Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 6/8 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-23-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
87M6 Chris
1st Gear Newbie

Hi guys, I just found this forum and there seems to be alot of local southern Ont. members here, so I'm hoping to get to meet some other e24 owners this coming season.
I brought up a 1987 M6 from California last Feb. and am in the middle of a complete teardown. Have re-dyed the white interior and am re-building the
s38 engine and 280 tranny this winter so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris
87M6 Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
Old_School
2nd Gear Member

Are you DIYing the rebuilds? The S38 can be finicky, and it and the 280 can be pretty pricy to rebuild. What are you looking at doing for rebuild?

Not much discussion here on the 6/8 forum.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
87M6 Chris
1st Gear Newbie

Yeah, seems pretty quite. I'm doing the whole 9 yards. Engine top to bottom,
rebuild the head with new valve guides, seals, springs, hopeing I can get away with original valves and pistons.Hot tank the block and a light honing on the cylinder walls, new bearing caps, oil pump, all timing chain components. Also a complete rebuild on the 280 tranny. Yeah I know,$$$$$$$
I had to sell my other toy to pay for it, 1975 Triumph TR6 with a custom V8
driveline. I hated to let it go but the M6 will alot more versatile in the long run. The s38 engine has 217,000 miles and was only running at about 50% so I really didn't have a choice. I'm going to do the teardown and re-assembly so I'm hopeing that helps keep the price down.
Chris
87M6 Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
europrince
6th Gear Member

cheers bro!

we look forward to seeing pics of your baby in process
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:08 PM   #5
Old_School
2nd Gear Member

Hey Chris,

Ambitious project, but sounds like you know what you're in for. I'd be worried about the head though - if the lump was at 50% and you have compression or leak-down problems you may be in for huge $$$. The S38 head is 2 piece, and if it's not true it needs to be reshaped, not just shaved. The bottom end is pretty well bullet proof, you may not need to hone the cyl walls (they are supposed to be scored, uniformly, by the way). In any case, the parts for the valve train will run you a few shekels.

The Getrag 280 - well, that's just another story . It may be worth your while to source one that's already rebuilt.

Take lots of pics.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: