, so its not like your turning a boat wheel also the feel is a hell of a lot better, the wheel is thicker better for grip

Last edited by RevShoT; 02-08-2005 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:28 PM   #6
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite
In all honesty, I had this dilema before, but one day, we were discharging airbags at work (cuz you have to discharge it before you throw them away). And let me tell u, it has totally changed the way I look at airbags.

airbags are f_cking scary man!!!

Its incredibly loud, and the reaction is crazy, the airbag is also very hot because of the chemical reaction that occurs. If you have your hand over your steering wheel, the airbag can blow your arm right into your face.

I gladly would like to replace my wheel with a momo.
we set off an airbag in my old shop class, we put it upside down and set it off, it just about hit the ceiling and that was a good 15-20ft in the air!!!
Old 02-08-2005, 07:36 PM   #7
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

I know a couple of friends who had experienced an airbag in the face...it all happens very fast, for a second you'll think you've blacked out, but that just you sinking into the bag. When everything settles down, you'll realize, that didn't hurt that bad.

As compared to someone else I know, who has a permanent cresent shaped scar on his head...

u'r call
Old 02-08-2005, 07:41 PM   #8
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact
I know a couple of friends who had experienced an airbag in the face...it all happens very fast, for a second you'll think you've blacked out, but that just you sinking into the bag. When everything settles down, you'll realize, that didn't hurt that bad.

As compared to someone else I know, who has a permanent cresent shaped scar on his head...

u'r call
try tellin that to the numerous people who broke their necks due to an airbag in an otherwise not fatal crash
Old 02-08-2005, 07:54 PM   #9
bubsy12
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to bubsy12 Send a message via AIM to bubsy12
Watch for legal issues as well, any car that comes equipped with a stock wheel airbag MUST have one in it... you will get tagged by cops if they see you without one.

2008 Toyota Rav4 V6 AWD Sport - Daily Driver -

www.SpoolnU.com - ALPHA. SIGMA. BOOST.
bubsy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 09:27 PM   #10
uber e36
6th Gear Member

hmmm....

I tend to think that airbags help more than they hurt. But my car b4 the e36 wasn't equipped with one, so it's not like i haven't driven in a non-airbag equipped car before. I'm also not worried about the police.

And I do like the idea of a smaller diameter of the wheel.

But I wonder if your insurance could screw you if you got in an accident and they found out you took it out?

-Geoff
uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 09:34 PM   #11
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

insurance screws u anyway in an accident.. does does it really matter? lol
Old 02-08-2005, 10:01 PM   #12
golden
Doesn't have a car.

i had a airbag deployed on me

you dont notice it... and trust me, im 100% glad i had it.. or itd be my head on the steering wheel. whoever thinks they arent worthwhile, your kidding yourself.

your "testing" in a garage doesn't really counter-balance years of research and billions of dollars spent by the car manufacturers
Old 02-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #13
qwk325
6th Gear Member

I ve replaced my stock wheel with a momo and I love it only draw back is the damn air bag light stays lit if anyone figures out how to shut it off gladly reply other than that I love it.

COME ON DOWN !!!!
qwk325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:14 PM   #14
EstorilM3
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsy12
Watch for legal issues as well, any car that comes equipped with a stock wheel airbag MUST have one in it... you will get tagged by cops if they see you without one.
Can you tell us which section of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act is being contravened by removing the air bag?

As far as I can tell, it does not prohibit their removal - it only speaks about rebuilt airbags - is there another Ontario Statue which probits their removal?

Insurance is a whole 'nother matter. Imagine if you cracked your head in a collision, and they found out you removed the bag?
I think you'd have one helluva a headache for rest of your life!

Last edited by EstorilM3; 02-08-2005 at 10:16 PM.
EstorilM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:19 AM   #15
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
It is not illegal to remove your airbag. I've been pulled over a few times and never been charged for not having an airbag.

Vito, regarding the SRS light, do what i did, just pull the cluster and remove the bulb. Simple.

I have a 320mm Momo wheel, I love it, small and very quick steering. It's awesome for auto-xing.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: