Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-28-2004, 07:37 PM   #1
Bmwstylz
6th Gear Member

buying Audi A4 / Camaro - experiences ?

I can pickup a 94 Camaro SS with LT1 - 6 speed for a great price. any experience here? I know its a big heavy balloon that doesn handle but aside form that 275 hp is fun as hell. I have heard the LT1 is bulletproof . Any comments?

Secondly - I am interested in buying an Audi A4 . Probably a 1.8 T so I can chip it up. Anybody have experience with this or can recommend some good Audi A4 forums?

third - I still love BMWs just looking for something new !

Bmwstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 07:44 PM   #2
SpoolinS6
6th Gear Member

for the 1.8t theyre great cars
get a nice front mount intercooler , chip it , bigger down pipe from the turbo raise the boost a lil , turbo timer boost controler and blow of valve
and youll have one sweet fcukin ride !
Old 11-28-2004, 07:51 PM   #3
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
Camaro SS 6-SPEED..

U will be a fool not to get it.
My neigbour has one and it pulls very hard. very reliable motor compare to the 1.8t.

www.StanceFactory.com
ZiMMie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 07:58 PM   #4
tlaselva
1800+ HP Driveway

Send a message via MSN to tlaselva
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiMMie
Camaro SS 6-SPEED..

U will be a fool not to get it.
My neigbour has one and it pulls very hard. very reliable motor compare to the 1.8t.
Agreed.

LT1 are stout motors.

Relatively inexpensive to mod too.

you can get easy 400 HP with a H/C package, and get about 30 mpg on the highway. Then there's alway's FI if you want to get silly.

2010 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport

2010 GSX-R 750

2003 C5 Z06
LS7 427CI w/ECS Novi 2000 : Caravaggio Widebody and Full Leather & Alcantra Interior
903rwhp/815rwtq : 10.3@152mph
tlaselva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 08:03 PM   #5
Castel
4th Gear Member

although i like the audi more i'd have to lean towards the camaro on this one. if you can get either for a similar price go for the camaro.

solid motor, cheap to mod, will suck gas but that is made up by the savings in parts cost.
Castel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 08:03 PM   #6
Rampage
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiMMie
Camaro SS 6-SPEED..
The Audi is nice, but not over a Camaro SS
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 08:53 PM   #7
///MAC
Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro

camaro ss
engine is way better
and i have an audi lol
audi is ok but u gotta buy into to make it strong (engine wise)
///MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 02:02 AM   #8
moerom
6th Gear Member

Go for the Camaro. Bolt-ons galore and insane speed if you want it.

However, practically, the Quattro drivetrain is very tough and can support very good power. PES T28 conversion on an A4, 13.0-13.5 is normal, so you get the best of both worlds (AWD and power).
moerom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 02:08 AM   #9
///Milk
BangSentra

Send a message via ICQ to ///Milk Send a message via AIM to ///Milk Send a message via MSN to ///Milk Send a message via Yahoo to ///Milk Send a message via Skype™ to ///Milk
Camaro LT1's own....i actually saw a CHP (California Highway Patroll) LT1 and damn...sux to be whoever is gonna eb running from it

///Milk

2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S
2009 Ford Focus SES Sedan
///Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:57 AM   #10
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
LT1 is definately the way to go in all honesty. They're indeed bulletproof... the problems you'll encounter with it are very small.. (i.e. sunglass holder in the interior is prone to breaking). You've got awesome RWD HP (275HP), it's a very inexpensive car. My buddy did a corvette conversion with his Trans Am. (they're both F-Body's). Wasn't expensive to drop in the engine, brakes, and exhaust... and he's laughing now. Mustangs, other Camaro's, etc. all try to race him from the light... never stand a chance. It's great.

Anyway, you can pick up one of these cars for as cheap at $5000 CDN... but most are around $7000-$9000 depending on year and options selected. As mentioned, they're bulletproof.. and actually have quite a few options. They've got loads of room inside... just have to get used to driving such a long car and you'll be fine.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 11:58 AM   #11
GEEE$
4th Gear Member

Both are very strong motors. That 5.7L is a knockout. Talk about throttle response, and brute power...an absolute beast.

The A4 is a phenominal machine. Stock numbers are only so-so, but with about 4k in mods(which is easily done), that car can put low to mid 13's on the board.

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde.

G$
GEEE$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:32 PM   #12
BMetal
3rd Gear Member

Police LT1 Camero VS M3 (E30)

Some of you may have seen this video. It's awesome. Police chase an E30 m3 (the make it out to be an e36, but if you look closely...) with an LT1 Camero Police car.

Check it out.

http://media.eurotuned.com/BMW_nolin...LT1_Camaro.wmv

Let me know if the link doesn't work.

Last edited by BMetal; 11-29-2004 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Put ME instead of M3 in title
BMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 09:41 PM   #13
EstorilM3
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwstylz
I can pickup a 94 Camaro SS with LT1 - 6 speed for a great price. any experience here? I know its a big heavy balloon that doesn handle but aside form that 275 hp is fun as hell. I have heard the LT1 is bulletproof . Any comments?

Secondly - I am interested in buying an Audi A4 . Probably a 1.8 T so I can chip it up. Anybody have experience with this or can recommend some good Audi A4 forums?

third - I still love BMWs just looking for something new !

Re the Audi...

http://www.canadiandriver.com/roadtest/96-01a4.htm

Some parts from the above link...

*...Consumer Reports has included the 1996-2001 Audi A4 1.8T on its list of used vehicles to avoid, principally because of a worse than average record with respect to engine repairs, but engine cooling, electrical and brake problems also caused concern...*

*...A problem with tie rod seals - dirt and moisture could get in causing excessive wear and eventually a very loose steering feel - led Audi to check all A4s for the condition and to recall some vehicles for replacement of tie rods...*

*... Audi has also experienced problems with oil sludge build-up in the 1.8T four-cylinder...Sludge build-up, which manufacturers say is caused by the use of improper engine oil and poor adherence to recommended oil change intervals, could lead to damage of the engine's internal parts. Audi issued technical service bulletins on this problem and has extended the warranty to eight years with unlimited mileage on the 1.8T engine for all Audi A4s built between 1997 and 2004. The extended warranty is transferable. Owners who have experienced engine damage and paid for repairs can request reimbursement for those repairs provided they can prove the appropriate oil was used and changed at the intervals recommended in the owner's manual...*

Upper control arms are another item which have been known to fail frequently on the older A4's.

Braking is a huge problem on the A4's as well...
Lots of people reporting braking problems on the NHTSA web site. Apparently, it has to do with water getting in between the pads, and discs resulting in extraordinarily long braking distances, and in some cases serious crashes.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...in/results.cfm

And, as usual with European cars, watch out for screwed-up electrics/electronics; probably worse in that department than the BMW's.

Other than that, a decent car, particularly in the snow.

Oh, don't even think about chipping or doing any of that nonsense on the Audi if it has a warranty. Audi/VW of Canada will pull the plug on your warranty before you can say, *Chip? What chip?*.
Then, you're fooked BIG time!!!

For Audi forum, try the www.audiworld.com.

The Camaro?

Helluva performance machine!
Crude, no doubt, but it goes like the proverbial stink. You'll be munching on M3's and other riff-raff regularly if you get the SS. They also have a sweet engine roar - a roar only an American-built V8 can make.

Yes, yes, the Camaro was made in Quebec, but the engineering is all Yank.

Keep in mind, the Camaro is a death trap in the snow, and the Quattro is nothing but a burden on dry roads.
EstorilM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:03 PM   #14
///MsAniTy
6th Gear Member

go wit the camero rwd baby
///MsAniTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 11:29 PM   #15
Ryousuke
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ryousuke Send a message via AIM to Ryousuke
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMetal
Some of you may have seen this video. It's awesome. Police chase an E30 m3 (the make it out to be an e36, but if you look closely...) with an LT1 Camero Police car.

Check it out.

http://media.eurotuned.com/BMW_nolin...LT1_Camaro.wmv

Let me know if the link doesn't work.

Even though the chase looks nice I bet the cop wasn't pushing the car. They never do for their safety and for the safety of the driver of the car. I bet he could of caught that car NO problem with teh Vette engine in it ;\
Ryousuke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: