Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-30-2004, 12:21 AM   #1
anaps
for sale

Exclamation Yeah, im the new guy!

Hey everyone! I am new to this forum, as I have just bought my first bmw last week. Im sure you are familiar with my car, it is the white 1986 325 that was owned by Eurostyle and is featured on his business card. I am new to the world of bmw's and doing my own work on cars in general, but I am trying to learn it all, so if I say anything that sounds amatuer, be kind!
Although I would love to winter store this car, unfortunatley I can not afford a winter beater and am going to have to drive it. My intention is to help it last the winter with minimal impact and next spring when i get my bike back on the road, strip it down and restore/upgrade to get it back into prime shape. So, for the winter, I need a few things, but I dont know where to begin, so Im hoping that your help and advice will get me started.
To begin with, it is too low. I cant get into my driveway without scraping the fiberglass body kit, and the muffler hits speed bumps as i go over. Also, the body kit is cracked on all 4 corners from the previous owner, likely for the same reason. I am pretty sure the springs it has are cut, what are the most cost effective options for raising it up? not necessarily to stock height, but just a little higher? are good coilovers worth the investment, or too expensive for the benefit?
Second, what are the best options for bumpers. I would like to take the body kit off over the winter and fix up the cracked fiberglass... where can i get some stock bumpers, or is there some kind that looks better without being so low? someone told me that M3 bumpers would work, is that true, and do they look much better?
I have also posted in the classifieds looking for wheels as I am going to need some winter rims and tires, so if you have a lead on those, that would be great!
thanks everyone for your time, I look forward to being a member of this forum and getting to know/ learning from many of you. feel free to write me back here or personally, I am very excited about my bmw, it is my first bmw and actually my first car (that I have bought anyway, previously drove a civic that my parents bought for me and my sister!). I am 23, and a student at Western in London, Ontario, in case anyone wondered!
later all, Andrew
anaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:37 AM   #2
coolhand
Banned

Welcome. I'm not much of a reader so I read only like the first 25% of the post. :o
coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:28 AM   #3
FastM3
is dreaming of ///M's

Welcome!
FastM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:40 AM   #4
AmaRu
6th Gear Member

Welcome to maX! wow thats cars been around.. how much did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking? how about some pics of its present condition
\__l_l-[-------------]-l_l__/
\____________________/
AmaRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:43 AM   #5
oldskool3
4th Gear Member

Sorry man couldnt make it through the whole post but welcome to max.
oldskool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:04 AM   #6
///Milk
BangSentra

Send a message via ICQ to ///Milk Send a message via AIM to ///Milk Send a message via MSN to ///Milk Send a message via Yahoo to ///Milk Send a message via Skype™ to ///Milk
hey man, welcome to maX!
if you need any advice on the car, just post in the E30 forum ...im pretty sure it'll get responded to a lot quicker

///Milk

2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S
2009 Ford Focus SES Sedan
///Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:20 AM   #7
E36er
West Coast Contact!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekniq
Welcome. I'm not much of a reader so I read only like the first 25% of the post. :o

lol same......

if your gonna write long ...make in VERY interesting!....

ps...Welcome...!!!!!
Old 11-30-2004, 09:58 AM   #8
Miguel
...Delt Smash

cliff notes?

oh and GTFO!!

j/ks
Old 11-30-2004, 10:15 AM   #9
SkycityBMW
6th Gear Member

^^^ what a "Hipster Doofus"

Welcome to maXbimmer ! ! !
Old 11-30-2004, 11:20 AM   #10
Bliss
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaps
Hey everyone! I am new to this forum, as I have just bought my first bmw last week. Im sure you are familiar with my car, it is the white 1986 325 that was owned by Eurostyle and is featured on his business card. I am new to the world of bmw's and doing my own work on cars in general, but I am trying to learn it all, so if I say anything that sounds amatuer, be kind!
Although I would love to winter store this car, unfortunatley I can not afford a winter beater and am going to have to drive it. My intention is to help it last the winter with minimal impact and next spring when i get my bike back on the road, strip it down and restore/upgrade to get it back into prime shape. So, for the winter, I need a few things, but I dont know where to begin, so Im hoping that your help and advice will get me started.
To begin with, it is too low. I cant get into my driveway without scraping the fiberglass body kit, and the muffler hits speed bumps as i go over. Also, the body kit is cracked on all 4 corners from the previous owner, likely for the same reason. I am pretty sure the springs it has are cut, what are the most cost effective options for raising it up? not necessarily to stock height, but just a little higher? are good coilovers worth the investment, or too expensive for the benefit?
Second, what are the best options for bumpers. I would like to take the body kit off over the winter and fix up the cracked fiberglass... where can i get some stock bumpers, or is there some kind that looks better without being so low? someone told me that M3 bumpers would work, is that true, and do they look much better?
I have also posted in the classifieds looking for wheels as I am going to need some winter rims and tires, so if you have a lead on those, that would be great!
thanks everyone for your time, I look forward to being a member of this forum and getting to know/ learning from many of you. feel free to write me back here or personally, I am very excited about my bmw, it is my first bmw and actually my first car (that I have bought anyway, previously drove a civic that my parents bought for me and my sister!). I am 23, and a student at Western in London, Ontario, in case anyone wondered!
later all, Andrew
Personally i would invest in some coilovers if you're planning on driving the car in the winter. This makes it much easier for you to raise the car each fall. You can find a lot of cheap coilover kits these days, but i wouldn't cheap out too much on them...u want them to last dont you?

As far as the bumper goes, there are many bumpers available for your E30, just do a search on ebay, and you'll find tons of used/new ones. Not sure about the M3 bumper fitting though, maybe someone else can help you on that one. Good luck.

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:55 AM   #11
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
M3 bumpers will fit but its not just a straight bolt on they have to be brought in at the sides since a normal e30 does not have fender flares.

I simple higher kit would be the Mtech II.

Mystikal can answer any coilover e30 questions you have basically.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:07 PM   #12
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Hey.. welcome to the forum. Nice to see the car coming back to the maX community.

For raising your car, go with coilovers. For fixing your bodykit.. the best guy to go to is the guy who put the kit on initially... Phil. (Eurostyle). If you really want to swap bumpers, then you'll have to go to the E30 guys to help you out on what's a direct bolt on. I have a feeling some modding was done to get that kit on to fit properly, so it might not be as easy as swapping bumpers in the winter.

Justin
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:15 PM   #13
blu325jewel
3rd Gear Member

Hey, welcome to Max. I read your whole post, not that I can offer advice....
Listen to Justin, he knows everything....
Congratulations on buying your very first BMW, Im glad another BMW lover has joined Max...have fun!
blu325jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:17 PM   #14
ChahalzBMR
6th Gear Member

Welcome!
97' Jetta - Sold
2006 Ford Freestyle - Sold
Looking for a E46 (00-04)

Steve
ChahalzBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:09 PM   #15
Paul540/m3
BMW Individual

Send a message via MSN to Paul540/m3
Hey man, welcome to max
I too go to western and look forward to seeing that car around campus. Like Bliss said get some coilovers as it makes things a lot easier raising and lowering the car.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: