Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-02-2004, 01:27 PM   #1
pbjaxson
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to pbjaxson
Clutch Slippadge

Once I'm going about forty miles an hour if i gun the engine, the RPMs jump like it's in nuetral but I don't accelerate really . I've come to the conclusion that my clutch must be slipzing and I've priced a clutch kit at advanced auto for around 279$. I was wondering if you guys would suggest me purchasing a higher performance one such as maybe an M5 one or somthing (would it fit?) or an aftermarket heavier duty one. I drive my car fairly spirited and I can't stand it when I can't accelerate, so I need to decide pretty soon. Anyone know any good places to check online? Thanks in advance!

EDIT:forgot to post...It's a '84 533i (E28)

Last edited by pbjaxson; 12-02-2004 at 01:31 PM.
pbjaxson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:03 PM   #2
hermen maire
2nd Gear Member

I would stick with the stock OEM stuff like a SACHS clutch kit
these cars come with friken durrable parts and the clutch is one of them.

Save youre money with a stock clutch and when youre in there take youre flywheel to a good machine shop
and get them to shave off some weight you wont believe the difference. Best mod anybody could do if you like engine responce. Awsome mod at 1/8 the price of a light weight flywheel
let me know if you need any details
Old 12-02-2004, 09:17 PM   #3
pbjaxson
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to pbjaxson
Well today I went over to a local german car store (mainly BMW's and Porsche's) and I asked the guy there how much for a clutch kit and he said it would run me about $227 for an M5 one and that would fit but I probably might as well just get the 533i one since my car wouldn't have enough power to really need it. I am planning on doing some small upgrades on the engine (I already have a chip-not installed yet, and I'm thinking about exaust next) should i go ahead and get the M5 one or not? Hermen, that sounds awesome, can you give me some more details on the lightining of my flywheel? Thanks for your feedback
Old 12-04-2004, 09:49 PM   #4
hermen maire
2nd Gear Member

Check PM
let me know if you need anyother
info.
Cheers
Old 12-05-2004, 11:53 PM   #5
windwagen
6th Gear Member

From what I understand, an upgraded clutch may "bite" stronger, but the tradeoff may be jerky engagement, making it difficult, or impossible to drive smoothly. Be careful!

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: