Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-18-2005, 04:04 PM   #16
djtbster
R/C JUNKIE

Send a message via MSN to djtbster
dont you ahve to bolt the rear can to the nipple, and do u hvae to drill through the entire lower controll arm and use like a 6-7 inch bolt???, cuz that control arm is pretty damn chuncky ???
Old 01-18-2005, 08:38 PM   #17
theNoiseJava
2nd Gear Member

You do not have to weld a new perch on the front. The front is extremely easy, almost bolt on. Just cut the stock spring seat off but make sure to leave some lip for the coilover to sit on. Put everything back together and you're done. I used a 6 inch electric cutting wheel and it took me maybe 5 minutes.

On the rear you have to bore out the sleeve a little to fit on the trailing arm nipple. I used a drill press and really sharp bit to bore it out enough. You also have to drill a hole through the nipple and through the trailing arm(control arm). Use a 7 inch bolt and put it through the trailing arm from the bottom, and bolt it into the sleeve. Install the rest of the coilover and thats all.

I don't have any pics of the rear or of the car yet. I will be doing a writeup when I get some time to take some pics of the rear. Your car will be slammed if you drop the coils all the way down. The ride is pretty good as long as you have good shocks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg obx-1.jpg (74.8 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg obx-2.JPG (78.6 KB, 100 views)
Old 01-18-2005, 08:51 PM   #18
theNoiseJava
2nd Gear Member

Here are some pics with the rear coils all the way up and with the front coils almost all the way up (maybe .5 in down). With the coils all the way down its like this, minus about 3 inches. And no, I don't drive around with a red bumper, that was on there for the pics because I am trying to sell the bumper.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg car-1.JPG (71.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg car-2.JPG (35.7 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by theNoiseJava; 01-18-2005 at 09:50 PM.
theNoiseJava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 09:44 PM   #19
djtbster
R/C JUNKIE

wat kind of shocks are u running, and wat part of the can do u bore out, ill be taking apart the rear to see how the rear would fit, and wat did u use to drill through the rear trailing arm, cuz if im gonna do this my self im doing it whiel the tailing arm is on
Old 01-18-2005, 09:58 PM   #20
theNoiseJava
2nd Gear Member

I am running Spax shocks from a VSX kit. You'll have to bore out enough of the can for it to fit over the nipple. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get in there. I used an air powered drill to go through the trailing arm but you could just use a cordless drill. When you are drilling through the trailing arm, start at the nipple and drill down to make sure the can will be bolted in the right place.
The whole install doesn't take too long. Expect to spend maybe 5 hours if its your first time taking apart the e30 suspension.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:02 PM   #21
djtbster
R/C JUNKIE

lol im picking up a pair of used front struts, and im gonna work with thoose and modify them, and just swap them over to the car, as for the rear, i might tackle the rear this weekend, were did u get the bolt, i might to to a brofasco over by my place and ask them to hook me up with a set of bolt thats ike one level stronger than the kit came with
Old 01-18-2005, 10:15 PM   #22
theNoiseJava
2nd Gear Member

I bought the bolt at Lowes for 84 cent. It is a 7 inch grade 8. I forgot the thread, you'll have to take the can with you to match the threads up.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:18 PM   #23
djtbster
R/C JUNKIE

is it a fully threaded bolt or just the tip is headed, i gotta get my self a long 9 inch drill bit lol, i still gotta find the size of the drill bit aswell
Old 01-19-2005, 09:37 AM   #24
theNoiseJava
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtbster
is it a fully threaded bolt or just the tip is headed, i gotta get my self a long 9 inch drill bit lol, i still gotta find the size of the drill bit aswell
It is threaded a little more than halfway. You wont need a 9 inch drill bit. The trailing arm is hollow, just drill throught the top, then drill through the bottom.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:05 AM   #25
djtbster
R/C JUNKIE

the rear isnt to bad, the front is somting else though lol. ill research it more. or i might just get someone to install it for me

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: