Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > X series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-19-2005, 12:02 AM   #1
sonny
6th Gear Member

Exclamation 2002 X5 Problem (Trunk door noise/flimsy steering/delayed navigation screen)

We have a 2002 4.4 X5 and we have had the same three problems with it since the day we bought it. Specifically, the trunk door rattles (makes alot of noise, almost like it is loose) when we drive. We go over a tiny bump and the trunk door makes a banging sound.

Secondly, the steering on the car is very loose. By this, I mean that as we drive, the car pulls aggresively to the right and left. Also, as we slow down the car to stop, the entire steering wheel turns to the right or left (it doesn't stay straight). In addition, when we go over bumps the entire steering unit makes a banging sound, almost like it is about to come right off. The first day we drove this car, the steering was stiff and tight. Now it is very flimsy, like a minivan. After numerous services, it just isn't the same.

Thirdly, the navigation screen doesn't turn on when we start the car. It takes 5-10 minutes before it comes again. The dealership keeps "reprogramming it" so they say, but it's still an issue.

We have had these problems serviced at BMW Mississauga 4 times for the same issues and each time they are unable to fix it. We have had a terrible experience with BMW Mississauga's service. They need to get some real mechanics in the shop. We send the car for say, 5 problems, we get the car back and it still has 5 problems.

We're taking the X5 for service AGAIN this week. This is the last time we take it to Mississauga. If they fail to fix it the fifth time, we're going to Budd's or Autohaus. What we really need is someone from head office (ideally a mechanic from Germany to work on this car). Any thoughts?

Last edited by sonny; 01-19-2005 at 12:10 AM.
sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:07 AM   #2
tlaselva
1800+ HP Driveway

Send a message via MSN to tlaselva
Go to Autohaus.
Had the same problem with my X5 (noisy rear), and then progressed to the point it wouldn't close. They fixed it quick and properly. I should add though, after 6 months, it's starting to make noise again.
Irregardless of the noise, their service is the best I've experienced in any automotive experience.

I've spoken with several X5 owners and apparently this noisy latch is a common problem with the X5's for a while now.

Next time I hear anyone blabbing about the substandard interior quality of domestics......

2010 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport

2010 GSX-R 750

2003 C5 Z06
LS7 427CI w/ECS Novi 2000 : Caravaggio Widebody and Full Leather & Alcantra Interior
903rwhp/815rwtq : 10.3@152mph

Last edited by tlaselva; 01-19-2005 at 11:11 AM.
tlaselva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:00 PM   #3
X5HogTown
Goin' Diesel

Only 3 problems? You're lucky. My 2001 has had dozens of problems. Good news though, once they're fixed, it's done for good.

Flimsy steering? The lower control arms need to be replaced. Bad bushings. They have done mine twice. OK now.

Mississauga has the experience to fix. Just speak to Sheldon.

Good Luck!
X5HogTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 05:44 PM   #4
sonny
6th Gear Member

I disagree. You just pointed out some reasons why my steering may be flimsy. BMW Mississauga keeps telling me there is nothing wrong with it. Sheldon is a good guy, but he's not fixing my car so it's irrelevant who I book the car with.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:23 PM   #5
tlaselva
1800+ HP Driveway

Send a message via MSN to tlaselva
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny
I disagree. You just pointed out some reasons why my steering may be flimsy. BMW Mississauga keeps telling me there is nothing wrong with it. Sheldon is a good guy, but he's not fixing my car so it's irrelevant who I book the car with.
What you need to do is have someone with a X5 that can directly compare to yours to, best way to determine whether there's a diff or not, and you drive his too.

2010 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport

2010 GSX-R 750

2003 C5 Z06
LS7 427CI w/ECS Novi 2000 : Caravaggio Widebody and Full Leather & Alcantra Interior
903rwhp/815rwtq : 10.3@152mph
tlaselva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:34 PM   #6
X5HogTown
Goin' Diesel

Did their head mechanic (forgot his name) drive it around the block? He'll tell you what's wrong in a second. Go with him and describe the problem.

I had exactly the same symptoms and it was the control arms.
X5HogTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:57 PM   #7
sonny
6th Gear Member

Yes, we had a mechanic drive it, he couldn't find anything. On our visit next week, we're getting the head mechanic to drive it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: