Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Z series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-07-2004, 01:44 PM   #1
manmanSS
1st Gear Newbie

Idea of buying a 99 M roadster need advice

I am thinking about getting a 98-99 M roadster imported from the states, and I wanted advice on how these cars are reliability and maintanence wise.

1. Is the rear Sub frame issue been sorted has BMW canada been warrantying these even if the car is out of warranty. If not are there any shops that have a proven record in canada.

2. What does regular maintancence consist of.

3. How reliable are they, say if I buy one with 40-50000 kms on it..can I drive it for the next 5-6 years with good maintancnce and care.

thanks..

also if anyone has any advice on importing these cars...any help would be great
manmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:30 PM   #2
crusher
OMGHI2U2

Send a message via Skype™ to crusher
> 1. Is the rear Sub frame issue been sorted has BMW canada been warrantying
> these even if the car is out of warranty. If not are there any shops that have
> a proven record in canada.
I haven't had any problems with the sub frame yet.. knock on wood with 90,000km. I believe that some have gotten something from BMWNA there is a site where they list all the status of the problems.. http://www.extricate.com/subframe/ site is currently down

> 2. What does regular maintancence consist of.
around
~$120 for Oil change
~$160 for break fuild
~$120 switch over tires
~$600-700 for Inspection I
~$1000-1400 for Inspection II

Basically.. its Inspection I and then Oil change and then Inspection II I think it's 25,000 km interval or depends on how you drive. The more agressive you drive the faster the inspections will be.

> 3. How reliable are they, say if I buy one with 40-50000 kms on it..
> can I drive it for the next 5-6 years with good maintancnce and care.

Yeah! just make sure you do the regular maintenance and it's a solid car.

> also if anyone has any advice on importing these cars...any help would be great

Talk to X5HogTown or wait for him to reply. He imported his 01' M Coupe from the states.

Jeff

Sold/Traded-in
2006 M5
2003 M3
2003 Civic Si
2000 M Coupe
1999 M3
1999 323i
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 05:03 PM   #3
manmanSS
1st Gear Newbie

Hey crusher thanks man...just a question, all the fluid changes I was just thinking of doing myself Engine, Trans and Diff, is this feasible of do you need special oil like on the E46 M3's.. Also what do the inspections consist of.

thanks...

Also any special things to look for when looking at these cars
Old 12-07-2004, 05:18 PM   #4
crusher
OMGHI2U2

hey man.. ya if your doing the oils then just use the good ones, there should be a recomended oil at the owners manual.

For mine, I'm using 10w60 which what the e46 m3 and the M5 uses.

- Look for cracks on the subframe of course
- Check the 5th gear issue - when you put the shifter to 5th gear and release it by tapping it slowly see if it sticks at the 5th gear gate. Common on e36's. Usually dealer will replace the tranny if on warranty. Do it when Cold
- Check for oil leaks
- Check for RSM see if its has metal sound when going over small bumps
- Check if all the instruments are working.. some may have gas gauge problems
- Check if all instrument lights are ok. Mine had a burnt out bulb on the temperature gauge.

Other than that the e36 M engines are pretty reliable and solid.

Jeff
Old 12-07-2004, 05:21 PM   #5
manmanSS
1st Gear Newbie

Hey whats RSM...and the 5th gear issue, most of the cars I will be looking at will be out of warranty, if this issue comes up should I just walk away or its not such a big deal.

thanks bro...I wish I can get an M soon...
Old 12-07-2004, 09:02 PM   #6
emthree
7th Gear Woobie

RSM is rear shock mount located at the top of the rear shocks

well the 5th gear issue is not really serious i believe it's just a broken or loose pin in the tranny.. until the tranny is hot it will stick there. but after it's hot it will be back to normal. The only bad thing about the 5th gear thing is that if you mistakenly shift to something you don't want to be shifting in hehe AKA "Miss-shift" then you'll have a very expensive blown engine. I suggest that you try to fine something that doesn't have that issue.

Also, when I looked around for my M Coupe I checked a couple of M Roadster's and e36 M3's most of them doesn't have the issue so I guess the 5th gear issue is not rampant.

Jeff

PS: Oppps posted on my dad's account.. its me crusher
emthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:29 PM   #7
manmanSS
1st Gear Newbie

thanks man..ur info helped a lot...anything else...except for checking normal used cas stuff
thanks man
Old 12-08-2004, 06:59 PM   #8
SpudBoy
Couped up

Send a message via ICQ to SpudBoy
I drove a couple of M roadsters and bought a coupe due to cowel-shake and visibility (top up) issues. No problems since BMW has honoured it's warrenty fully.

Love my ///M

SpudBoy
'99 M Coupe - Imola/Imola
Signature Pictures by Alezone

original BMW parts

To mod or not to mod? That is the question
SpudBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:28 PM   #9
manmanSS
1st Gear Newbie

Just a question..What parts of maintanence of these cars are doable, buy a semi newbie. I mean I can do everything east like fluids and a brake job. But if not how much does stuff like a clutch and stuff cost at the dealer
Old 12-09-2004, 04:54 PM   #10
crusher
OMGHI2U2

heh don't go to the bmw dealers they will rip you off! find a local european mechanic or shop. Just post on the Off-topic section about good shops in Windsor i'm sure there is someone from Windsor here.

The clutch will cost you around $1200 installed. Or you can buy the clutch yourself and then have them install it for you. Remember you have to replace the transmission oil too when you do the clutch and you might aswell replace the seals.

Jeff
Old 12-09-2004, 05:27 PM   #11
punnzzells
Banned

Send a message via MSN to punnzzells Send a message via Yahoo to punnzzells
Quote:
Originally Posted by manmanSS
I am thinking about getting a 98-99 M roadster imported from the states, and I wanted advice on how these cars are reliability and maintanence wise.

1. Is the rear Sub frame issue been sorted has BMW canada been warrantying these even if the car is out of warranty. If not are there any shops that have a proven record in canada.

3. How reliable are they, say if I buy one with 40-50000 kms on it..can I drive it for the next 5-6 years with good maintancnce and care.

thanks..

If you want to buy a MINT 2000 //M roadster that has a RARE FERRARI RED colour... PM me... my buddy is selling his car in the spring... before you buy anything.... you HAVE to check this car out!

this car is toooo ooooooo sexy!

mike.
punnzzells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 06:10 PM   #12
windsor318is
Nitrous Junkie!

just buy it so we have one more car to cruise with in windsor!!!

Al
Old 12-10-2004, 12:05 AM   #13
manmanSS
1st Gear Newbie

I wish I can Windsor318i.....soon hopefully........have u guys found some twistes...in the flat as a pancake southern ontario
Old 12-12-2004, 05:15 PM   #14
GimpZ3
2nd Gear Member

I'll offer you some insight from a previous owner of an ///M Roadster

If you're going through the trouble of importing one, why not get an S54 model? If cost is an issue, M roadies can be had for cheap here in Canada...in particular, Toronto.

If this is a daily driver, I would recommend against buying one. THey're not very practical (2 seats, no trunk, softtop easy to cut open by theives). I wouldn't' even consider driving one in inclement weather either...short wheel base + 240+hp = trouble. Finally, they're not the most stable car to drive fast in. The rear end is very twitchy on the roady, and it literally feels unsafe at speeds higher than 140km/h.

I wanted to get back into a Z series (M Coupe) after I totaled the roadster but because of the subframe issue, I chose not to.

1. The subframe issue has not been sorted out with BMW Canada or NA for that matter. You can always get it reinforced...but why buy a car that has structural issues? Reliability wise, there are electrical issues along with some other minr things as some of the members here mentioned. SRS light (faulty seatbelt), fuel sending unit, shitty glovebox, rattles-galore, cheap interior, rear window creases/top wears out....

Other than that, they're mechanically sound, and not expensive to maintain. If it's out of warranty, I'd recommend maintaining it on your own. Inspection I and II are a complete waste of money. I had it all the way to 125,000kms, and generally had been problem free mechanically.

2. Regular fluid changes (tranny and diff say lifetime oil...but change it), belts, pads, water pump,...new tires every 2 summers depending on ur driving style

3. See above

If you're from windsor, you should recognize this location:

before

after

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmanSS

thanks..

Last edited by GimpZ3; 12-12-2004 at 05:26 PM.
GimpZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:01 PM   #15
manmanSS
1st Gear Newbie

thanks man...good advice...its not really gonna be a daily driver but may see some duty as that...I know my mind says think about the S200 it has warranty.......but then I see that back end and My heart skips a beat...lol

thanks guys.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: