Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-11-2005, 02:52 PM   #1
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Building an generic exhaust for my eta

So my exhause is toast right after the header. Its cracked there where the gf popped it over the curb, the mufflers rusting, and it just generally leaks and looks like hell.

I am looking at picking up a generic perfomance cat, and some muffler then getting it all welded together with new piping in the summer.

I am not making any purchases right now (so don't try to sell me anything unless you are willing to wait ) but I am trying to get a general idea of what to buy and how much it will cost.

What size piping would be best for a stock e? Should I go stock size or a bit bigger?

Dual inlet cat or single? I know I will need to plug my o2 sensor into my cat so do all cat's have the same o2 bung?

I am not looking to spend a lot of money here (no brullen etc) but am looking for a slightly better muffler look and better sound but not annoying.

Thanks.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:54 PM   #2
MR 325
R3VLimited.com

Send a message via AIM to MR 325
If you want a high flow cat, look for a Magnaflow. You'll need a single in, single out. As far as mufflers, check ebay. They have some great deals on some single in, dual out mufflers that look just like Magnaflow and Borla stuff. Piping... Hmmm... Either 2 inch or 2.25
MR 325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:59 PM   #3
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Thanks, do the cats all take the same o2 sensors?

Stanceiseverything.com
Old 01-11-2005, 03:03 PM   #4
Skunk#1
6th Gear Member

o2 sensor should be before the cat in the pipe, just get a weld in bung, the exhaust shop will know exactly what you need. just take them the o2 sensor you are using.
Skunk#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:04 PM   #5
ara325
holy old school...

You can also find universal mufflers from companies like Remus. The only thing with universal kits is that they tend to be louder than their original counterparts, but on the other side of that coin, they're a lot less expensive.
For a 325, I would go with 2.5" piping...imo...not sure if the fact that it's an eta will make a difference...prolly.

I've been waiting a long time to change my muffler system too, mine's still original. Anyways, my muffler may only last a few more months, but i've been saving for a Remus cat-back system. It's ~ $1000 CAD installed...and worth every cent imo...love the throaty, whory, tone!

ethirty
ara325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:10 PM   #6
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

I dont care about performance. Its a stock eta with over 300 thousand miles how fast can it get?

Thanks skunk.

Stanceiseverything.com
Old 01-11-2005, 06:46 PM   #7
MR 325
R3VLimited.com

You do not need 2.5 piping, no way. 2.25 is good.

Ara, I'm sorry you're wasting that much money on a catback system.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:01 PM   #8
ara325
holy old school...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR 325
You do not need 2.5 piping, no way. 2.25 is good.

Ara, I'm sorry you're wasting that much money on a catback system.
I've shopped around, and everywhere is pretty much 1 K. I had a universal muffler (Ractive actually) with 2.25" piping (connectors) and a high-flow cat on my 318i. I paid $650 CAD installed. It made my car peppier, but it was just too loud...deep but loud. I've heard a tonne of exhausts, as i'm sure you have too, and for me, Remus & Supersprint top my list. It's relatively quiet but gets real throaty when you hit the gas. Brullen's good too, but again, imo, a little too loud.

ethirty
Old 01-11-2005, 07:40 PM   #9
MR 325
R3VLimited.com

I would personally have my own exhaust made [which I am doing] and if it's too loud, add another resonator
Old 01-11-2005, 09:25 PM   #10
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara325
You can also find universal mufflers from companies like Remus. The only thing with universal kits is that they tend to be louder than their original counterparts, but on the other side of that coin, they're a lot less expensive.
For a 325, I would go with 2.5" piping...imo...not sure if the fact that it's an eta will make a difference...prolly.

I've been waiting a long time to change my muffler system too, mine's still original. Anyways, my muffler may only last a few more months, but i've been saving for a Remus cat-back system. It's ~ $1000 CAD installed...and worth every cent imo...love the throaty, whory, tone!
Why are you paying to have a catback system installed? You can do it yourself.....and where is it $1000.00 for a remus catback?

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:39 PM   #11
Skunk#1
6th Gear Member

the larger the pipe the quiter it will be, but a full blown chevy 350 V8 doesnt need 3 inch exhaust to be correct size. plus depending if the car is lowered you will drag on everything. just get 2inch, if you feel like spending a little more go 2 1/4 but even on a stroked 2.7 or .8 i would nt run any bigger, my opinion.
Skunk#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:24 PM   #12
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

My car is lowered, it drags as is, but thats because it is also sagging a little bit. Thanks for the advice you guys.

Stanceiseverything.com
Old 01-12-2005, 12:50 AM   #13
djtbster
R/C JUNKIE

Send a message via MSN to djtbster
why would the larger pipe size, lower the tone of the exhuast, please explain this to me, im quite confused now lol
Old 01-12-2005, 02:00 AM   #14
MR 325
R3VLimited.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk#1
but even on a stroked 2.7 or .8 i would nt run any bigger, my opinion.
That's just insanity you're talking right there. A build motor would need MUCH more than 2 inch to breathe. If you think 2 inch would be fine on a 2.8 stroker type of motor, you know nothing. A stroker should be running 2.5 or bigger. Hell, I will be running single 2.5 on my 325i and I was thinking that may be a bit small. The Eta will be perfect with 2,25
Old 01-12-2005, 11:52 AM   #15
ara325
holy old school...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_M52_M20
Why are you paying to have a catback system installed? You can do it yourself.....and where is it $1000.00 for a remus catback?
I don't have the tools, or resources to install it myself. Also, shop around, and tell me what kind of quotes you get for a Remus cat-back system. I'm not making shit up. I'm not trying to spend more than I have to...trust me, a mortgage is enough to keep my money tied up.
Here's a start http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp convert to CAD, plus taxes & customs (b/c not made in US) + install. Comes close to, if not more, than 1K. Local shops in Toronto quoted me the same $1049 installed.

p.s. you can get a universal Remus muffler for cheap, but it sounds as ricey as most other inexpensive systems.

ethirty

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: