Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-04-2002, 10:01 PM   #1
Jesse
2nd Gear Member

Question E36 Automatic vs a typical Honda standard

Ok ... this is like the 10th time a Honda driver has wanted to race me at a stoplight... I have an Automatic so normally I don't bother because I figure they will win hands down (at least, they will get off the line quicker).

What do you guys think? Is it worth trying to race?

I just don't like to loose - it hurts the ego - if it wasn't for my GF, I would have a standard.

Jesse
Old 08-04-2002, 11:38 PM   #2
Lennon
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lennon Send a message via MSN to Lennon
Man, have you ever got your priorities wrong, girlfriend, then the car?

Shoulda just got a standard!!! As far as the beating of a honda, I'm sure if they were stock, and you floored it, you'd be fine. But I'd wait fot the Guru's of MaxBimmer to reply to this before you take my word for it....
Old 08-05-2002, 07:47 AM   #3
Gamite

I used to race a lot when I first got the car, I had no problems running them down.

Dont do it much often anymore though, plus those civics got some major upgrades these days.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 10:53 AM   #4
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I think I can answer this question fairly un-biased. When I first dropped the SIR motor in my wagon (before all my current upgrades) I raced Kevin (Straight_6) who was driving my dad's '94 325is (auto). The only upgrade he has is a K&N panel filter. Off the line I got a slight lead on him in first gear, 2nd and 3rd gears were pretty much even, but as soon as I was in 4th gear (130km/h) he REALLY started to pull away from me. Honda's are generally quick off the line and through the first 3 gears... they don't do that great on the highway (with the exception of a GSR/TypeR Civic -- more torque).

I raced my dad's car lately with $1000's of dollars in upgrades to my motor and the difference is phenominal. I kill him in every gear.... by 4th gear, i'm about 15 car-lengths ahead.... about the same as a slightly modded E36 M3. I guess it's really a gamble, you never know what the little Rice-Rocket has under the hood.

HINT: In my experience, the clean looking hatchbacks lowered with dark wheels (usually no bigger than 16'") are the guys that are serious about speed.... not the Honda's with body kits and gay lighting. Also look for 5-bolt hub conversions!

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 11:10 AM   #5
Jesse
2nd Gear Member

Cool - thanks...

True you never know what kind of upgrades he has. Typically, when I race a Honda he ends up getting about a car length in front of me before I can really give him a race. I dunno but low-end power seems to lack a bit with the 325 automatic, but once I get out of first gear, I am flying.

The girl must come before the car because the girl helps pay for it!

Jesse
Old 08-05-2002, 11:16 AM   #6
Gamite

Oh yea, most of the cars I beat were mostly 4 bangers (no vtec) LOL.. thought that might be important.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 11:21 AM   #7
Lennon
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lennon Send a message via MSN to Lennon
Some guy (about 17 years old) pulled up beside me in his parents jacked up Explorer, I mean, I was just minding my own business, this was just after I bought my ride. So he starts reving his engine, a lot. Light turns green, and I smoked him!!!! I just thougth I'd share that with the rest of you. i was proud.

I know I know, I'm just a light little car, and he's heavy as hell, but it was still cool.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:23 PM   #8
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
I'm gonna say that you'll win the race

i've got an automatic e36 as well and i've raced many hondas, acuras, mazdas, and so the list goes on.

Most cars i've raced they all get a better start than me, but then once i hit the end of 1st gear and switch to 2nd, i kill them! Most cars i've beaten even before i get to third gear because i take 2nd up to the redline and i believe it pushes up to the 100km/h or higher mark by that point.
the only cars i've lost to so far were a nissan maxima, a mustang 5.0 supercharged (it was for fun =), and a e46 330ci on the highway.
The 330ci was pretty close actually, we were neck to neck up to about the 200km/h mark when he started to walk away from me =/
off the line he would have won hands down though.

oh yeah, and i've beaten 'nuff taxis. they always pull to your right side at the stop light ready to gun it and cut you off. I just gun it too and block them in and send them to the end of the line of cars where they belong =)

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 12:23 AM   #9
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

how wud a manual stock 325is do against say a gsr integra???? does any1 have a site with specs and race times of bmw's??

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 09:55 AM   #10
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
not to put down our cars
but i think if the gsr was modded even slightly it would probably have a very good chance of beating the 325i
it might as is, but i have no first hand experience

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 05:37 PM   #11
Lil'Smoothie

I can take my friendwith a 94 GSR in my 89 325is

I drove it and I wasn't to impressed

to me 4 cylinder cars are a waste of space......
there are few 4 cylinders I have interest in
Old 08-15-2002, 05:48 PM   #12
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

i c...put the same motor in a civic hatchback and u'll be running low 14s...around there. now that shud beat a 325i

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: