Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-05-2005, 01:12 PM   #16
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecisive
isn' 8000 more of a purple color?

I think it really depends on the manufacturer, but in terms of the kits that randy is selling, the 6000's are purple, and the 8000's are very blue.

Best Mod i ever did. Definately worth all the money.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:16 PM   #17
ChahalzBMR
6th Gear Member

Just remember the higher in colour you go you will sacrifice light output. I stuck with 5300k and got colour and light output. Looks like factory HID lighting and bright as hell! But each to his own.
I enjoy it most when it rains and snows.
97' Jetta - Sold
2006 Ford Freestyle - Sold
Looking for a E46 (00-04)

Steve
ChahalzBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:52 PM   #18
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite
I think it really depends on the manufacturer, but in terms of the kits that randy is selling, the 6000's are purple, and the 8000's are very blue.

Best Mod i ever did. Definately worth all the money.
It's funny cause we have the same kit and my 6000K are blue. I love the way yours looks though and I definitely agree that it's the best mod.
R_JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 02:50 PM   #19
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_JAY
It's funny cause we have the same kit and my 6000K are blue. I love the way yours looks though and I definitely agree that it's the best mod.

Yours are blue? I was looking at them on the PA trip, and they looked purple to me..

Old 01-05-2005, 03:31 PM   #20
///M3 FX
1st Gear Newbie

Ok Finally a topic that im good at Ill do my best to explain to you all about Euro Lighting. If you have further questions after my post e-mail me at Socalem3@hotmail.com and we can see whats in your needs.
///M3 FX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:33 PM   #21
///M3 FX
1st Gear Newbie

A basic overview

First: In Europe on the E36 they got glass projector headlights, here in the US we got crappy plastic headlights that as you can see pit very easily. So upgrading your headlights essentially is going to something that’s OE in Europe (glass projectors). To upgrade to either HID's (also known as Xenon's) or the DDE's (known by some as the angel eyes) they both require first purchasing projector headlights.

It all comes down to what you want to spend, and if you want HID or Xenon’s in your lights as to what I suggest but I’ll do my best as to what I know thus far. First if you’re not aware HID’s or Xenons are bulbs that use a filament and are gas charged for extra output, they’re the super white lights found on high end new cars. They can be added to any E36 projector setup for $300. Adding HID’s to US lights is a horrible idea as they won’t properly diffuse the light and you’ll have it going every which way.

As for projectors, you really have two good choices that are reasonably priced and easily available in the US:

ZKW’s are one of two European OEM setups (the other is Bosch which are more expensive, much harder to get in the US and are essentially the same as the ZKW’s). These are OEM quality and Plug and Play ready to install in your car with Stongard (it’s the plastic covers so you don’t break any glass) will run you $405. ZKW’s are expensive not just for the fact that they’re OEM but they’re made in Europe (think high labor costs) and they’re more expensive to import then the Depo’s especially with the Euro being very high against the US dollar.

Depo’s are literally knock offs of the ZKW’s, they use a slightly thinner projector and a little cheaper materials but if budget is your main goal they’re still a very good light. They’re made in Taiwan (production and import costs are much lower.) Depo’s are a great choice if price is the most important factor.

Last edited by ///M3 FX; 01-05-2005 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:36 PM   #22
///M3 FX
1st Gear Newbie

Color temperature, noted in degrees K, is an indication of the overall color output of the HID bulb included with your kit.

* The higher the K rating, the more "blue/purple" the light output will be. As the K rating goes up, light output goes DOWN..
* The lower the K rating, the more white the light output will be. As the K rating goes down, light output goes UP.

Here's the easiest way to explain this concept and clarify your choice:

* 4500K = Most light output, most white, good looks
* 5000K = Excellent light output, hint of blue / purple, excellent looks
* 6000K = Good light output, blue / purple hue, best looks

Anything over 6,000k is more for show but can still be used on the street but remember The higher Kelvins you go the less light output you get.
Here is a Color Temperature Chart Its a little over exaggerated but it will give you a better prespective
Color Teperature Chart

Last edited by ///M3 FX; 01-05-2005 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:40 PM   #23
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to RevShoT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecisive

can any HID system go into any car? like so can I make my pop up lights HID? I always thought you couldn't.
a guy that comes to the street races sunday night has a corvette with pop up lights hes got HID lighting, its unmistakable i think his is a 2003 not sure
RevShoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:46 PM   #24
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

i bought my Depot's with angel eyes the plug and play set up and corners for a little over 200US, what kind of bulbs did they come with?

to be honest mine are a tad yellowish is there any other bulb i can put in there that will make it slightly more blue without having to buy an HID kit?
Old 01-05-2005, 10:49 PM   #25
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
I have 6000k McCulloch HID and absolutely love it. It is just the right shade of blue and white mix. I would not want anything whiter or bluer and IMO it looks very good as well.

The projectors are DEPO, they are certainly an improvement over stock lighting but I must admit they don't look as good as ZKW. ZKW looks like it was made for the car, while DEPO, upon closer inspection has a cheaper look to it.

Overall I am very very happy for the price.. It's been a while but I still smile and brag to my family about them every time i drive

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:29 PM   #26
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevShoT
a guy that comes to the street races sunday night has a corvette with pop up lights hes got HID lighting, its unmistakable i think his is a 2003 not sure

Tony?

Old 01-06-2005, 12:09 AM   #27
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite
Yours are blue? I was looking at them on the PA trip, and they looked purple to me..
You think so? When I look at them all I see is blue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hids.jpg (121.1 KB, 49 views)
R_JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:54 AM   #28
///M3 FX
1st Gear Newbie

RevShot E-mail me at Socalem3@hotmail and we can figure out whats in your best intrest
Old 01-06-2005, 11:06 AM   #29
RevShoT
6th Gear Member

aww thanks!

i havent got the cash for an HID kit right now, really only sum spare change for sum new bulbs

any idea's? that will fit into my depot? looking for a nice white with a hint of blue
Old 01-06-2005, 11:13 AM   #30
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevShoT
aww thanks!

i havent got the cash for an HID kit right now, really only sum spare change for sum new bulbs

any idea's? that will fit into my depot? looking for a nice white with a hint of blue
If your depot's are using H1, I know some canadian tires are selling silverstars in H1 now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: