Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-24-2004, 05:09 PM   #31
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan
So what is this homemade concoction. Please do share and tell.
sure.. but I doubt most on this forum would know what I'm talking about.
It's a home brewed mixture of Calcium Magnesium Acetate, dolomitic lime, and acetic acid this is powdered then boiled in water for around 10-15 mins to disolve the particles, they will remain suspended in the water. I add this to a bottle of winter windshield washer fluid (though even if it just stays in water, it still won't freeze into ice until around -40 degrees celcius). Works awesome and 1000x better than "liquid heat" deicers and such from Canadian Tire.

This is completely environmentally friendly and will not harm your cars paint as a brine salt + water concoction would, or glycol, or urea based liquid deicers would.

Only takes a few mins to make... and makes winter a hell of a lot easier to live with. A quick spray on my wipers if they're frozen to the glass. On my windows... even my driveway if it's iced over.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 05:23 PM   #32
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

Start the car, put my seat heater 1 minute warm up then drive out slowly, put my heating on in 2 minutes.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:33 PM   #33
V-Thang
6th Gear Member

I get in my car, turn it on with the heater off!! I just turn the rear defroster on... Let the car run for a 1minute or till the ilde needle get to about 1500rpm. Weird but with this engine, when its cold out and I start the car, the rpm jumps to around 1800rpm and starts going down the longer I let the car run... I think its the automatic warm up sensor for the engine... so like after a minute or letting it run, the needle drops to 1500rpm and I pull out and drive no more than 3000rpm till the temp gauge is at middle.

Anyone else's car jumps to like 1800rpm when the first turn it on when its cold out?
V-Thang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:24 PM   #34
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

I have a 5 min drive to school, so my car doesn't even heat up fully. I just drive like grandma all the way.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 02:37 PM   #35
Conan
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
It's a home brewed mixture of Calcium Magnesium Acetate, dolomitic lime, and acetic acid this is powdered then boiled in water for around 10-15 mins to disolve the particles, they will remain suspended in the water. I add this to a bottle of winter windshield washer fluid (though even if it just stays in water, it still won't freeze into ice until around -40 degrees celcius). Works awesome and 1000x better than "liquid heat" deicers and such from Canadian Tire.

This is completely environmentally friendly and will not harm your cars paint as a brine salt + water concoction would, or glycol, or urea based liquid deicers would.

Only takes a few mins to make... and makes winter a hell of a lot easier to live with. A quick spray on my wipers if they're frozen to the glass. On my windows... even my driveway if it's iced over.
OK Im sold. Will I get this feeling IF I inadvertently mistaken it for gatorade? lol

Seriously, can you make some for me?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ride7.jpg (19.8 KB, 1194 views)
Old 12-07-2004, 02:57 PM   #36
super_namer
2nd Gear Member

Quote:

being a chemistry student, i see that the acetic acid and actetate would help with melting, but where did you get this stuff?

my mixture is isopropyl alcohol and methanol.
super_namer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 03:08 PM   #37
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_namer
being a chemistry student, i see that the acetic acid and actetate would help with melting, but where did you get this stuff?

my mixture is isopropyl alcohol and methanol.
I have access to a varity of different chemicals and compounds. I do a lot of basement chemistry actually.

prop alcohol and methanol would work too, but less effectively I'd assume no?.... any problems with it smudging the glass?.. Something I should look into for improving my formula.. thanks. Both easy to aquire too...
Old 12-07-2004, 03:17 PM   #38
super_namer
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
I have access to a varity of different chemicals and compounds. I do a lot of basement chemistry actually.

prop alcohol and methanol would work too, but less effectively I'd assume no?.... any problems with it smudging the glass?.. Something I should look into for improving my formula.. thanks. Both easy to aquire too...
what molarity is the acetic? i would guess that would hurt the finish of the paint... cuz it does burn my hand. LOL
Old 12-07-2004, 03:54 PM   #39
Justin e36
---

Quote:
what molarity is the acetic? i would guess that would hurt the finish of the paint... cuz it does burn my hand. LOL
burns your hands? ... you sure you're talking about the same thing? Acetic acid is a moderate irritant to your skin. Similar to vinegar. I can't see it burning your hands, since acetic acid is used as a food preservative.

But I could be wrong.. you're the chem expert. I'm just a hobbyist. (my basement chemistry focuses more on things you would not learn in school)

How well does your solution work?
Old 12-07-2004, 04:02 PM   #40
super_namer
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
burns your hands? ... you sure you're talking about the same thing? Acetic acid is a moderate irritant to your skin. Similar to vinegar. I can't see it burning your hands, since acetic acid is used as a food preservative.

But I could be wrong.. you're the chem expert. I'm just a hobbyist. (my basement chemistry focuses more on things you would not learn in school)

How well does your solution work?
by no means am i a chem expert, just taking it for prerequisites for med school haha.
but well i guess in the lab we use more concentrated acetic acid... not really burn but ya, irritant. anyways, its not good for the skin lol.

its working well.
its not like most ppl would EXPECT it to magically be sprayed on and it disappear right away.
today in ottawa we had some thick freezing rain. i made another batch of ledd diluted solution and it worked quite well. spray on. wait about 30 seconds to a minute (about the time i need to spray the rest of the windows) come back and squeegee it off.

im gonna try to put it in my windshield washer tank too... hopefully that will work well.

and your solution? do you just spray it on and it magically disappears?
Old 12-07-2004, 04:04 PM   #41
vinay
2nd Gear Member

I have Rain-X (yellow) washer fluid .. which is supposedly a de-icer ... thi smorning ()First snow for me) .. i had ice on all sides... but my front windshield was like liquidy and just slid off .. no scraping...

im wondering if rain-x washer fluid is a good de-icer treatment for the rest of us non-chemically-oriented people?
vinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:06 PM   #42
super_namer
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay
I have Rain-X (yellow) washer fluid .. which is supposedly a de-icer ... thi smorning ()First snow for me) .. i had ice on all sides... but my front windshield was like liquidy and just slid off .. no scraping...

im wondering if rain-x washer fluid is a good de-icer treatment for the rest of us non-chemically-oriented people?
read the ingredients... im sure some of them will be stuff me and justin are talking about...

how long did it take for it to melt the ice?

try it out... put it in a spray bottle and give 'er a go.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:13 PM   #43
super_namer
2nd Gear Member

Quote:

i dont think you would be able to mix them because i dont think acids and alcohols are miscible...
Old 12-07-2004, 04:36 PM   #44
Justin e36
---

Quote:
by no means am i a chem expert, just taking it for prerequisites for med school haha.
but well i guess in the lab we use more concentrated acetic acid... not really burn but ya, irritant. anyways, its not good for the skin lol.

its working well.
its not like most ppl would EXPECT it to magically be sprayed on and it disappear right away.
today in ottawa we had some thick freezing rain. i made another batch of ledd diluted solution and it worked quite well. spray on. wait about 30 seconds to a minute (about the time i need to spray the rest of the windows) come back and squeegee it off.

im gonna try to put it in my windshield washer tank too... hopefully that will work well.

and your solution? do you just spray it on and it magically disappears?
Hmm.. your solution sounds far easier to make than mine. I'm going to give it a shot. What's the freezing point of this concoction? ... depending on how thick the ice it, may require multiple applications.. but not usually. When I park the car I usually spray all the windows and leave it on... rarely does any ice at all form on the windows after that. Takes around 30 secs max to work.. but works well.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:41 PM   #45
super_namer
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Hmm.. your solution sounds far easier to make than mine. I'm going to give it a shot. What's the freezing point of this concoction? ... depending on how thick the ice it, may require multiple applications.. but not usually. When I park the car I usually spray all the windows and leave it on... rarely does any ice at all form on the windows after that. Takes around 30 secs max to work.. but works well.

i cant find literature values for it... but it should be around -40 to -60....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: