Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-12-2005, 09:12 PM   #1
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to RevShoT
thought on a fuel cell?

im going to have to drop my exhaust again, im going to put new subframe bushings in as well as re-enforce the plates, i was thinking while im at it drop the gas tank and run a small fuel cell in the trunk

i could save sum weight oviously but in regards to the sending unit, i know our cars have 2 (one on the right and one on the left of the tank)

do u have to bridge these 2 together to get the sending unit in the fuel cell to work properly?
RevShoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:57 PM   #2
jeffrie
Addict

The gas tank may be 5 lbs their really light, better to just run it on empty then go through the hassel of a fuel cell.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:37 AM   #3
NB Euro Direct
1st Gear Newbie

actually when full the gas tank is located a little behind the rear wheels...
OVERHANGS
#1 reason why ppl who race put a fuel cell is because they need to have the fuel packed and in a place where it's not a overhang
Helps a lot while cornering
if you going to put it in the trunk save the hassle (centering it a bit won't help you out(unless for winter traction
NB Euro Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:45 PM   #4
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

so where would u suggest i put it?
Old 01-13-2005, 03:00 PM   #5
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevShoT
so where would u suggest i put it?
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
wat the big deal on fuel cell? once intalled does use some type of different fuel? have heard this bein used in numerous race cars. can someone please explain to me.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:15 PM   #7
jeffrie
Addict

I thought it was purly for High speed racing safty regulations, nothing more.
Do know that fuel cells are made to not breach in a crash and torch the driver, or spill fuel on a race track causing others to crash.
Geuss theirs another reason I don't know of.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:27 PM   #8
1BADRIDE
TECHGURU

Send a message via MSN to 1BADRIDE
A fuel cell is an aluminum box with a BAG in it. The bag holds the fuel.

There are a number of purposes for having a fuel cell.

1. Safety
2. Reduced weight
3. Less weight shift

Running a fuel cell INSIDE a car will make the car ILLEGAL on the street. Also, running a large fuel cell (they are usually SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than a typical fuel tank) inside the car means mounting it in the trunk area. This will RAISE the centre of gravity slightly. Fuel cells are NOT maintenance free.

Unless there is a specific requirement for running a fuel cell (i.e. to pass tech @ a track), don't.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:48 PM   #9
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

i was going to place it where the spare tire goes, nice and low and extra weight over the rear wheels?

not a good ideA?
Old 01-13-2005, 06:46 PM   #10
1BADRIDE
TECHGURU

Send a message via MSN to 1BADRIDE
What are you planning to do with your car? Unless you are building a track-only car, I would highly recommend you stick with the stock tank.

You will also have to fill up quite often.

Like I mentioned earlier, I do NOT recommend running a fuel cell UNLESS it is REQUIRED. Fuel cell in a street vehicle is ILLEGAL. When you move fuel or catalyst to the INSIDE of the vehicle, most insurance policies are also null and void.

Again, don't - unless you absolutely HAVE to. (Don't do it to a street vehicle).
Old 01-13-2005, 06:48 PM   #11
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

i guess i can hold off for a while only rear i was in a hurry to make a decision cause if i go that route when the car goes in for paint i can have the gas tank door shaved off
Old 01-13-2005, 10:00 PM   #12
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
I also say stick with the stock tanks. They're very low, and in front of the rear axle. BMW knew what they were doing when they put it there. Save your money from the cell and put it into something else (aka. BMW Club Driving School )
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:11 PM   #13
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB Euro Dire
actually when full the gas tank is located a little behind the rear wheels...
OVERHANGS
#1 reason why ppl who race put a fuel cell is because they need to have the fuel packed and in a place where it's not a overhang
Helps a lot while cornering
if you going to put it in the trunk save the hassle (centering it a bit won't help you out(unless for winter traction
Completely wrong. One, on the E36, the fuel tank is located in front of the rear drivetrain, and it's in about the ideal location for a fuel tank in a chassis, even in the event of a racecar. For this very reason, I don't run a fuel cell in my racecar....I use the stock BMW tank.

A fuel cell is used for two primary reasons on a racecar. One, to avoid fuel starvation / cavitation that comes from high cornering loads. A fuel cell is generally baffled to prevent the fuel from sloshing around (think foam blocks) and to ensure a smooth and consistent fuel delivery at high loads.

Secondly, it's there for safety. It's a steel or aluminum frame, boxed in, containing a bladder (and baffling) to ensure that in the event of a collision, fuel isn't dumped out.

Why the heck anyone would even consider running a fuel cell on the street is beyond me?

Jason, the other thing you'd need to consider with a fuel cell is this; the BMW sending unit is proprietary, which means that the signal getting to the fuel guage in your dash is as well. No fuel cell (particularly with a built-in sending unit) is going to be able to send a signal successfully to your fuel gauge in the dash.

As Nelson says, why put a fuel cell in a car that's only street driven? Spend the money you'd waste on a fuel cell, and use it towards learning how to actually drive; ie, attend a BMWCC driving school.

Or, pay Mark back the money you owe him for the wheels.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:54 PM   #14
duffy325
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8 Ride

Or, pay Mark back the money you owe him for the wheels.

Pat
I was waiting for that. Maybe not alot of the bimmerforums guys come on here.
duffy325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:53 AM   #15
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy325
I was waiting for that. Maybe not alot of the bimmerforums guys come on here.
Now maybe you understand why I was in my previous post in this thread. He doesn't have the money to refund the guy for the wheels but he is asking about racing fuel cells. They start at around $1K USD.

http://www.atlinc.com/suggprice.pdf

MarkD
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: